Last Online
    01-05-2015
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    Galant Vr4 S

Hello From Wales !!

Hi all and greetings from wales (UK)
    New to the site and new to VR4 though i have owned the galant N/A v6 sport for a few years which is in in pieces at the moment thanks to mystery fault. Looking to expand my knowledge and meet other vr4 enthusiasts to absorb their knowledge like some brain suckin leech of boosty goodness. I am reasonably competent and will have a go at almost anything if I have reliable info to follow.

First up looking to find a good website that sells aftermarket parts for the galant that are quality and not overpriced. Help with this will be much appreciated as cant find many suppliers of galant after market parts thats not in the US lol

THanks guys n girls

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    05-02-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Volvo V70 T5

welcome

Btw where abouts in wales are you? I'm a valley boy

edit: just noticed Rhondda, not that far then. I was living near Abercrave

Name
    jamie
    Last Online
    01-05-2015
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    Galant Vr4 S

Cool, being such a rare car in wales its nice to know im not the only other vr4 owner here lol

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    27-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi and welcome to the club,
    lots of info and helpful bods on here.
    just remeber to have a search through some of te threads before asking the obvious questions that have been asked and answered many time before.
    full membership is worth it's weight in gold, as there is lots more info in the library and article sections for the paid up members only.

have fun with car, and if in doubt ask the question (after a search obviously) sometimes it is not easy finding the info you want, and i can recommend using the advance search as it generally will come up trumps.

As for lots of after market tuning bit there are not that many around in this country but there are jap sites, american sites, and Auz and NZ site (RPW being one) that have bits you might be interested in, and there is alot of universal stuff on eaby like fuel pumps and intercooler, etc.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    12-07-2017
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Airtrek R turbo
    My Garage
    Visit

Hi & welcome to CVR4.
    The mighty Leedsnum has gone but the Airtrek mods will soon fill this space

How To:Contact Committee or Moderators.

Name
    Marc
    Last Online
    05-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-3 TurboX

Hi, welcome
    Camskill are a reasonable site for standard parts as well

Name
    jamie
    Last Online
    01-05-2015
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    Galant Vr4 S

Thanks for the advice people. Will sign up for full membership as soon as i get some money in. A recent MOT failure has emptied my pockets.
    Galant Vr4 2000 X black
    Evo 6 FQ 400 Brembos
    Evo 6 FQ 400 Drilled Grooved Disks
    Ralliart Adj coil overs
    3" Powerflow Cat back custom
    Rspec Boost controller (utter junk really) ** NOW REMOVED **
    Generic (but very pretty and accurate) boost gauge
    Sport Cat for M.O.T. Purposes
    Redstuff Pads
    Usual NGK plugs, leads etc

Galant V6 Sport W Silver

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

What is wrong with the V6? A few of us have had one, maybe we can help with the diagnosis? Often talking about it triggers more thoughts on how to attack it at least....

Not sure how you have got Evo 6 suspension to fit your VR4? I was under the impression it is very different between evo and 8th gen Galant.

There aren't many places for aftermarket parts for the VR4, as you are finding out. And remember that most of the stuff in the USA listed as VR4 is for the 6th gen Galant VR4 or the 3000GT/GTO.

Sorry, just read this back and realised it sounds like quite a negative post, it wasn't meant that way! Have fun with the car.

Name
    jamie
    Last Online
    01-05-2015
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    Galant Vr4 S

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post

What is wrong with the V6? A few of us have had one, maybe we can help with the diagnosis? Often talking about it triggers more thoughts on how to attack it at least....

Not sure how you have got Evo 6 suspension to fit your VR4? I was under the impression it is very different between evo and 8th gen Galant.

There aren't many places for aftermarket parts for the VR4, as you are finding out. And remember that most of the stuff in the USA listed as VR4 is for the 6th gen Galant VR4 or the 3000GT/GTO.

Sorry, just read this back and realised it sounds like quite a negative post, it wasn't meant that way! Have fun with the car.

I was told it was evo 6 when I bought it but it all definitely off an evo of some sort as It has white adjustable gas coil overs with ralliart etched into them (which even on soft are spine shattering). they are an exact fit to the oem part. will have to look into this further.

With regards to the V6 it gave me the run around. When trying to accelerate even moderately it hesitates badly. when I bought it it seemed to be very heavy on fuel 8-10 mpg and very rich so after haing it diagnosed i was told it was faulty maf sensor which the previous seller had hidden by chopping two wires out of the maf loom and whipping out the ecu light (which stupidly i didnt notice on test drive). after reconnecting the wires and replacing maf sensor the fault was still there. though the replaced ECU light went out. things I have ruled out using values stated by mitsi (official workshop manual available for the 4 cyl and 6a13, pm me if u want a copy):-
    faulty egr
    new cat
    both 02 sensors working fine
    Throttle position sensor ok
    vacuum leaks

oh and while investing the fuel pump found a relay badly wired into the fuel pump. so badly that there was exposed live solder joints in the wires bent back not to touch ground, not to mention that this was unfused from the starter motor relay (gee thanks for letting me buy a time bomb for my kids to ride in). I know this is a common mod but dont see why it would help the V^ as all it seemed to have is a K&N cone

After experiencing fuel cut from overboosting the vr4 it is very similar, only slightly less violent judder which i assume is from the lack of turbo compression.
    dont care if I give her away now I just want to know what the problem is.

Oh and if you unplug the maf sensor it runs better albeit rich and back to 8-10mpg again
    Last edited by jamiep; 13-08-2012 at 01:47 AM. Reason: forgot :-/

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I have seen the white Ralliart shocks on VR-4s before. I suspect they were a factory/dealer option.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Hi mate and welcome to the club, Im situated not far from you in Hereford. Sorry to hear about the V6 but now you have the VR-4 to enjoy anyway lol

Name
    simon
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    Galant/legnum

Hi, I live in Dinas Powys in south wales and only days ago bought a vr4 Legnum. I also own a V6 galant which had similar issues as yours, high emissions,fuel etc.
    My problem was connected to the bank 2 sensor and tried to solve the problem by purchasing a cheaper sensor which I was assured would work but ended up not being compatible or basically faulty. Other garages were suggesting it was the temp sensor. After buying the genuine o2 sensor the problem went away. Might see you around south wales.