Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

LPG Conversion to '97 Manual Legnum

Hi All,
    Well been chatting in the 'Feed up with filling costs' thread with Adaxo and thought I would start a new thread showing my conversion incase others would like to follow.

So below are the pictures.

LPG ECU, change over switch with level gauge and MAP sensor

OMVLECU.jpg

LPG Vapouriser. Responsible for changing the Liquid Fuel to a vapour for the engine to burn. This is the High Pressure version.

OMVLVapouriser.jpg

And lastly the LPG Injectors. The nice thing with this kit is you get 8 injectors on a 6 cylinder kit so you always have one spare on each bank for testing if you need to for fault finding.

OMVLInjectors.jpg

Obviously there is then the Tank and multi valve that fits in the tank but didn't fancy lumping the tank around just for a photo so will picture that before I fit it.

Along with the above its there is of course a wiring loom, pipe work, filler point, filters and a few other little bits and bobs which You don't really need to see pictures of as they are not that interesting.

Off on holiday for a week now so will not start fitting till next weekend. (Need to just finish the lift on the Land Rover also so I can use that while the Leggy is off the road.

More soon.
    Last edited by BraindG; 18-05-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Please upload filse to CVR4 Server.
    1997 Legnum VR4 Manual
    BBS 16" Alloys
    LPG Converted
    8mm Magnecor Plug Leads
    Innovate AFR Meter with narrow band emulation to ECU
    DE-CAT

1994 3.9V8 Discovery.
    4" Lift with 33" tyres (12.5" wide), 30mm wheel spacers.
    LPG converted
    Koni shocks
    Mallory Ignition
    Magnecor leads
    3" Strainless straight through exhaust
    diff and steering guards
    Mud

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

How big is feed for liquid gas?? IIRC is 6mm??
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

I'm going to use an 8mm pipe for a bigger reservoir. Unfortunately I could not get a multi valve with an 8mm outlet so there is a 6 to 8 mm adaptor straight out of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

You not worry about bottleneck effect due to use 6-8 mm adaptors??, in real life there is a huge difference in multivalve between 8 and 6 mm outlet. Some even drill/dremel out 8mm to bigger size to archive better flow.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Na shouldn't be a problem seen it loads of time. I will open out the 6mm outlet if possible. If I do get any issues I will update the multi valve at a later date. Just need to get on LPG for now :-)

Sorry should have also said that the vaporiser actually has an 8mm feed so it is simply the tank outlet that will be 6mm.

Been meaning to ask you a couple of things if you don't mind.
    Firstly did you have to modify the spare wheel well at all to get the tank to fit?

Secondly where did you mount your vaporiser. I have not had a good look round under the bonnet for space yet and being the first job I will have really taken on on the legnum I don't know my way round the engine bay yet lol.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Quote Originally Posted by disco-ian View Post
    Na shouldn't be a problem seen it loads of time. I will open out the 6mm outlet if possible. If I do get any issues I will update the multi valve at a later date. Just need to get on LPG for now :-)

Sorry should have also said that the vaporiser actually has an 8mm feed so it is simply the tank outlet that will be 6mm.

Been meaning to ask you a couple of things if you don't mind.
    Firstly did you have to modify the spare wheel well at all to get the tank to fit?

Secondly where did you mount your vaporiser. I have not had a good look round under the bonnet for space yet and being the first job I will have really taken on on the legnum I don't know my way round the engine bay yet lol.
    Ok, ask as many question you got, and please don't take any offence if i said something is wrong/right, treat that as ONLY MY OPINION and it could be wrong sometimes.

I didn't modify spare wheel well, only require a bit of hammering, bare in mind that I use stako tank, sometimes exact size could differ slightly from other makes.
    Only good space with enough room for vap is below battery, take battery off undone 3x 12 mm and one 10mm from air box bolts, remove battery base and here is a gap between gbox and BOV pipe suitable for vap.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

OK cool.

No offend taken at all mate. I like discussing things, its how new ideas develop :-) I also just post my opinions and mean no offence if they differ from other peoples. Hey if we were all the same the world would be a very boring place.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

I'll follow this thread with great interest and I much appreciate you're doing this write-up Ian! One thing I'd do appreciate is if you can upload the pics onto CVR4 using the photo uploader. Photobucket isn't bad, it's just not going to be there when someone in the future visits this thread (downtime on photobucket, account you've used ended, or whatever crappy reason, but the photo's might be lost which I usually find very usefull in these kind of how-to's).

