paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

Quote Originally Posted by gallvr4 View Post
    paul,i mean this in the nice's possiable way......but ....... you have some set of balls on ya.......fair play for informing people of your bad news.....

heading for a check-up this week because of your thread .....so thank you

best of look with your treatment and so on

brendan
    no... it just the one ball now brendan

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

Just had more news tho its not good an old work mate's bone cancer has came back im absolutely gutted for him. looks like i will have to catch up with him soon to make sure he knows he has the support of friends even if we live 200 miles away from each other. what a rubbish day!

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    09-06-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4/tdi passat

Quote Originally Posted by bingo999 View Post
    Just had more news tho its not good an old work mate's bone cancer has came back im absolutely gutted for him. looks like i will have to catch up with him soon to make sure he knows he has the support of friends even if we live 200 miles away from each other. what a rubbish day!
    thats rough. I guess he's lucky to have someone to back him up who understands what he's going through.

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

Quote Originally Posted by ex-derv View Post
    thats rough. I guess he's lucky to have someone to back him up who understands what he's going through.
    Cheers Tim, and yea we have been there for each other for a long time now He's a great guy. he dosent deserve this at 24 then again no one deserves it.

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

Right here's the latest, its not good. the cancer has spread.. again, its now in my lung, liver, neck and in the node between the aorta and vena cava, so its safe to say the operation was a complete waste of time. im at a complete wreck atm i dont know what to say to friends and family, this has now became a "stage 4" cancer its still curable but its a very harsh treatment, its called Intensive chemo and im yet to look into it. i have an appointment on tuesday with my consultant i will find out more then. and will keep you all informed. im completely gutted.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

Oh Paul

I don't know how to console you given such dire news, I will however stay in the chat room tonight for you if you need someone to just talk to.
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie View Post
    Oh Paul

I don't know how to console you given such dire news, I will however stay in the chat room tonight for you if you need someone to just talk to.
    cheers but i am popping out in a bit anyway m8 need to see Zac then coming home and getting blind drunk!

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    09-06-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4/tdi passat

I've been looking at this for a while a bit unsure what to say to be honest.....................it's got to be something about using the good people around you to lean on and doing all you can to be positive. Try and distract yourself over the weekend (if thats possible) and wait and see what they say on tuesday. Can't imagine how you must be feeling.

Name
    Nasir
    Last Online
    16-09-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant VR-4

hey m8, jst seen ur update on here.
    Keep ur head up and stay strong, there will be better days... :-)
    Nasir

Name
    tim
    Last Online
    28-03-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum

Wow Paul...thats some story. I just wanted to share some things with you.
    I had TC 17 years ago and was very lucky to discover a problem, have it diagnosed and operated within two weeks. Mine turned out to be teratoma and they gave me all the usual follow up tests - blood tests, CT scans etc. Once again I proved to be lucky and no follow up treatment was necessary thank God. I have had many thiughts in the intervening years and I treat my life as something much more special now. Gone are the days where one thinks that "it won't happen to me, it'll happen to someone else". Well we are all the someone else and life is a lottery - that's the plain simple truth and the best way to approach life is to be calm and positive.
    I recall the time that I became ill was very stressful indeed and I have often wondered if my stress helped to create a damaging effect within my body. I have since found the calming properties of meditation. Now this may not be for everybody but the human body has two minds - the concious mind (that allows us to create the desire to buy fantastic cars (I have a pfl Leggie) and then act upon it) and the body mind, which is a whole side of our bodies that controls itself (we breathe automatically, without concious thought. Our cut skin heals itself). I feel it is very important to create a calm atmosphere within ourselves so that our body can have the strongest and healthiest opportunity to keep itself well. Now some people will think of this as hippy bollocks, but it makes good sense to me, and now that I have had a life threatening scare, the odd twinges that we all get can take on a whole new different set of worrying thoughts. I guess thats the price we have to pay for free thought and having emotions.
    I wish you well Paul in the coming years and hope that you are over the worst. Live life hard and well, we are all a long time dead... Cheers old son. Tim

Name
    jamil
    Last Online
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum PfL

cheers but i am popping out in a bit anyway m8 need to see Zac then coming home and getting blind drunk!
    Sugar, cancers favourite food. Sorry to keep harping on about nutrition but with it, you can triple your chances of success. A 1992 study from Finland showed a 15% five year mortality rate for lung cancer patients with chemo alone but 45% rate for chemo + nutritional therapy.

Also look at Donaldson MS. Nutrition and cancer: a review of the evidence for an anti-cancer diet. Nutr J. 2004 Oct 20;3:19. (pdf from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15496224)

Tim is right about meditation; you yourself admitted that your initial cancer was diagnosed after working heavy shifts with no time off and lots of stress.

The additional stress cancer is causing and how you are dealing not only with that but also with the stresses that probably made it worse in the first place will be a make or break thing for you.

Lest it be said i am being callous and / or ignorant, we all get cancer everyday. Most of the time we fight it off but its when we can't, that's when it takes hold. Chemo is destroying your immune system as well as the cancer. How are you building it back up again between sessions?

You say you are a chef: Try the cookbooks Silver Spoon (Italian) and Vefa's Kitchen (Greek) from Amazon, they are really good, and i'm the first in three generations of my family not to be a chef......

Best to worst foods for cancer patients.jpg

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

CHeers Jamil, i will look into that mate, i know you are trying to help.

Name
    John
    Last Online
    21-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum

I agree with the last two. A bit of meditation ( I do Transcendential Meditation ) will reduce your stress levels and improve your general wellbeing considerably and only takes 20 minutes of your time. It is very easy to learn from a qualified practitioner. Well worth it.
    Proverbs 20:29

Name
    John
    Last Online
    21-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum

Name
    tim
    Last Online
    28-03-2012
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum

So saddened to hear your **** news Paul. My feelings go out to you big time.
    If you can find a way to keep positive when the dark shadows appear to surround you, I'm sure I speak for everybody who has read your posts that they wish you all the strength and best in the world possible. Hang in there old son - we're all sending you positive thoughts. The best of luck on Tuesday, and indeed for the forthcoming challenge. You can do it mate......

Name
    jamil
    Last Online
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum PfL

CHeers Jamil, i will look into that mate, i know you are trying to help.
    We'd all be much happier if we saw you getting better. Do you have anyone that can work with you on this; like making sure you are eating the right foods, doing meditation, accompanying you to appointments and reminding you of issues to bring to attention?

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

Quote Originally Posted by VR457 View Post
    We'd all be much happier if we saw you getting better. Do you have anyone that can work with you on this; like making sure you are eating the right foods, doing meditation, accompanying you to appointments and reminding you of issues to bring to attention?
    yea, mum comes to most of my appointments are attended with my mum however as for nutrition im on my own on that front so try to eat healthy but do slip up now and then.

Name
    jamil
    Last Online
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum PfL

Given the advanced level your cancer is at, you could do with somebody at your beck and call. It's a lot to manage on your own.

Basically, the schedule would involve preparing healthy food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, going for walks and building up to exercise, relaxing and meditation, keeping visits to / from friends.
    On top of that its the medicine schedule and knowing what nutrients, the medicine is depleting, to support the body with.
    Psychologically, the stress needs to be addressed, the meaning you have in the life you have lived, what you want out of the rest of your life, goals, motivation and depression.
    Also, if you're 'morbid' like some of us, it's about writing your will and keeping it under your pillow, and preparing for eventualities. It's something we all have to face, none of us have guarantees in this regard.

Keep going! There is a story about a cancer patient who set up a support group and was still going 20 yrs later (Yalom, Love's Executioner). I was reading last night about a painter who lost his sense of colour but adjusted to it and eventually did not want his colour vision back, claiming he had reached a 'purer' level (Sacks, An Anthropologist on Mars). People routinely say cancer was the best thing that happened to them as it forced them to reassess their priorities, habits, love and lives, and they not only survived but thrived.

Unfortunately, a lot of people buckle under the impact of the illness and join the fatality statistics. Since you are sharing your story here, we can keep wishing for you but we can't do much more. But you can.

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

cheers m8 and dont worry im not giving up without a fight! i refuse to let this cancer win, i appreciate all the support from you all. it has made me re-asses my priorities and especially my job. im not sure once i recover from this i will stay in, its a very stressful type of job so will be looking into other jobs. one thing i will never forget is all the good times i have had in the navy and the places i have seen, my sister suggested i sell the house and use the equity to go and enjoy myself. however the house is part of my legacy. it forms part of my will and i have listed exactly what i want to go where.

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

As ever Cheers guys, im keeping my spirits high, it gave me a hell of a shock on friday but im feeling a lot more positive now. so thats all good. looking forward to getting the info tomoz from my consultant then how we go about treatment, had planned with you lot to go to Japfest 2012 but till i know more thats been cancelled.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast