Thread: adding 700+ miles in 2 days not amused!

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

adding 700+ miles in 2 days not amused!

Just found out the current owner of the legnum is putting 700+ miles on it tomorrow so i am trying to push the swap forward to wednesday before the car needs another oil change! to say im not amused is an understatement! now is there anything i should be especially aware of after the car has done this kind of distance in a day or should things be as they were when i saw the car last week?? only reason i ask is because if there is something specific i need to look out for i wanna know like oil loss etc im glad the car has a turbo timer fitted..

On a seperate note how long before i can use the turbo's properly from cold (do i need the engine to get up to temperature first?) and secondly how long should the turbo timer be set? the previous owner had it set to 2 min the guy im getting it off has it as 20 seconds.. i thought 20sec is a little quick after a spirited run.

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

Turbo timers are next to useless on these due to turbo being oil cooled, 2 mins out from hone just drive normally. As for start up wait for car to warm up properly before thrashing it!
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

I wouldn't worry about anything with the miles being put on except for him doing it before sells it.

Get rid of the turbo timer cause these cars don't need them. The turbo's are water & oil cooled so the gentle drive home after the spirited drive will be enough to cool them.

Let the car warm up before giving the car a good thrashing.

Edit: Beat me to it Mike
    The mighty Leedsnum has gone but the Airtrek mods will soon fill this space

How To:Contact Committee or Moderators.

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

And thats why im a member of this car forum As ever thanks guys i may well remove it then if all its gonna do is waste fuel lol. im sure i will ask more questions along these lines so please bear with me, and will use the search when i can

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

700 miles in a day infers a lengthy cruise. TBH this should be where the car gets least wear for the mileage, and the tubs get worked very little.

As above, water and oil cooling means that a gentle last mile or so before you turn off should be plenty to help everything cool, a turbo timer will struggle to match that IMO.

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    700 miles in a day infers a lengthy cruise. TBH this should be where the car gets least wear for the mileage, and the tubs get worked very little.

As above, water and oil cooling means that a gentle last mile or so before you turn off should be plenty to help everything cool, a turbo timer will struggle to match that IMO.
    Rip out the turbo timer roger that lol will do the same checks i did last week again when he turns up, unfortunately i was bitten when i swapped and got the saab as it was a shed! now its all running perfectly i do not want to swap it for a car that will cause me more trouble, dont get me wrong im looking forward to working on this, im now signed off till march1st with 76 days holiday to take after that lol so plenty of time to play with the car and self help fixes where i can do the work myself

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

If it's done 700+ miles in the last couple of days then you should be happy enough that the car works perfectly well to allow the current owner to do that kind of mileage!

I regularly do 200+ mile trips in mine, and it is very low stress for everything - especially you, as the driver! It's just such an effortless car to drive

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I've had turbo timers in several of mine, and have used them, normally set at 30 seconds. However, if I didn't have one I wouldn't go out and spend money on one!

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    14-07-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    pfl VR4,corsa D

as ever cheers guys and you have a point he feels willing to do 700 miles in it there cant be much wrong i personally think its mechanically sound it seems it my only reservation was the seats but even they have grown on me and the steering wheel isnt that momo one either

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Turbo timer can be useful things to have on the car.
    Usually they have a volt meter built in so that can be useful to have as a checking tool.
    Also when the weather is really cold you can use the turbo timer as warm up aid, set turbo timer for 5-10mins, take the keys out lock the car. Leave the car running and go back indoors and have a cup of tea. The engine will warn up gently and the windows will be clear by the time you come back to it.
    The steering lock will be on the car, the car is locked, and it will stop running in about 5mins, so there is no real problem with security issue.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Alan
    Last Online
    24-06-2023
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4 Leg & R33

...so long as the turbo timer and alarm system are compatible. The Toad AI606 in mine would unlock all the doors when the HKS turbo timer cut the ignition, just like it does when turning the engine off normally. Not much use after parking the car and walking away. There have been threads about TTs and alarm compatability. IMO they're an extravagance of limited use. Rip it out and sell it on.

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyThumb (TM)
    '97 Legnum VR-4 type S
    DONE - SARD 530cc injectors, SARD AFPR, FMIC, MAP2-ECU, Ralliart air filter & 'Special' MAF, Magnecor leads, NGK 7s, Polyeurethane engine mounts, New lash adjusters, RPW downpipes, Powerflow 3" full de-cat exhaust, Reconditioned turbos, Bespoke AYC gauge, SARD R2D2 BOV, CarPC with EvoScan, Fusion amp & InPhase sub, EBC Turbo grooved & dimpled brake discs, EBC red & green pads, HKS SuperForm Lowering springs, Hydraulic bonnet dampers, Momo steering wheel, Bespoke wideband AFR/Oil pressure gauge thingy, New wiper blades all round!, Amsoiled... woo hoo!
    Growling out 349ft/lb torque, 296 fly HP @ 0.9 bar

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Mine didn't work like that, I used to manually use the key in the lock to lock the doors not the alarm fob.
    But I can see that unlocking the car automatically, after the car engine stops would be bad.

Name
    jamil
    Last Online
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum PfL

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    Turbo timer can be useful things to have on the car.
    Usually they have a volt meter built in so that can be useful to have as a checking tool.
    Also when the weather is really cold you can use the turbo timer as warm up aid, set turbo timer for 5-10mins, take the keys out lock the car. Leave the car running and go back indoors and have a cup of tea. The engine will warn up gently and the windows will be clear by the time you come back to it.
    The steering lock will be on the car, the car is locked, and it will stop running in about 5mins, so there is no real problem with security issue.
    Second that. The voltmeter is real handy for bass duties whilst the winter thing, although i havent done yet, is something i would if i could link it to remote!