Last Online
    23-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    S4

Ralliart Legnum/galant Vr4 - Advise Needed Please

Need some advice as I am going to look at a Ralliart VR4 later this week:-

Its a Galant/Legnum Estate which was imported from new in June 2000 and apparantly has FSH.

What should it say on the V5 regarding the model as it only says Mitsubishi and there is no model type?

How can I tell if it is a genuine Ralliart VR4?

Is there any point doing a HPI check on something that has been imported from new?

Can anyone recommend an insurer as if it's classed a UK VR4 it seems more expensive?

Thanks

Any help advice appreciated.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

If it was supplied new by a mitsy dealer, it should have the service book with appropriate stamps in it. (To include pre-delivery check with mileage, as well as all service stamps.) The MPH conversion on the dashboard is NOT a sticker over the top of the original KPH. The dealers also undersealed the car before delivery, so check for that. The V5's seem to be a bit erratic, to say the least!

Having said all of that, I know of at least one car that was imported privately from new, so that could be the case with the one you are seeing.

All VR4's are considered imports by the insurers, as all of them came into the country minus the foglight and with a speedo in KPH. I guess some of them might say there is a difference between official import and grey, but I never found an insurance company that cared.

The HPI check gives peace of mind against major crash damage, mileage, stolen/recovered etc as well as loans owed on it. I would always do one on a car I bought privately.

Where are you going to see it? Maybe a local member could go along for the ride and have a look with you?

Name
    Stu
    Last Online
    23-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    S4

cheers mate, can you recommend any insurance companies that i could ring?

Name
    Stu
    Last Online
    23-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    S4

crowborough is where the car is based - anyone near?

Name
    Ritch
    Last Online
    17-09-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '03 Colt 16v &

Quote Originally Posted by Sulli
    cheers mate, can you recommend any insurance companies that i could ring?
    Lifesure - loadsa posts on this - check here;

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/search.php?searchid=54232
    BMW E60 525i (3.0) M-Sport.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

crowborough is where the car is based - anyone near?
    Many many miles from me, I'm afraid!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Had coversation with DVLA about V5 - there was not/is not a code/designation from manufacturer for VR-4 so it is a Mitsubishi Galant

Do not remember if VR5 had V6 and/or V6-24 on but they said that they made a note of my call re car being VR-4 twin turbo

V5 will not therefore show it as a VR-4 AFAIK

Name
    Jane
    Last Online
    11-08-2020
    Country
    England
    Car
    Ralliart VR4 Ty

My Ralliart had their name in the service book as being the 1st owner. I took the chassis number and confirmed it with them as being correct that they had imported it :-D

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    20-12-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Lotus Sunbeam

Sulli,

I'm based in Maidstone, Kent which is close to Crowborough. When are you going to see the car? If you want a professional opinion, speak to Tony Peters at Brighton Mitsubishi ( 01273 388808). He is a very knowledgable (sic) Salesman who has sold quite a few VR4s in his time. They will do inspections for you, but I am not sure of the price. Give him a call and say Phil sent you.

If you can wait until the weekend, then I can go and take a look at the car with you. I'm no mechanic, but four years of VR4 ownership have tought me some things!

Phil
    It's a black, penis substitute and will be mine in less than a week...watch this space.

Name
    Stu
    Last Online
    23-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    S4

Cheers Phil - I am hoping to go up Saturday, if you're free, that would be excellent

Last Online
    22-04-2012
    Country
    England

Thumbs up More distinguished than a Rubbersoo.

Need some advice as I am going to look at a Ralliart VR4 later this week:-

Its a Galant/Legnum Estate which was imported from new in June 2000 and apparantly has FSH.

What should it say on the V5 regarding the model as it only says Mitsubishi and there is no model type?

How can I tell if it is a genuine Ralliart VR4?

Is there any point doing a HPI check on something that has been imported from new?

Can anyone recommend an insurer as if it's classed a UK VR4 it seems more expensive?

Thanks

Any help advice appreciated.
    Sulli, I own Nick Manns Galant est' now. If the car is a Ralliart Supplied it'll have the logos on the bodywork and also uk stickers in the glovebox ,underside of the bonnet. Waxoil's visible on mine around the bulkhead tray near the wipers and on the underside of the bonnet. Ralliart do this to imports,oh it'll be dripping out of the doorskin drainholes. Yes i said DOORSKIN!
    HPI Definate.
    Good Luck, The're a TOP MOTOR :thumb1: .
    You'll be surprised how well they go round corners!
    Cheers, Al.
    Lifesure for insurance, dead easy over the phone.

Name
    Stu
    Last Online
    23-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    S4

Thanks for all the replies.

I took a deposit for my car last night, and it's going tomorrow so if this car is OK on Saturday, i should be a new VR4 owner :-b

I have got a copy of the V5 for the car, and have also spoken to Gatwick and Haywards Heath Mitsubishi, whom the owner thought it may have been imported by. It turns out they have both serviced it (and the details they gave me verified the mileage), but didn't import it. i spoke to Mitsubishi direct, and they confirmed that it was imported by Colt Car Imports (as all the official imports were, apparently), however they thought it went to Haywards Heath Mitsubishi initially - which according to them it didn't. Probably not important, but i'm going to phone Ralliart UK (Xtreme as they are now called) and see if they imported it originally.

I'll check the speedo, underbody and look out for stickers when i view the car. Did the Ralliart ones have any extra mods? I think I read somewhere that the suspension was upgraded???
    Also, if it's an official import, should I expect the MMCS or whatever it's called to be in English? Will it have Sat Nav and DVD?

Anything else in particular I should look out for on inspection generally?

Thanks again

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    20-12-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Lotus Sunbeam

Sulli,

Sounds like you have a Genuine UK Car, so if it does not have full Service History then something is amiss! Besides, if you do like the car a Red Zebra warranty should be available if the car is under 100k miles.

Drop me a line on 07768 065781 so we can chat about meeting up.

Phil.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I'll check the speedo, underbody and look out for stickers when i view the car. Did the Ralliart ones have any extra mods? I think I read somewhere that the suspension was upgraded???
    Also, if it's an official import, should I expect the MMCS or whatever it's called to be in English? Will it have Sat Nav and DVD?
    There were rumours that the alternator was upgraded (Bud don't mention that to Al!) and the ecu was re-mapped to cope with 95 octane, but I never substantiated either of those. I am 99% certain that none of the official imports had the MMCS. Just the normal aftermarket stereo and normal climate control panel.

I agree with Phil, it does sound like an official import. As it is a 2000 car, then I don't think that Xtreme will have imported it, but mitsubishi. The service stamp on the pre-delivery check should tell you which dealer supplied it. Good luck on saturday, and let us know the result!

Last Online
    03-06-2008
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    VR-4

Good luck on Saturday!!!!
    The Scooby is going , and what a minter it is too, someone has bought a cracking car!!
    Let us know how you get on.
    Dave aka Scoobypreza

Name
    Stu
    Last Online
    23-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    S4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann
    There were rumours that the alternator was upgraded (Bud don't mention that to Al!) and the ecu was re-mapped to cope with 95 octane, but I never substantiated either of those. I am 99% certain that none of the official imports had the MMCS. Just the normal aftermarket stereo and normal climate control panel.

I agree with Phil, it does sound like an official import. As it is a 2000 car, then I don't think that Xtreme will have imported it, but mitsubishi. The service stamp on the pre-delivery check should tell you which dealer supplied it. Good luck on saturday, and let us know the result!
    The first service stamp (1,000 miles), and apparently the pre-delivery check stamp, both appear to be Ralliart (Mitsubishi?) in Dudley (now Xtreme I believe) - that's according to the bloke who is selling it who I spoke to earlier. I presume they used to be (or indeed still are) an official Mitsubishi dealer, as well as a performance/tuning place?? So does it make sense that they imported it in 2000? I am going to ring them tomorrow anyway, to check.

And Dave - yes the Scooby went today - sad to see it go. It went to the first person to see it, as I knew it would - just hope the Legnum lives up to it's predecessor

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Mitsubishi realised that Ralliart Dudley were on to a good thing, so took the Ralliart name off them and started importing the cars themselves. Thus Ralliart Dudley became Xtreme. I am not sure when that happened, or if Xtreme stopped importing new cars when it did, so I guess it could be possible that Xtreme did bring it in. In which case, most of the UK supplied differences above may not apply? I'm sure they will verify with you when you 'phone, as the few times I have spoken to them they have always been helpful.

I don't think they are an official Mitsubishi dealer, but from what I have heard people say they know a lot more about the VR4 than most official dealers do!

Name
    Jeff
    Last Online
    31-12-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR4 Legnum

Got the VR4 from X-treme, if you need any advice, speak to Simon, a very knowledgable guy, has had quite a few VR4's through his hands, and Nick you are right about the Ralliart/Xtreme thing, had quite a long conversation with him about it, but not sure how long ago it was. AFAIK when the chipped up EVO's have FQ before the name, then they are X-treme tuned cars, (they kept the good mechanics from Ralliart!!) where as opposed MR are Ralliart cars. I think thats right.....
    The car came with 27k and one owner, and all the servcing from day 1 has been with X-treme, so they may have brought the car in?
    Also, on this subject of UK Ralliart cars (which the Legnum is) i have seen a few advertised with leather, I thought that the Ralliart changes (underbody sealing etc) included Recaros which mine has, and the momo wheel. Any ideas?

Name
    Phil
    Last Online
    20-12-2010
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Lotus Sunbeam

According to my research, the VR4 came in three flavours: bog standard interior(hen's teeth), Recaro (with Momo Sterring wheel) and beige Leather (IMHO sounds as bad as it looks! As does the Nardi Torino steering wheel). Before anyone jumps on me, I've owned both a leather and a Recaro interior so feel qualified to diss one!
    When I went to collect my latest VR4, I was show a UK Ralliart Saloon with a bog standard (Import) interior. I was surprised as anyone but there are a very rare few around.

Phil

PS - Sulli, are you going to call?

Name
    Stu
    Last Online
    23-12-2011
    Country
    England
    Car
    S4

Spoke to Ralliart today. They did import it, in 2000, and fitted black leather ineterior, Kenwood ICE and 18" BBS Alloys, and sold it on for.........£34k, new!

All seems legit, and HPI came back clear, so all looking promising.

Il Dottore, i'll bell you in a bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast