Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    in answer to yr question dave, i think the only way to check the chra for part numbers is to find someone with a rooted one and pull the thing apart, i will keep looking and see what turns up though
    i have 4 old turbos in the shed, 2 i don't know what the state of them is as i bought them on ebay (suposed to be good).
    2 were off my old VR4 and they did not smoke when under load or when comming off the accelerator and coasting down a hill.
    these are the turbo's i am going to rebuild, and swap a pair out for the ones on my current VR4 which do smoke under load but only when i initially set off on a journey.

i will see what happens when i take the first one apart.

Bye for Now!

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    31-12-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    monaro, sorry !

i agree with what yr saying dave,the tubs we have seem to share parts with several other turbos,if nothing else the bits are available with a bit of a search. perhaps they should be described as td03-07t-ish

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I found this nice write up for stripping and rebuilding a TD03, it is not a VR4 turbo but a volvo one, but i think it is pretty similar.
    it is a good read and the bit at the end about impoved boosting and better MPG. which would be nice.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=48611
    Last edited by Davezj; 29-04-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Forgot about this. Here's pics of what's in the kits I have.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

that looks like quite a comprehensive kit.
    where did you get it, and how much?

the only parts i don't know what to do with are the little black flat spring washers, not the ones that you can see the gap in as these are the shaft oil seals, the ones near the top of the picture.
    i can't find any reference for the placement of there 2 small black spring washer.

i suppose the only way to know is to strip one of my spare turbo's and check.
    which i will do, maybe at our northwest meet this month in a couple of weeks.

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    31-12-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    monaro, sorry !

did you manage to get yr turbos stripped Dave and if so what did you find ?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

No i have not stripped the yet.

just not got round to it. i should do it.
    i need to know what the large o-ring size is on the char to compressor housing seal so i can get hold of a few as the rebuild kit i bought did not have any in.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    did you manage to get yr turbos stripped Dave and if so what did you find ?
    alan, do you know where the litle black washers (not the spring clips) go in the turbo assembly.

i can't see where they go in any of the turbo build instructions i have read, it not in the volvo build above, but you can see them in the kit that he is fitting to the turbo.

any ideas?

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    31-12-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    monaro, sorry !

in short i dont know, im guessin here but if as i suspect these kits are a generic td03 then they may be put in to suit a common and as yet unknown td03 variant, i am half thinking about buying a couple of old turbos and stripping the pair to see whats what, then getting a few kits together to see which is the best, failing that taking the whole lot to a manufacturer and seeing what they can do. i used to have an o ring gauge from when i worked for james walker, their o ring centre is in cockermouth and i imagine they still do them, however it may be best to send the o ring to them to identify the material correctly too, you can just ask for a price and availability for enclosed item, dont mean you have to get it from them though

Name
    alan
    Last Online
    31-12-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    monaro, sorry !

as for the washers, might they be spacers for the bearings ? again i cant say as ive not yet pulled one of these to pieces, though i think i may do soon, just to satisfy curiosity if nothing else, that and one rebuilt i will have spares,unless someone who shall be nameless talks me in to getting another vr4 and going the whole hog !. sorry i cant be of any real help untill i get off my bum and buy a couple

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i have started my turbo rebuild.

i have stripped down one of my spare turbo's and found some interesting stuff, i will put some pics up tomorrow.

stripping them down is relatively straight forward, i just have to get some parafin for my parts washer tomorrow and i can get scrubbing, the turbo did have an oil leak and it was from the exhaust side, it had all corbonised on the internal heat shield which sits behind the exhaust turbine wheel. this should all clean up nicely but i have slight issue.

there is one seal that is a bit odd and i am not sure where to get a replacement.
    it is the compressor side turbine housing to centre cartridge seal, which in all other turbos i have seen stripped down is a large o-ring running round the edge of the compressor turbine backing plate.
    It is the large o-ring in the kit that genn (Wodjno) posted the picture of above.
    however in my case it was a very thin flat paper/fibre seal which just falls to pieces when the housing was split apart. it is easy enough to make a paper /fibre gasket out of a sheet of gasket material. Which is probably why i did not get a large O0ring in the rebuild kit i bought.

on a side note i did not find any of the black washers in the turbo i stripped down. but everything else was as experted.
    as i say i will post up some pics of the individual parts stripped down, and show you what i am going to replace.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

well i have been doing some cleaning and all parts are now spick and span after a good scrub clean in my paraffin parts washer, then a spray with carb cleaner to remove the paraffin.

i just need to assemble the turbo now, oh once i find a gasket for the catridge to compressor housing.

off i go to ebay to find some locktight and gasket paper.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

well i have just done my first turbo rebuild.

quite a nice experience really.

I bought some gasket paper in various thicknesses to find a one that would work. got some threadlock so i thought i would give it a go this afternoon, sat in the livingroom with a small table, a box of turbo bits, some assembly lube, threadlock, torque rench, circlip pliers, gasket paper, pair of scissors, and ball of steel.

all seemed to go well, but you don't really know how it will turn out until i fit the turbo to my car. all the scribe lines lined up at the end of the build, and there is no shaft play, and the turbines spin freely. i was happy with the result

i will do a write up with pictures, when i get a chance to the rear turbo, i did not want to complicate things with the build of my first turbo with papping a bearing, while lubing it up.

on a side note i found out where the little black washer go, they are the stopper washer that fit into some grooves inside the cartridge, that stop the jernal bearing from sliding too far inside the cartridge.It seems that these can be black thin spring washers (about a turnand a half of a spring) or an internal circlip.
    Last edited by Davezj; 20-05-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Name
    shane
    Last Online
    12-11-2023
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    fto with 6A13TT

would be great to see pics as ive only ever made the housing gasket before have removed shaft too but thats as far as i got not sure about the rest . i have 2 spare that i want to rebuild.

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    25-01-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    well i have just done my first turbo rebuild.

quite a nice experience really.

I bought some gasket paper in various thicknesses to find a one that would work. got some threadlock so i thought i would give it a go this afternoon, sat in the livingroom with a small table, a box of turbo bits, some assembly lube, threadlock, torque rench, circlip pliers, gasket paper, pair of scissors, and ball of steel.

all seemed to go well, but you don't really know how it will turn out until i fit the turbo to my car. all the scribe lines lined up at the end of the build, and there is no shaft play, and the turbines spin freely. i was happy with the result

i will do a write up with pictures, when i get a chance to the rear turbo, i did not want to complicate things with the build of my first turbo with papping a bearing, while lubing it up.

on a side note i found out where the little black washer go, they are the stopper washer that fit into some grooves inside the cartridge, that stop the jernal bearing from sliding too far inside the cartridge.It seems that these can be black thin spring washers (about a turnand a half of a spring) or an internal circlip.
    How did it go and what kit did you get as my tubs have reached the end of there lives now

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i have not used the turbo yet, i have never had the need to.

Name
    paul
    Last Online
    25-01-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    i have not used the turbo yet, i have never had the need to.
    where did you get the kit from tho as i want to refurb/rebuild mine because thay are really smoking now

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

ebay kits, but they would have come from china originally most of them do even though they might be sold from a UK address. i bought 5 TD04L rebuild kits direct from china for the cost of one being sold on ebay. exactly the same packaging and labeling. mind you the ebay kit was only £23 i think.

the TD03 rebuild kit i bought was marked up as TD025 kit but i did my background checks and it was the correct kit. It only cost about £15 delivered but it was not a full kit you will understand what i mean when you look at the kits in more detail.

the TD03-7T our turbo has a superback compressor wheel designated by the 'T' in the number. the other type is flatback and you do not want one of these kits.

Example only not the correct kits for our TD03 turbos, this shows the difference between superback and flatback and partial kits.

This is a Superback kit, you can just about see in the picture when you zoom in, the convaved dush in the top of the big stepside stainless disc at the top of the picture (picture a bit grainy)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-rebu...item5b1611dc5a

flatback kit you do not want, again you can see the top of the big stainless stepside disk it is FLAT
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TD02-TD025...item2a35e9ccd1

this is a partial kit note the lack of exhaust heat shield (metal disk cone thing) oil shield, plus lots of other stuff.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-rebu...item5b1611b79c

all of the above are example only not the kits to buy.

Name
    shane
    Last Online
    12-11-2023
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    fto with 6A13TT

^do you have the right link for the right kits yet dave?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234