Last Online
    12-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    3000GT VR4/

Which value do you want?

Saf
    Last edited by SAF68; 18-05-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

Speaking of values, can someone outline the functions behind Coil Settings 1, 2 & 3? I need to increase dwell to hopefully resolve an intermittent spark blowout issue, a couple of the above tables seem to be time vs voltage with values in the regions of what I am looking for, but as there is no definition behind each table I'm not willing to risk it without a second opinion
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Saphir
    Last Online
    12-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    3000GT VR4/

Hello Foxdie , Go with HKS dli , if you've missfire !

The Twin Power Ignition Amplifier is an easy-to-install ignition upgrade that continuously monitors the charge condition of the coil to allow the system to recharge to its maximum capacity without overcharging. The Twin Power provides optimum spark duration and voltage output resulting in crisper throttle response & more horsepower. it is a combination of CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) and Transistor ignition in one package. The CDI segment is effective a producing high voltage, but only for a short time period, like most performance ignitions on the market. Therefore, the Transistor segment controls current to the coil (impedance matching circuit) & promotes a longer spark duration. The combination of the CDI & Transistor system creates higher RPM horsepower & lower RPM throttle response. This system amplifies the stock ignition, but does not replace your existing system.

Saf

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

All of the settings in various tables for running E85 would be nice, if you don't mind sharing them.

Quote Originally Posted by SAF68 View Post
    Which value do you want?

Saf

Name
    Bill
    Last Online
    20-07-2022
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2000 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie View Post
    Speaking of values, can someone outline the functions behind Coil Settings 1, 2 & 3? I need to increase dwell to hopefully resolve an intermittent spark blowout issue, a couple of the above tables seem to be time vs voltage with values in the regions of what I am looking for, but as there is no definition behind each table I'm not willing to risk it without a second opinion
    I can look at the disassmbly and let you know exactly what each table is doing... if you want to increase dwell, i'd play with coil table 2 from memory.

Also note - Shtiv's played with these tables, there is a hidden adder of about 1ms or something like that from what the table show you. It's on my to-do list to workout whats actually going on here (and how the three tables are related), but he scoped it and the timings are 1ms out. he might be able to elaborate on this more.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Again, thanks to Merlin for the Evo definitions which gave the names and scalings.

I still can't find any adder, though I haven't spent a LOT of time on it.

<scaling name="BatteryVoltage" units="Volts" toexpr="x*75/1024" frexpr="x*1024/75" format="%.2f" min="0" max="18.75" inc="0.5" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>
    <scaling name="ChargeCurrent" units="Alternator Max Charge Current - Ampere" toexpr="x*80/256" frexpr="x*256/80" format="%.1f" min="0" max="255" inc="1" storagetype="uint8" endian="big"/>
    <scaling name="ChargeTime" units="mS" toexpr="x*0.064" frexpr="x/0.064" format="%.2f" min="0" max="255" inc="1" storagetype="uint8" endian="big"/>
    <scaling name="ChargeTimeOffset" units="mS" toexpr="x/256" frexpr="x*256" format="%.3f" min="0" max="255" inc="1" storagetype="uint8" endian="big"/>

<table name="Ignition Coil - Dwell Time" category="Ignition Parameters" address="11fba" type="2D" scaling="ChargeTime">
    <table name="Battery" address="2cec4" type="Y Axis" elements="9" scaling="BatteryVoltage"/>
    </table>

<table name="Ignition Coil - Dwell Correction RPM" category="Ignition Parameters" address="10524" type="1D" scaling="RPMLimit_16bit"/>

<table name="Ignition Coil - Dwell Time Correction 2" category="Ignition Parameters" address="11fd6" type="2D" scaling="Percent128_8bit">
    <table name="Battery" address="2cec4" type="Y Axis" elements="9" scaling="BatteryVoltage"/>
    </table>

<table name="Ignition Coil - Dwell Time Correction 1" category="Ignition Parameters" address="11fc8" type="2D" scaling="ChargeTimeOffset">
    </table>

Name
    Saphir
    Last Online
    12-03-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    3000GT VR4/

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    All of the settings in various tables for running E85 would be nice, if you don't mind sharing them.
    For sure , but now , i'm try to obtain a solid LTFT & STFT ... NEED times

Saf

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

I actually started looking into this last night, doing a lot of reading and finally settling on the following as being the best possible definitions for the tables (these were published by Merlin literally 3 months ago to the day) and is the result of a lot of work by some smart guys on evolutionm.net.

I can't guarantee these are instantly compatible with our cars, but should serve as a great reference point to update the defs, usage info is after the following XML;

Code:
    <!-- SCALINGS -->

<scaling name="ChargeTime" units="mS" toexpr="x*0.064" frexpr="x/0.064" format="%.2f" min="0" max="16.32" inc="0.064" storagetype="uint8" endian="big"/>

<scaling name="BatteryVoltage" units="Volts" toexpr="x*75/1024" frexpr="x*1024/75" format="%.2f" min="0" max="18.75" inc="0.5" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>

<scaling name="CF256" units="Correction Factor" toexpr="x/256" frexpr="x*256" format="%.3f" min="0" max="2" inc="0.0039" storagetype="uint8" endian="big"/>

<scaling name="Percent128" units="%" toexpr="x/1.28" frexpr="x*1.28" format="%.0f" min="0" max="100" inc="1" storagetype="uint8" endian="big"/>

<scaling name="BattVoltDwell%" units="%" toexpr="x*75/1024" frexpr="x*1024/75" format="%.2f" min="0" max="18.75" inc="0.5" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>

<scaling name="RPMLimit" units="RPM" toexpr="7500000/x" frexpr="7500000/x" format="%.0f" min="0" max="9000" inc="60" storagetype="uint16" endian="big"/>

<!-- Coil settings for Evo6, ROM ID 25570000 -->

<table name="Ignition Coil, Dwell-Time" address="1229e" category="Timing" type="2D" scaling="ChargeTime">
    <table name="Battery" address="2c7c8" type="Y Axis" elements="9" scaling="BatteryVoltage"/>
    </table>

<table name="Ignition Coil, Dwell-Time Reduction RPM" category="Timing" address="10A46" type="1D" scaling="RPMLimit"/>

<table name="Ignition Coil, Dwell-Time Reduction Factor" address="122ac" category="Timing" type="2D" scaling="CF256">
    <table name="Battery" address="2c7c8" type="Y Axis" elements="9" scaling="BatteryVoltage"/>
    </table>

<table name="Ignition Coil, Dwell-Time Correction 2" address="122ba" category="Timing" type="2D" scaling="Percent128">
    <table name="Battery" address="2c7c8" type="Y Axis" elements="9" scaling="BattVoltDwell%"/>
    </table>
    And to summarise use as I now understand it;

Ignition Coil, Dwell-Time is a baseline for what coil dwell (charge duration) should be, this is used up until 2800 RPM without any adjustments. Above 2800 RPM the ECU starts to apply a reduction factor (because the theory being the coils will now have less time to charge), this is controlled via Ignition Coil, Dwell-Time Correction 2 and Ignition Coil, Dwell-Time Reduction Factor. The faster the engine spins, the more the reduction factor is applied.

So to summarise, Ignition Coil, Dwell-Time will be the maximum dwell time across the board, with the other two tables controlling how quickly dwell drops off. It's a little more involving than that, but those are the basics. How this translates to our current definitions is speculative based on what I've seen on the other forums..

coilsettings.png

Coil Settings 1 = Ignition Coil, Dwell-Time Reduction Factor
    Coil Settings 2 = Ignition Coil, Dwell-Time
    Coil Settings 3 = Ignition Coil, Dwell-Time Correction 2

As I say, that is speculative and there's a good chance it could possibly be wrong. I'm gonna plot the actual formulas in a graph and post the results to see if it all tallies up.

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

So after further investigation, I'm now utterly confused. I could do with some disassembly advice from @BCX or @Kenneth to complete the following;

coildwell.png

As you can see, it tails off way too quickly. The formula I used is the one Merlin posted on EvolutionM.net, Correction 2 (ms) doesn't get used for example. It's all a bit hairy-fairy and I'd like to nail this down
    Last edited by foxdie; 21-05-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Name
    Bill
    Last Online
    20-07-2022
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2000 Galant

From an disassembly perspective, the values in these tables are loaded directly into the timer used to drive the coils.

When i get a chance, i'll have a look at how the timer is configured and work backwards from that.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Jason, the definition I posted a few posts back is exactly those 3 tables, you can cross reference the table addresses in the original VR-4 definition to find out which were which.

I did this by disassembling the Evo5/6 ROM, finding the code which deals with the coil timings (fairly close to the VR-4 code actually) and renaming/scaling the VR-4 ones as per the Evo ones.

If the evo ones are correct, so are the ones I posted. (Which were from Merlin)

Name
    Bill
    Last Online
    20-07-2022
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2000 Galant

Had a quick look at the disassembly, prescaler for timer is set to divide by 64 (CPU clock is the reference)

H8 is clocked at 16mhz, means each time the counter decrements, time is 4uS (microseconds). Values in table(s) are loaded into timer, then timer counts back to 0.

For example, if value is 5 then 5 x 4 = 20uS coil is set to dwell.

while the timer is counting, relevant pin in held high. timer has 4 i/o, one is used as interupt from a sensor (cant remember what sensor, have to check my notes, it's not CAS), other three pins drive each coil.

I've run out of time atm, should be doing work but i'll post up how the coil timings are calculated and what the three tables do from a disassembly perspective.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

Have updated the ROM again and should have fixed the WGDC map 5.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

may have been a bit ahead of myself... will do some checking first
    Last edited by Kenneth; 09-07-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

False alarm, the scaling has been updated previously to show the - symbol when timing is after TDC

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

this is for you guys that want to use kenneth's map switching for running ethanol based fuel and petrol based fuel without having to empty the tank before you fill up with the other fuel.
    appartently it is done with an external sensor that monitors the percentage of ethanol to pertol and this is feed into the ecu which interpolates between the petrol and ethanol fuel and ignition maps
    to give you the correct configuration depending on what mix of fuel you have in the tank.
    well that is how i read it.

this is from the evolutionM.net web site and it seems to be quite a good write up, i thought the bones of it could be used and ported accross and used rather than building from scratch.
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflas...n-evo-ecu.html

hope this helps someone.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    My Garage
    Visit

If you want to go with flexi-fuel, you should also look at this thread: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...ight=flexifuel

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

sorry post in wrong thread.
    Last edited by Davezj; 15-03-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Name
    Victor
    Last Online
    04-07-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    GVR-4 type S 8g

Hi everyone, what address for Minimum IPW is in that ROM?
    97 Galant VR-4 type S (LJ)
    441hp@1.4bar, 0-100kmh - 3.7sec, 402m - 11.7sec
    + KSmods 1.03 (big maps, LC, NLTS, CEL on knock)
    + 5-speed MT (Competition clutch)
    + 2xTD04L-13T turbos
    + 3" Intake hardpipe kit
    + 3" Turbo Back exhaust (HKS Hi-Power)
    + AEM Water/Methanol Injection
    + Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH
    + 560cc inj
    + SARD FPR
    + 40mm core radiator
    + Samco silicone hoses
    + Tial BOV
    + IC 600x300x76
    + AEM UEGO wideband O2, Depo (boost, oil/water temp, fuel/oil press)

Name
    Victor
    Last Online
    04-07-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    GVR-4 type S 8g

116af address for "Injector Latency v Battery Voltage" in def file is wrong, the correct address is 115a2.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast