Taff
    Last Online
    01-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr-4

Brake refurb or buy new

as some of you might know, my car has been unwell of late. it has been stood still since last January and i have finally got the funds to fix it. obviously the brakes have rusted up a bit. the discs themselves are (other than the rust) in good condition. there little wear on the discs and there is no wear lip on the outside of the discs.

so my question is, worth me in getting the discs skimmed or to buy new ones?

also, is it worth me to refurbish the callipers?

i have attached a pic of the front drivers side disc. all the other discs are in similar conditions

IMG_0708.jpg

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    11-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo 4 GSR

Depends on how much money you want to spend! Personally I would leave the discs as they are, the rust will soon disappear once you start braking!

As for calipers, I guess really it'd be easier to make a decision if you knew whether the piston was actually seized. Quick check would be to whip the clapier out and press on the brake pedal . If it all works, then why spend money when you dont have to!

Alternatively buy yourself some lovely Brembos
    '97 EVO 4 GSR

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Get yourself a large canister of vinegar. Put it into a container large enough for your discs and soak them overnight or longer if possible. Then use wire wool to remove the surface rust. Coarse grade first and then a finer grade. The grooves will scrape out witha screwdriver and the edges should also flake off fairly easy with the help of a screwdriver also. As for the Calipers, thats really just cosmetic. But if you want them to look nice, then a rub down and then some caliper paint will do the trick. It won't last for ever, but it'll look good for a wee while..

Glenn

PS.. Using the pads to clean up the discs can totally knacker your pads and discs. It's ok when there is only a small amount of surface rust, and even then it's best to be done gradually and not with heavy breaking. Reason being is the rust gets embedded into the pad, and then causing them not to work efficiently and causing judder also. It's lthe same as get pad deposits on the discs. But this time there in the pad.

Name
    Alex
    Last Online
    24-08-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Audi S4 Avant

I'd be tempeted to at least service the calipers and clean the surface rust off the discs.

Also, same as what Wodj said.

Name
    Taff
    Last Online
    01-05-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum vr-4

thanks for the suggestions lads.

my mates father (who is fixing up the car for me) is popping up tomorrow (weather depending) to start and remove some damaged parts off my car. he thinks that it will be possible to fix the car where it stands...that will be brilliant if he can fix it there.

i think i will go down the soaking the discs in vinegar first. i think i'll add some coka cola and tomato souse (put a dollop on an old 1p or 2p coin, and leave for 1min and wash off. it'll be like new) into the mix. that should get rid of the rust in no time

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...kw=polycarbide

Search ebay for polycarbide if the above link doesn't work. They are very good at removing rust from brake discs.