Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Have you got a chance to check AFRs?? when I first start mine AFRs on light throttle went up to 18s-20s and car feel fairly (a bit lumpy) good but it was defiantly not healthy for valves.
    IMO for turbo engines LPG setup via AFR measurement is a absolutely must. Rent a dyno for an hour and you should be able to set that right.
    I got stag ECU on mine, its designed and manufactured by AC in PL
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Nah. Not checked afr's yet think its more serious than that. Will do with either rolling road or I would like a afr gauge but need to get it running smoother first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1997 Legnum VR4 Manual
    BBS 16" Alloys
    LPG Converted
    8mm Magnecor Plug Leads
    Innovate AFR Meter with narrow band emulation to ECU
    DE-CAT

1994 3.9V8 Discovery.
    4" Lift with 33" tyres (12.5" wide), 30mm wheel spacers.
    LPG converted
    Koni shocks
    Mallory Ignition
    Magnecor leads
    3" Strainless straight through exhaust
    diff and steering guards
    Mud

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

Adam was your kit more or less a plug and play system ???
    sorry ian just watched that link that adam put up looks intresting really gona have to look into this had some new downpipes fitted last week and seams a little better on fuel now but still not as good as it will be on the gas lol

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Very impressive promotional video.

I have now ordered afr gauge.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Quote Originally Posted by exevoowner View Post
    Adam was your kit more or less a plug and play system ???
    sorry ian just watched that link that adam put up looks intresting really gona have to look into this had some new downpipes fitted last week and seams a little better on fuel now but still not as good as it will be on the gas lol
    Well, any LPG system is far from plug & play job, its at least 30 wires to plug in to various places like few engine sensors, petrol injectors, lpg injectors, in cabin gauge ect, then is a fairy bit of thinking where to put all components to avoid ANY interferences with future jobs on the car (clutch job, spark plugs changes, oil changes, ect), you need to find out where is best possible place to drill (REMOVED FROM CAR) manifold, then is tank to fit firmly (around 100kg of weight when full) and plumbing of filling valve, pipe from back to front, in to heater system.
    Then is a very important bit of setting everything to run properly.

Quote Originally Posted by disco-ian View Post
    Very impressive promotional video.

I have now ordered afr gauge.

I'm not very familiar with OMVL but in Stag you got option to splice in to lambda sensor and do logging via oscylogram, this will roughly tell you if you run lean or not.

BTW I was hoping to see a few more pictures tbh,
    Last edited by adaxo; 05-06-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Hi Adam,
    Pictures coming mate :-)

Mainly I have just been getting things to a point where it would pass the basic leak test etc so I can get a certificate for the insurance company and it passed that this morning so now I can concentrate on getting it right.

I should be working on it this Sunday and the beginning of next week if it carries through.

I will get some pictures when I get it back in bits as will not be up against the clock this time. So will have time to clean my hands and get some good pictures.

Planned work now is
    Move injectors so that the injector to manifold pipes are much shorter. Might mean relocating some standard wiring but I will have the time to do so.
    Fit larger injector nozzles (I will talk to OMVL about his first but it has been suggested by the LPG inspector today)
    NGK no8 plugs
    Magnecor plug leads
    Wideband Lambda sensor
    Boost gauge (OK not needed for LPG but if I'm fitting the AFR it sit alone :-))

At the moment I am suffering big misfires (backfires) below 3000 rpm, I believe that it is across all 6 cylinders and turning one cylinder from LPG to petrol and running does not have any effect more does doing a bank at a time. Hopefully the injector modifications will help with this and the AFR gauge will show that I am running lean etc which would cause this.

The OMVL system also allows to tap into the original lambda however I have not done this as being a narrow band lambda that is looking for petrol results the data would be OK but not exactly what is needed.

Interestingly the OMVL system does allow you to tie into the OBDII port and watch the fuel trims so you can see how the petrol ECU is trying to adapt the fuelling for LPG. Does the stag system allow this. I have not tried connecting the OMVL one yet however we had a hand held tool plugged into the port today and it was unable to determine what type of connection it is. I presume this is possibly because Mitsubishi used there own comms system and not the industry standard.

Doy ou know if there are any members on here that would know the comms type of the OBDII port. The OMVL instructions have a list which I could email/post on here to them to take a look.

