Thread: W5A51 Performance

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    23-12-2023
    Country
    Other

W5A51 Performance

Ran my Evo 7 GTA at Santa Pod today with new setup. did a 11.68@ 114. Car is producing 450/500 and the gearbox is going well. Had about 50 launches now in it.

Get tuning

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon6 View Post
    Get tuning
    If only it was that easy for a VR4. Great time though & well done.
    The mighty Leedsnum has gone but the Airtrek mods will soon fill this space

How To:Contact Committee or Moderators.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    23-12-2023
    Country
    Other

Thanks. Hopefully the box will last for a bit longer

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

How long you been putting yhat power through tha auto?.
    Also, did you uprate bits a while ago??,

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    23-12-2023
    Country
    Other

Hi. Done various bits over last 2 years. Been running that power for about 3 months. Before that I was running 300 /450 for about 14 months.

Restalled converter, upgraded valve body with quick shift kit, new kevlar clutch packs, tig welded pinions, replaced wave ring, full service & rebuild.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Not much then lol!, did you do the work or did an auto, transmission place do it?
    I have seen links to a couple of trans places in the states that did solenoids and clutch packs etc, Not seen Kevlar packs?, does it drive like a standard, is anything noticabley different on the road normal driving?.
    Sounds interesting, well done.
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Tony
    Last Online
    23-12-2023
    Country
    Other

Louis, I shipped my valve body and a torque converter over to IPT in the US. They fitted the quick shift kit and customised the valve body plus restalled the converter. They shipped it all to Eurospec along with a rebuild kit and the clutch packs and steel rings. Mark stripped, serviced and rebuilt the box then refitted the lot. I had the luxury of a second box so most of work was done on the bench then when it was all ready, the converter and box was swapped over on the same day, so car was only off the road for 1 day.

Because a few things have changed, the drive has a lot of differences. Gearchanges are really really fast on the upshift. No difference downshifting. 1st to second shift is slower so you need to time it right. 3rd gear shift can be very "slammy" and in general its a little less cultured on changes. That is down to the new beefier wave spring.

The restalled converter is the thing that takes most getting used to as you get slippage right up to 2800. If you take it easy its fine, but sometimes if you are in a rush in low gear it feels laggy. Throw a 550 rated turbo in and you feel it! All changes once you are on boost though The other great thing is you can brake boost really well. I can develop 1.6 bar of boost stationary so launches are good. Got some slicks coming this week so my next run should be interesting.

Next thing to try is increasing line pressures to hopefully improve top end MPH and power. Turbo is levelling out too soon so need to try and work out the constraint. Hoping the work done to crack the TCU map on here might help sometime. There is also some work going on in the US that looks ineresting.

I will be at plenty of shows this year if you or anyone want to take a look. Should be at Japfest at Santa Pod