Thread: fresh imports, worth the extra money?

Name
    Richie
    Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '97 legnum MT

fresh imports, worth the extra money?

im struggling to see a solution to finding the right legnum so i am now thinking of trading in against a fresh import to solve both problems of buying a car and selling my car. they are priced ridiculously high compared to private sales though so is it worth waiting longer and shelling out more cash for the right car straight off the boat or am i better off buying cheaper and having spare cash to throw at it?
    1998 2.0 GLS>1999 2.4 GDI>2001 2.5 sport>1997 VR4 + 2000 2.5 sport
    1997 legnum (manual)
    CUSCO rear strut brace
    BILSTEIN springs on uprated shocks
    3" S/S downpipes and exhaust
    induction kit
    EVO V RS transfer box
    EVO VIII brembos
    HEL brake lines
    V6 sport interior
    laser cut engine cover
    GRP EVO style bonnet
    18" inovite redlines
    HKS SSQV
    2003 Mazda 6 2.0 TS estate

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Depends on your viewpoint I guess.

You are more likely to find a low mileage rust free model if it is a fresh import. However, service history will be unknown. And you'll pay a premium. It's a personal choice - some think the premium is worth it to have a car that is likely to be in better overall condition, some don't. It's also worth remembering that some cars in the UK have been looked after very well and can't fetch the same price as fresh imports. Find one of them that fits the bill and you can only be a winner.

Name
    Richie
    Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '97 legnum MT

mileage and service history doesnt really bother me. my car came with no known history at all and although wear and tear parts have been replaced, nothing major has failed and she runs sweet. with 7 years of galant ownership under my belt, i know how reliable they are. the problem is finding the right VR4 which would have to be manual, preferably facelift. a very rare combination on our shores

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

I got my latest Legnum last year, it had been in the country 6 months, was well worth it as the underside and all was immaculate, no rust anywhere. It needed a bit of tweeking but nothing major, and it wasn't extortionate. (just good timing)
    Unless you can find a rust free one over here I would definitely consider an import. Remember if you find one that has been imported and on sale for a while there is a good chance you can do a deal (as they will be keen to get it moved).
    I wanted a pre facelift, and there just weren't any good rust free ones around, I saw some decent ones, but not as clean as what I was after.
    I wouldn't go as far as buying in Japan and importing a specific car, as the cost and exchange rates are not good.
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I got my latest Legnum last year, it had been in the country 6 months, was well worth it as the underside and all was immaculate, no rust anywhere. It needed a bit of tweeking but nothing major, and it wasn't extortionate. (just good timing)
    Unless you can find a rust free one over here I would definitely consider an import. Remember if you find one that has been imported and on sale for a while there is a good chance you can do a deal (as they will be keen to get it moved).
    I wanted a pre facelift, and there just weren't any good rust free ones around, I saw some decent ones, but not as clean as what I was after.
    I wouldn't go as far as buying in Japan and importing a specific car, as the cost and exchange rates are not good.
    Still waiting for pics of your new car Louis
    The mighty Leedsnum has gone but the Airtrek mods will soon fill this space

How To:Contact Committee or Moderators.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    19-04-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Lgnm VR4 type S

Again mine was imported about 4 months before I found it on eBay..... bought it directly through the garage, service history was unknown..... all round a very clean car, although, the auto box died after 3 years and in it's 4th so did the rear diff....... I didn't pay over odds, so even with the work I've had done it been cheaper......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]