You can upload photo's by using the 'go advanced' button under the 'Quick reply' text box. In that mode, you'll have a link below the text-editor area labeled "manage attachments". Once clicked you click:
    "add files"
    "select files"
    "upload files"
    "insert inline"

And you'll end up with this:
    OMVLECU.jpgOMVLInjectors.jpgOMVLVapouriser.jpg
    Last edited by MarkSanne; 18-05-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Yer I added pictures in another post using the upload feature which works well. However was unable to insert the pictures where I wanted them, they all just appeared at the bottom. If I have uploaded them to my account here is there anyway of inserting them into my text at certain points.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Ian, that is simply a matter of ticking the checkboxes on the pic(s) you want on a certain point in your post and only then click on 'edit inline'. Works quite well!

cvr4howto.jpg
    Last edited by MarkSanne; 18-05-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

Or, simply use this handy how to guide

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...Upload-Manager
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Well progress has been slow. As time is being eaten by work. I have the inlet manifold drilled and piped up and mounted back to the car. Forgot to get any pictures while drilling but will get some before bolting the plenum back on.

Vaporiser is mounted and plumbed into the water system. Again pictures will follow. Will start cutting the injector wiring tomorrow if the lpg injector looms turn up (stupid supplier forgot to send them in the main kit)

Man I need to crack on with this putting fuel in my landy to get to and from work is bloody expensive even though it's on LPG also.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

OK so engine back up and running.

Sounds sweet, no tapping at all since we bleed the tappets. Mind you only ran it for a couple of minutes so theres still time lol.

Inlet manifold is drilled and piped for the LPG feed. Vapouriser is mounted. Have not been able to mount the injectors where I wanted due lack of space so unfortunately its a little bit of a squeeze to get one set of injectors in.

Unfortunately due complete lack of time and rain showers today I have not been able to take any pictures of the work so far. I've just been having to dedicate my time to working on the car, no time to clean my hands and take pictures of what I've been up to.

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

Sorry to be nosie ian but what was the cost of your kit ????

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Well, you see I used to work for a company that did LPG conversions so am still in touch with a supplier, unfortunately they did not have the tank I wanted however I managed to get some money off of that supplier too :-) I always ask for discount everywhere, if you don't ask you don't get lol

So the prices I paid

OMVL Front end kit with addition of Flexi 8mm front to rear pipe and a filler - £554 Delivered
    77 litre LPG tank and mutli valve and a couple of connectors - £209 Delivered
    Think the only other thing I have bought (other than a couple of tools) are a few P clips as I wanted to make sure I had plenty and they were about £6 on eBay. Also I have used some vacuum pep that I already had.

So About £770.

I have it booked in for a LPGA test Wednesday morning first thing, fingers crossed it passes as I have to have the certificate to the insurance company by Friday.

Got the tank installed today, the map sensor and ECU. So tomorrow is filler pipe and front to rear pipe. Then its D day and get some LPG in it. (Nail bitting stuff)

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

Cool fingers crossed alls well for the cert for you really thinking of having it done would get more use out the car then even tho i use it every day for work lol

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

What prices have you been quoted and what system is it for.

Were are you located?

I could have a word with my mate who owns the company doing my cert if you like to see what he would charge. Advantage of that of course would be he will have seen my'n converted.

Name
    Kelvin
    Last Online
    22-04-2024
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

Curious, if you know the trade price of the ac stag kits and any info on them. Got mine booked in on 14th £1050 fitted, going by above figures £280 mark up doesnt seem much, got me thinking is it cheapest of the cheap lkits. Unsure what tank it comes with though but if not big enough for my liking I see about changing that.

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

Haven't got any quote's yet just bein having a look around in general i'm around the donnington park east midlands area

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Not often best going for the cheapest however if you are paying someone to fit it then they had to get it working otherwise they don't get your money.

Just googled the kit and I think zavoli make it. They've been around for as long as the others. Never used that make before but they are much the same these days.

Well got my'n running on lpg today. It's fine under boost heavy throttle. But on light throttle under 2500 rpm it's very lumpy.

Got plugs and leads to upgrade soon. Feels more like fuel to me though so will see if I can do some mapping in the next couple of days. Also going to try and turn the pressure up on the vaporiser.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast