Thread: Need Help regarding VR4 Driveshaft (swap project)

Name
    Derry
    Last Online
    12-07-2013
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Mitsubishi Gala

Need Help regarding VR4 Driveshaft (swap project)

Still currently doing 6G72TT project, while after successfully put and turned on the engine I found another major problem

I'm trying to put yoke from GTO VR4 into Galant VR4's prop shaft to make this AWD thing work, besides Galant VR4's yoke won't fit into GTO VR4's transfer case.

Turn out their dimension size is different (gonna take picture later), Yoke from GTO VR4 has longer diameter and won't fit since prop shaft from Galant VR4 has smaller diameter

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...tYokeGTO-1.jpg

Tried to use U-joint from Montero / Pajero, it fits GTO VR4's yoke but won't fit into prop shaft which is obviously U-joint from Galant VR4's driveshaft can't fit into GTO VR4's yoke

any suggestion about what type of joint that can fit into both ?

here's a picture or two of my project, not a great project overall but will be my satisfaction if this project can be done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcTvf092MMA&edit=ev&feature=uenh
    http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...0622-00058.jpg
    http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...r/IMG_0614.jpg
    Last edited by hayase; 15-09-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Interesting project! Sounds like you'll be needing to cut-and-shut the GTO and the VR4 ones so you've got something that will fit both ends correctly.

Name
    Derry
    Last Online
    12-07-2013
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Mitsubishi Gala

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    Interesting project! Sounds like you'll be needing to cut-and-shut the GTO and the VR4 ones so you've got something that will fit both ends correctly.
    I know the purpose is to hold them together and might to do it in case of no other way out, but it will be PITA just incase one of them is broken need to be replaced

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Have you tried using the hub and bearing from the GTO to see if they fit into the VR4 hub carrier?.
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by hayase View Post
    Still currently doing 6G72TT project, while after successfully put and turned on the engine I found another major problem

I'm trying to put yoke from GTO VR4 into Galant VR4's Driveshaft to make this AWD thing work, besides Galant VR4's yoke won't fit into GTO VR4's transfer case.

Turn out their dimension size is different (gonna take picture later), Yoke from GTO VR4 has longer diameter and won't fit since driveshaft from Galant VR4 has smaller diameter

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...tYokeGTO-1.jpg

Tried to use U-joint from Montero / Pajero, it fits GTO VR4's yoke but won't fit into driveshaft which is obviously U-joint from Galant VR4's driveshaft can't fit into GTO VR4's yoke

any suggestion about what type of joint that can fit into both ?

here's a picture or two of my project, not a great project overall but will be my satisfaction if this project can be done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcTvf092MMA&edit=ev&feature=uenh
    http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...0622-00058.jpg
    http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...r/IMG_0614.jpg
    the picture you have posted up is the prop shaft.
    I think you need to start calling the part you refer to as "driveshft" a "proppellar shaft" (prop shaft for short) as it is known over here. it will save a lot of confusion.
    if the prop shaft is the same length as the gto vr4 will it not bolt up to the existing galant prop shaft, or try replacing the entire galant prop shaft with the gto VR4 propshaft, i know it is a long shot but it beats getting a custom prop shaft made.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Derry
    Last Online
    12-07-2013
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Mitsubishi Gala

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    the picture you have posted up is the prop shaft.
    I think you need to start calling the part you refer to as "driveshft" a "proppellar shaft" (prop shaft for short) as it is known over here. it will save a lot of confusion.
    if the prop shaft is the same length as the gto vr4 will it not bolt up to the existing galant prop shaft, or try replacing the entire galant prop shaft with the gto VR4 propshaft, i know it is a long shot but it beats getting a custom prop shaft made.
    different place different name i guess, yeah at other place they call it driveshaft so kinda confusing

sorry for putting so little information since this project is not finish yet. GTO VR4's shaft has different length, besides rear diff from GTO VR4 can't fit that's why I still use Galant VR4 and / or EVO IV rear diff but let me take and review again your idea, will grab the 5-speed gto driveshaft again to see if I miss something. I'll do anything to finish this project

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Oh right!! propshaft!, what about buying a UJ kit Universal joint kit, (the small cross shaped piece that holds the two pieces together), it is held in with circlips, then you can separate the original from the GTO and join it to the VR4 using the UJ joint kit. Just need to check if the uj's are the same size.
    Otherwise, having a prop made up is one of the easier things to get done, a propshaft place or any engineering firm will cut and join the two shafts together for you.

Name
    Derry
    Last Online
    12-07-2013
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Mitsubishi Gala

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Oh right!! propshaft!, what about buying a UJ kit Universal joint kit, (the small cross shaped piece that holds the two pieces together), it is held in with circlips, then you can separate the original from the GTO and join it to the VR4 using the UJ joint kit. Just need to check if the uj's are the same size.
    Otherwise, having a prop made up is one of the easier things to get done, a propshaft place or any engineering firm will cut and join the two shafts together for you.
    tried U joint from montero / pajero but let me try if aftermarket U Joint conversion kit can get it done. If you mean to separate joint from GTO then it will take some times, it was staked in so I probably leave it to my mechanic to remove it if needed, besides i think it's faster to use from Montero / Pajero

a made up prop ? care to explain it in great and longer detail
    Last edited by hayase; 15-09-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Take your VR-4 one and your GTO one to a local engineering firm and ask them to join the two together to x length. Won't cost you much at all.

Name
    Derry
    Last Online
    12-07-2013
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Mitsubishi Gala

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    Take your VR-4 one and your GTO one to a local engineering firm and ask them to join the two together to x length. Won't cost you much at all.
    take Galant VR4's entire prop shaft and GTO VR4's yoke to local engineering ? Got it gonna do it, hope those guys will be able to put these 2 together

will update after I got feedback from them

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Just make sure they can balance the prop shaft afterwards otherwise you could get some horrible vibration, anyone can weld 2 pieces of metal tube together but not evryone can do it properly and even less can balance it afterwards, be careful.
    If the prop shaft joint fails at any time, the remainder of the shaft has the potential to dig into the ground and flip the car over in a horrible crash.
    The prop shaft failed on my mums old avenger many years ago and did exactly as i have described, it dug into the ground and flipped the car over and down an embankment, she was lucky to be alive. Admittedly the avenger did not have a center bearing, but it could still end badly.

Be warned!