Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

4 way switch.

I have got a PLX multi gauge. The display is operated by a four way switch - up, down, left right. The switch is and has always been crap. I thought I'd take it apart and solve the issue and also mount it in a better way. Well, I mounted it a better way, but the switch is still crap.

The switch is a simple thing from an electronics point of view - 5 wires, one being common and the other four being unique to it's particular direction. What I want to find is a switch that will replace the crap one. I kept a wing mirror adjustment switch to the side, thinking that would do it, but it won't without major modification - the switch is simply designed to send the opposite voltage if opposite directions are pressed, so left and right have common connections but the switch links them differently to flip the voltage at the mirror. I have tried looking at RS and Maplins but I can't find what I am looking for. Is that because I don't know the right terminology or does no-one sell a simple four direction push to make switch? At this rate I will have to buy four push switches and mount them all seperately.....

Can anyone point me towards a suitable switch? Thanks!

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

google: 4 way tactile switch

should get you started down the right track.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

what you want is an old style digital joystick like the quickshot II it was a simple 4 micro switch, left, right, forward, back.
    but that is probably a bit big to mount on you dash. LOL!
    but it would give it a bit of a reto look.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

You are looking for a micro-switch like Dave suggests. I think the tactile switch is the same (just a different term).
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

Something I've often looked into for Smokescreen. Nick, this is the only pre-built switch I can recommend for your use-case;

http://uk.farnell.com/mec/9509136118...ack/dp/1390595

Although you won't have much use for the "OK" button in the centre, at least you'll have an easily-mountable navigation switch
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Why not just mount four momentary switches in the right configuration and they all have a common wire?

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

RS do something like that

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by exevoowner View Post
    RS do something like that
    Where?!?!?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by wintertidenz View Post
    Why not just mount four momentary switches in the right configuration and they all have a common wire?
    I did say that was the backup plan in my first post. Probably not in the right technical terms though! I'd just prefer something that looked a bit more professional. Jasons link is my favourite one at the moment, but seems expensive for what it is, plus has a button that would be redundant. There are four direction switches on every playstation controller made for the last decade or so, plus goodness knows how many other things. It seems suprising to me that I can't find something that fits the bill.

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

here the first one but they do it other colours
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tactile-switches/6931307/

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Why is this one half the price of some of the others?

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tactile-switches/4952141/

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

I'd say its down to material use as does't say it illumitated or anythin special

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Ideally you don't want surface mount - it's a lot harder to solder (unless you know someone that can do SMD soldering!)

With the current switch you have pulled off - how is it set up? Separate contacts for each direction, or a 4-way switch? You could just use four separate switches behind the pad like these: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tactile-switches/3786729/

In regards to the other switches, you might want to have it illuminated at night - will make things easier.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

if you look at the rs and farnell switch datasheets that have been linked to in the thread they are the same part. but different prices.

however you can see from the data sheet that these switches are actually made up from 5 individual part that have to be mounted separately on to a PCB, they have no other way of mounting them. basically you solder the switches to a PCB then mounting holes in the PCB to screw the PCB to the back of the panel you want to mont the switches on.
    i design PCB for my job. so i know you can get a bespoke pcb designed to mount the swithes on, but you would be looking at about £80 tooling and about £5 per board on a panel and you would probably get 50 ish pcb per panel. so it would not be cheap but it would be dooable. from my point of view i would do this for free, and it would only be the actual pcb fabrication cost that the money.

i could design the PCB for you and get it ordered through one of our board manufactures that we use at work. it would be a quality product but as i say not cheap if you only need one. there are other online companies that will make you sigle boards but they would probably be £15 each.

this is probably not something you would consider doing for this particular application, but if you want anything like this in the future for another project, i can scematic and pacb design, and i can do 3D cad designs that can be exported to file formats that are industry standard that any machine shop would be able it import and run to produce the parts you want.

just thought i would let you know.

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

How about just replacing the switches on the current PCB instead? It could be just the contacts inside the switches are getting worn out... it'll be a LOT cheaper than just getting a new complete PCB and external switch made up.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The standard switch is four individual contacts but they are like a cheap calculator or similar. There is a rubber membrane that is designed to flex with individual button presses, the membrane has what looks like a carbon disc on the back of each button that contacts two interlocking "squiggles" on the PCB behind. The down button has been dodgy from word go and is only getting worse.
    Dave interesting info, but not something I would need at the moment. It might be interesting for Jason though.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    The standard switch is four individual contacts but they are like a cheap calculator or similar. There is a rubber membrane that is designed to flex with individual button presses, the membrane has what looks like a carbon disc on the back of each button that contacts two interlocking "squiggles" on the PCB behind. The down button has been dodgy from word go and is only getting worse.
    Dave interesting info, but not something I would need at the moment. It might be interesting for Jason though.
    nick do you have any pictures of what you are trying to replace and it would make it a bit easier to come up with a solution

if you want to fit this 4 way switch in a separate location to the original it should be possible to solder to the pads on the PCB that the rubberised buttons shorted out when buttons are pressed.

i will have a look for a 4 button key pad.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

plx1.jpg
    The picture shows a similar unit to mine, although mine isn't odb2. The switch is what you can see in that picture. I took it apart and now just have the centre circle mounted in the dash, just to the left of the steering wheel.

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Try cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol or screen wipes, then reassemble - you could also try heated window circuit repair pen on the carbon dots to see if that helps with contact.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I've tried cleaning the contacts. The heated window circuit repair pen is a new idea though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast