Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

the reason i ask about the method of forming the covers is the vacuum forming mothod requires a different type type of part, as you can't use vertical surfaces as the vacuum forming process causes unwanted webbing at the edges and the bends.
    well that is what i seem to remember form a few years ago.

maybe it would be a case of just me creating the 3d model as per the original cam cover and the company in question can then tweek the design to be manufacturable in there facility and useing there vacuum forming process

Bye for Now!

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    the reason i ask about the method of forming the covers is the vacuum forming mothod requires a different type type of part, as you can't use vertical surfaces as the vacuum forming process causes unwanted webbing at the edges and the bends.
    well that is what i seem to remember form a few years ago.

maybe it would be a case of just me creating the 3d model as per the original cam cover and the company in question can then tweek the design to be manufacturable in there facility and useing there vacuum forming process
    I have already emailed them asking what would be the best method and material for covers production (with 2 conditions: being transparent and durable as stock) and attached pictures of similar covers for Skyline and Evo engines, so they would know what I'm about.
    Hope to get answers soon.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

well i have done the front cam cover as a basic 3d model, i will do a sanity check on it, e.g. print it on paper one to one scale and see if it fits on my car, bolt holes cam gear clearance, that sort of thing.
    then i will then pretty it up doing al the edge blends , chamfers, etc.

i will post up the file viewer link so you can view the file as a 3d model. i think it will be a JT file viewer.

the manufacturer will need the model exported in a certain file format so the can read it into there machines. the normal format is .IGS (igis) or .stp (step 203), i can do others but these are the most popular. i can give them a 2d pdf dimensioned up drawing as well, if required. but the more thay want the longer it will take.
    let me know what they want.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

well i have done the front cam cover as a basic 3d model, i will do a sanity check on it, e.g. print it on paper one to one scale and see if it fits on my car, bolt holes cam gear clearance, that sort of thing.
    Good.

There is some progress here as well.
    I've sent total of 12 different queries to different manufactures. Got 7 responses on my emails. Still waiting for other 5.
    In 2 cases they are unable to do covers (they don't have sufficient technology).
    Anyway, after some chat seems with two companies with 3D printing stuff reckons they can do covers for reasonable money. Both require CAD model to assess costs. Others still not sure if they do injection into moulds or other way, but I'm gonna call them have chat.
    Seems that we need basic CAD (3D model) at least of 1 cover to let them assess how much material is used, etc.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by swinks View Post
    Good.

There is some progress here as well.
    I've sent total of 12 different queries to different manufactures. Got 7 responses on my emails. Still waiting for other 5.
    In 2 cases they are unable to do covers (they don't have sufficient technology).
    Anyway, after some chat seems with two companies with 3D printing stuff reckons they can do covers for reasonable money. Both require CAD model to assess costs. Others still not sure if they do injection into moulds or other way, but I'm gonna call them have chat.
    Seems that we need basic CAD (3D model) at least of 1 cover to let them assess how much material is used, etc.
    i will have it done this weekend tomasz, i will post upthe file in step203 format and IGES which are both standard outputs.
    i will also post those links up ti the respective viewrs.
    i have to do one more thing on the model and that is put the groove in to take the sponge gasket that seals the cover to the engine mount for some reason the extrude will not subtract from the cover body. i will work it out and print it off to overlay it on the cam covers i have to make sure it is going to fit.

there will still be some tweeking needed to the model until i am completely satisfied that it is exactly what we need, as i know and anybody else will know if they have taken a cam cover off the rear one generally catches on the back cam and you have to manhandle it off and over the cam so i would want to put some kind of cut out in that area to make it easier to remove. it will leave a slightly exposed area at the back of the cambelt but i would be happy with that. we can discuss this kind of stuff once the company is found that can do the job for a reasonable price. There may even be an opertunity to put a logo/website address on the cover if it does not add cost.

The manufacture of the cover via 3d printing has to be looked at in detail. we have a 3d printer at work, but the bed is too small to print a full cam cover, but that is not the issue. the plastic that is printed on our printed (objet Eden250) comes with 2 different print inks, one makes a defomable plastic item but is lacking in ridgidity for our purpose and the other ink makes a very stiff plastic item but it is quite brittle and will crack.
    unfortunatly both inks are only semi transparent and start going soft/drippy/melting at about 50deg C so they would not be much good in the engine bay.
    tomasz you will have to get conformation from the comanies what the finished spec of the plastics will be once it is cured.

Tomasz you are going to have to get them to send you a sample of the cover so you can drop it and kick it about and test it to see if it will stand up to the abuse it is likely to get in our hands. if they don't want to send you a full scale sample due to people trying to get a fee sample and then not placing an order with them you could ask for a half scale sample or something like that.
    Last edited by Davezj; 20-07-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Regarding 3D printing. Already 2 manufacturers declared that they are able to do transparent items, but they need also following info like operating temp. (up to 150C ?), chemicals in environment (oils, grease) and most important CAD drawing to assess structure and costs.
    There were other 2 manufacturers offering injection into mould, but they have equipment that does minimum 1000 items at 1 go. Pretty useless in our case.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Ok here we go @swinks
    the first draft of front cam cover is done. the dimentions are not quite correct so i will have to do another version and construct it in a slightly different way as the first one didn't quite work as i intended and is not correct so it can not be used to crate a front cam cover that fits. but it will be good enough for a price quote to be done, then we can get feed back on the dimentions i have used for thickness and angles, etc to see i it can be made cheaper or more easilymanufacturable.
    i can incorperate anything needed in the next version.

these are the free downlodable viewer for the files i am going to post up. just download the 15mb file and run it. it is a bit basic but it is a free viewer.

http://igsviewer.com/

http://stpviewer.com/

i can't upload .stp and .igs files so i have zipped them up together. just download them and unzip them and use the the correct viewer to have a look and let me know what you think.

hope this works OK.

sorry guys i just get a red cross icon where the file should be.
    can anyone else see the file @BraindG
    barry what am i doing wrong to get a .zip file or .pdf for the that matter.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BraindG; 24-07-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Name
    Barry
    Last Online
    29-10-2023
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Galant VR4
    My Garage
    Visit

I've fixed..

You can't attach anything other than images "inline".
    SUPPORT CLUBVR-4 TODAY!
    Please do not PM Moderators and Committee Directly, for quicker response times please follow this guide
    HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

My Articles: Fog Light in Rear Cluster - Changing AYC Switch - Changing Drive Shaft - Changing Front suspension
    My Projects: Installing Uprated Clutch - making Gauge Pods (Tri-pod)
    Club Related: HOW TO Guides - HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators
    RIP: Type-S - 1998 R - Trigger Mauve - Mauve History | First VR4 - Second VR4 - Third VR4

Profile for BraindG
    Get your own fuel sig in the Garage (Members Only) - Visit my Garage ........What Is Geocaching?

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Downloaded

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

How does it look tomasz, is what you were expecting.

Thank barry

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Looks good Dave, good job.
    Did send them to manufactures, waiting for reply.
    In 1 case I was re-directed to UK based company.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

When you get an estimate of price back from manufactures, Let me know if it is worth me doing version two with the exact dimension on it, and let me know any manufacturing requirements that are needed so I can tweek the design to make it work.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Sorry, no good news at the moment. Seems that being in PL I have to go few offices and headquaters to speak in person.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

just let me know when you need the next version.

Name
    shane
    Last Online
    12-11-2023
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    fto with 6A13TT

You guys had any luck on this issue, looks like a race to see who has them made first aus or the uk. any way ill buy a set either way

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

waiting on tomasz to fill in the details.

but i think it might cost more than he thought. i might have to come up with a dumb down version of a cam cover that can be vacuum formed in one prcess over a blank. with no frilly bits just an formed cover, no spaces for the rubber sealing srips or anything like that.

we will have to wait and see.

Name
    shane
    Last Online
    12-11-2023
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    fto with 6A13TT

I did say they are not cheap to get made hence the $220 aud price tag.

but i think it might cost more than he thought. i might have to come up with a dumb down version of a cam cover that can be vacuum formed in one prcess over a blank. with no frilly bits just an formed cover, no spaces for the rubber sealing srips or anything like that.

we will have to wait and see.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

No good news I'm afraid.
    I had to give up on this project. Hadn't got enough time, and energy to follow up.
    Being p**sed off by my vr4 big time, I spent 5 more days than expected on heads refurb. Also few family issues, so I couldn't focus on this project.
    Sorry guys. I failed.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

fair play tomasz, we all have to prioritize our time.

if you want any other 3D CAD drawings doing or PCB then give me a shout. this is what i do for my job, i am a PCB designer, that does 3d CAD stuff on the side.

let me know
    dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12