Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Keen on getting a NZ firearm licence? Read this:

*** Firstly if you're not into firearms, or not resident in NZ then this thread is not for you, so avert your eyes... now ***

Shooting in my native South Africa (and New Zealand), is the favourite pastime of many people. I started learning to shoot from the tender age of 4 when I fired my first .22 rifle. Given that my father and other members of my family were, at the time, "lifers" in the defence force, young Ryan was inculcated with an array of correct (read: safe) handling procedures, general marksman ship skills - etc.

Anyway, fast forward to late 2004, a much older Ryan waves goodbye to his firearms and country to emigrate to New Zealand. Without waffling, I basically arrived in New Zealand with a suitcase and nothing else. Firearm ownership was the furthest thing from my mind at the time but I'd always intended to apply for a licence but for years... as so often is the case, life happened and it simply never eventuated.

Until several weeks ago. So what follows is a guide to anyone wishing to apply for their FAL:

I've done some duck / hunting / target shooting in the past and would be keen to do it again. What's the first step?

Firstly, if you have any criminal convictions for serious offences (domestic violence, drug use, gang violence, mental health problems etc) you pretty much stand no chance of being granted a licence. My advice would be to simply forget about it. Drink driving convictions are also frowned upon and you'll have a hard time convincing the police that you are a "fit and proper person".

If you're a decent bloke, such as myself, the first thing you'll need to do is download and complete this application form (PDF). Remember that you will need to provide at least two character references. One will be your spouse, the other someone who is not related to you. Once you've completed that form, trundle along to any NZ Post Shop and pay $126.50 to them and they'll stamp it and give you a receipt - keep this receipt!

You are required to submit one (1) passport photograph - if the Post Shop offer to take them for you, don't! They'll charge you $20 for the privilege and give you six... a waste. I know this because the beautiful blonde behind the counter trapped me I then had my photos taken but because I was too tall for the weird back drop that descended from the ceiling, I had to sort of bend at the knee, arms akimbo to have the photos taken - and of course she wasn't a National Geographic photographer either so I spent far too long in this stress position while she eventually managed to get a picture that was correct.

The good thing though is that they have a system which instantly tells if the photo would be rejected (i.e. does not meet passport standard) or not. Still - shop around.

You will also need at least three forms of ID according to the police website but when I applied, they only took two. A driver licence, passport and credit card were what I used. Grab all this and head to your local police station and ask to speak to the arms officer. Tell him / her what you're after and hand over the documents.

They'll make copies and they should give you a copy of the Arms Code to study... When I did this, they didn't so here is a link to it for you to download (PDF ~1.2MB)

Okay great I've handed in my forms and paid the money, what happens now?

Note: The following events will not necessarily take place in the sequence described so ensure that you are ready, regardless.

After I'd handed in my forms, the following week the police interviewed my references (non family). The week after, they came and interviewed my wife and I (separately) and also checked my security (i.e. where the firearms would be stored). When you are interviewed you will be asked several character based questions such as:

* Why do you want to own a firearm?
    * What experience do you have with firearms?
    * How much do you drink and do you have a problem with alcohol?
    * Do you do drugs?
    * Are you violent or abusive?

NB: Self defence is not an acceptable reason to apply for a licence - if you mention this you'll kiss your application goodbye. Firearm ownership in New Zealand is a privilege, not a right.

Lastly, I attended the obligatory safety lecture from the Mountain Safety Council and wrote the FAL test. The test is 30 multiple choice questions - you are only allowed two (2) incorrect answers. If you answer any of the seven (7) basic firearms safety questions incorrectly, you will fail immediately! The seven basic rules are:

* Always treat a firearm as if it is loaded
    * Always point a firearm in a safe direction
    * Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    * Identify your target beyond all doubt
    * Check your firing zone
    * Store firearms and ammunition safely
    * Avoid alcohol or drugs when handling firearms (in my opinion this should be first)

Repeat: Answer any of the above incorrectly and you will fail. The test is pretty easy and is common sense. I scored 30/30 for example

What kind of security do I need?

If you are issued a firearms licence, you will be issued the bog standard "A category" licence (more on licences later). If you intend owning pistols or MSSA (military style semi-automatics) later go for the maximum security. If you only intend owning rifles and shotguns then the minimum security requirements are as follows. They are a bit ambiguous, admittedly.

Regulation 19, Arms Regulation 1992 - appended, states that the following recommendations are:

1. A purpose built steel cabinet of 3mm thickness or better. The cabinet on installation, must be bolted to the floor and supporting wall. Cabinets of less than 3mm thickness are approved for "A Category" only and must be installed on a similar basis and firearms contained within must be restrained by a steel cable or similar device within that cabinet.

2. A purpose built steel gun rack in which the whole firearm is locked into. Gun racks must be fitted into areas where they cannot be visibly seen, e.g. a wardrobe etc.

3. The use of an existing wardrobe, hot water cupboard, clothes locker or similar may be used as long as the firearms are restrained by a suitable locking device (cable, chain etc anchored to a solid fixed point) and in an out of sight situation. (Yes they used the word "situation" )

I've passed the test, my interview went well and my security is "all at" - when can I expect my licence?

In theory you should receive it the week or two after your last event, however the manufacturer of the cards which was previously located in Christchurch, has moved operations to Auckland and they have a backlog of applications to process which they should have caught up on but mine took 5 weeks and another reprint to arrive so you will have to be patient.

You obviously cannot purchase any firearms until you have this card.

Types of licences and what you are allowed to own

A Category: Rifles and shotguns only: Rifles cannot exceed a magazine capacity of 15 rounds (.22 only) or 7 rounds (center fire). Single shot, bolt, lever action and semi-automatic permitted. There is no restriction on the number you can own. The rifle or shotgun cannot be shorter than 762mm or it is classed as a pistol. It cannot have a freestanding pistol grip, flash hider, bayonet lug, folding or telescopic stock or have the appearance of holding more than 15 rounds (.22 only) or 7 rounds (center fire).

B Category: Pistols: Must already possess an A Category licence - must be a member of a pistol club, must shoot at least 12 times in six months at a registered pistol club. Should one apply for this endorsement on their licence, one would need to be recommended by the club and provide four (4) character references, plus pay a higher licensing fee (think ~$200) and have 3mm+ steel security (safe). If approved you will be granted "permission to procure" which basically means that you're allowed to go and buy a pistol. Once purchased, the police will record the serial number in their register. You are only permitted to use it on an approved and registered shooting range - nowhere else, no farms or anything like that. If you lose your club membership or no longer shoot, your licence will be revoked.

E Category: Military Style Semi Automatics: Must already possess an A Category licence - Arguably the most difficult licence to obtain. Very similar requirements to above. Unlike A or B category, should you be an E category holder, you cannot allow anyone to even handle let alone fire an E category weapon.

There are other categories but they are for collectors or dealers which most people wouldn't find relevant.
    Last edited by Ryan; 05-10-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Name
    Reece
    Last Online
    14-04-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Manual Super

Yeep its pretty in depth to get your gun licence, my step dad had to go through most of this when renewing it as well.

Then my uncle haha he's got so many guns its not funny :L since he used to be apart of the SAS he got his licence pretty easy. It's awesome seeing all the guns he has.

Several WWI and WWII guns then the normal .22 .303 .44 Magnum lol
    Manual Super #143/283

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Nothing wrong with being in depth. Would much prefer that than just giving them out to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Name
    Reece
    Last Online
    14-04-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Manual Super

Yep. Unlike America. Its good that they do thesame when you renew it as well.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

The USA is quite different because the right to bear arms is enshrined in their constitution (2nd amendment). The laws also vary from state to state - some (e.g. the southern states) tending to be more liberal than the mid-western states for example.

Name
    Reece
    Last Online
    14-04-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Manual Super

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The USA is quite different because the right to bear arms is enshrined in their constitution (2nd amendment). The laws also vary from state to state - some (e.g. the southern states) tending to be more liberal than the mid-western states for example.
    I like you Ryan. So full of knowledge

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

guns are fun in the right circumstances....

me and .50 desert eagle
    SAM_0318 (Medium).JPG

me and ak47
    SAM_0338 (Medium).JPG

me and m249 saw
    SAM_0351 (Medium).JPG

Name
    Reece
    Last Online
    14-04-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Manual Super

An M249? Bloody hell haha.

Now there's a good support weapon right there.

Good gun in Battlefield 3 as well lol

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by Badger_01 View Post
    An M249? Bloody hell haha.

Now there's a good support weapon right there.

Good gun in Battlefield 3 as well lol
    The novelty wears off pretty quickly when you have to carry it, the ammunition and spare barrel around for days on end.

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

yeah that wouldnt be fun, but shooting it was,

the DE was my fav thou, one hell of a kick to it.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Carsten, did you go full auto with the AK? It's on semi in the pic...

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

full auto.

if/when we go back to vagas, ill be doing the gun range again with a different selection of guns,

would like to try the .44 magnum (dirty harry), thompson .45 & sks 7.62x39
    Last edited by Gly; 08-10-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

I think I'll give you a shopping list when you do Did Marian have a go with anything or not keen?

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

Quote Originally Posted by Gly View Post
    full auto.

if/when we go back to vagas, ill be doing the gun range again with a different selection of guns,

would like to try the .44 magnum (dirty harry), thompson .45 & sks 7.62x39
    Have fired a Ruger Blackhawk (.44 Mag) with a 7.5" barrel - makes a very impressive flame! I'd be into the Thompson for sure!

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think I'll give you a shopping list when you do Did Marian have a go with anything or not keen?
    Yes she did, Glock, Uzi and a Sniper rifle