Name
    Marc
    Last Online
    05-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-3 TurboX

Quote Originally Posted by disco-ian View Post

Doy ou know if there are any members on here that would know the comms type of the OBDII port. The OMVL instructions have a list which I could email/post on here to them to take a look.
    Is this what your after?

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

I believe that is exactly what I am after and think that was one of the options in the software, pin 7 defo rings a bell.

I shall add that to my list off weekend jobs.

Thanks Marc

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Hi, yes stag ECU have option to plug into OBD (not all, only 'premium' series), unfortunately our cars are not compatible with this protocol, so is useless.

May is not too late to join this group buy, great piece of kit at reasonable price, help me A LOT with setup.

How big nozzles you fit and on what pressure you set on vap??

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Bought one on eBay delivered brand new for £145 and it turned up today. That exact model actually :-) Can't wait to plug it in. DO you know if the Lambda will screw into the original lambda hole?

I thought that might be the case with the OBDII port but hey worth a shot lol

I am set at about 2 bar on the vaporiser and I have not yet checked the nozzle size.

What size are you running and pressure?

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Yes sensor from kit will fit, 1h take me to install and run, dont forget to calibrate sensor BEFORE install.

Left OBD alone, its not work, AFAIK our cars got obd socket but that's the end, ppl get confused, its shape of socket compatible not data transmission/protocols. I got good OBD scanner and is work fine with OBD cars and is useful to set LPG by watching (via scanner) how petrol ECU behave (LTFT, STFT).

I got different type of injectors (keihin type), without nozzles, its chosen by flow ratio and HP from each cylinder instead, in my case they are for 60HP@1.2BAR.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Ok so moved the injectors today. Closed the plug gap (still on ngk 6s as my 8s have not yet turned up). Fitted the magnecor leads (found a big crack in one of the old plug boots) moved the lpg injectors to the front of the engine so the injector pipe lengths are loads shorter and got it all back together. Lol

Got some pictures of the conversion this time. Can't post them at the moment as only have iPhone connection, broadband is down at the moment.

Car now not missing when not on turbos. However not fuelling right when on the turbos. not got the afr fitted yet so not sure if rich or lean but at least when fitted I will be able to see which it is.

Have removed the injector nozzles to open the injectors right up however the laptop software is now saying the injectors are smaller than it was before.

So tomorrow I will fit the nozzles back and see what result I get. Really pleased its not missing on LPG now though.

Will keep you all posted and upload pictures as soon as the broadband is fixed. There's a fault at our local exchange and several houses are you in our street.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Ok so still no proper Internet access so can't get the pictures up but I can let you all know that it is now running on LPG.

Fitted the nozzles back into the injectors done an automap and she's running well.

Will get the afr on as soon as and will get a much better map but for now at least the hard work is done.

Name
    DeK
    Last Online
    03-01-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    6Gee n VW4mo

Good stuff Ian sounds like you are making good headway now...

Once you have the wideband hooked up you can see whats going on under proper loading

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Ok first tank of LPG run through. Got 300 miles from 59.6 litres. So about 23 mpg's on LPG before any fine tuning with the wideband.

Still no broadband connection so no pictures to upload. Sorry people.

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

Ian did you see your mate that does the kits on a fitted price really looking into this now and seeing you figure's has made me think i need to sort this now lol

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

Hi mate. Sorry forgot to post the info.

He said he would charge £1700 for a fully fitted and LPGA certified kit. Not a bad price really as there is a fair bit of work involved and he knows his stuff when it comes to LPG.

Let me know if you want his details.

Name
    DeK
    Last Online
    03-01-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    6Gee n VW4mo

Thats very good going Ian,... perfect. The consumption shouldn't alter too much after the fine tune unless its running way way lean or rich.

I can typically get between 48 to 51 litres in max and with that I am getting 210 from tank with boost controller set at 0.9 bar? just under 240 when running at wastegate pressure with the urban/extra mix driving that I would do over tghe course of a week. Aint it great to fill up to the brim and only pay 36 quid or so?

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

My average shown on UTCOM from last 1600 km is 15,5 ltr/100km, 95 % town driving.

Nigel, PM me if you interest on LPG conversion.

Name
    Ian
    Last Online
    12-09-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    1997 Legnum

OK internet is back on again now. Big fault at the local exchange for the last week and a half.

I will try and get the pictures I ave uploaded when I get back from work tonight.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast