Thread: Greg's VR4 Type-S

Name
    Greg
    Last Online
    27-06-2017
    Country
    Other

Greg's VR4 Type-S

Finally found a nice example at auction, took the plunge, made the purchase today. I won't get it for a month or so, since I just missed the ship to Canada. I just have the auction pictures for now, but I will post more as I get them.

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Have fun!

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

I'd hold onto that tow hook cover, it's the bit on the lower part of the bumper - directly under the licence plate. They come off quite easily.

What are your plans for the vehicle and what's Canadian law like regarding importing RHD vehicles?

Name
    Greg
    Last Online
    27-06-2017
    Country
    Other

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'd hold onto that tow hook cover, it's the bit on the lower part of the bumper - directly under the licence plate. They come off quite easily.

What are your plans for the vehicle and what's Canadian law like regarding importing RHD vehicles?
    Thanks for the tip. As far as the vehicle plans, I'll have to see when it lands, what needs to be done mechanically, if anything. I'm happy right now with how it looks.

Canadian laws aren't that bad. Vehicle has to be 15 years or older, proper tires, proper aimed headlights, daytime running lights, silly ugly reflectors, and thats about it.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

If you just drive around with your headlights on, can that get past the daytime running lights thing? Looks wise as it is now, it's fine - the stock 16x6 wheels that it has though are questionable. You will have quite a soft and comfortable ride but some wider wheels (Evo 5 onwards) would help fill the wheel arches. There is literally about an acre of space at the front between the top of the wheel arch and the top of the tyre

Another worthy investment would be a rear strut brace - it'll firm up the handling noticeably around corners. Is your automatic?

Name
    Greg
    Last Online
    27-06-2017
    Country
    Other

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    If you just drive around with your headlights on, can that get past the daytime running lights thing? Looks wise as it is now, it's fine - the stock 16x6 wheels that it has though are questionable. You will have quite a soft and comfortable ride but some wider wheels (Evo 5 onwards) would help fill the wheel arches. There is literally about an acre of space at the front between the top of the wheel arch and the top of the tyre

Another worthy investment would be a rear strut brace - it'll firm up the handling noticeably around corners. Is your automatic?
    Unfortunately, it has to go through an inspection before getting plated for the road, so they pass/fail for that kind of stuff.

I'm sure in the future I'll get new rims, and other smallish items for it. First however, I need to worry about getting it all paid for. Maybe I'll luck out, and it will already have the rear strut brace.

And yes, it is an automatic.

Name
    Ryan
    Last Online
    26-04-2018
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legacy 3.0R

You'll be going into winter soon, I'm sure the car will love the cool ambient temperatures and AWD should help get you around safely

Name
    Mike
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EVO 1RS

What an awesome country for an awesome car!!! Youll love it in the snow!
    Still here somewhere........

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

Looks good! And yeah, you'll really want to secure the tow hook cover with something. I had mine zip-tied on, and it still came off somewhere.

Name
    Greg
    Last Online
    27-06-2017
    Country
    Other

Car finally made it to the port, so I got some videos from the exporter, pictures on the way next. This feels like forever, and I likely won't be getting it till December.

Now if only I had some minidiscs kicking around...

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Looks good. Tidy engine bay, but would suggest replacing that pod filter with a standard one. Very unmolested example and a great base to begin modding

Laughing at the minidiscs as I used to have one in the car back in 2000/01. I still have that stereo in storage somewhere, and much prefered the minis to a full CD.
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Greg
    Last Online
    27-06-2017
    Country
    Other

Few of the pictures from the dock. I'll need to get new tires right away, so I'll toss some winters on the stock rims, then I guess start shopping for some summers...Any other simple good mods I should do at the start?

579447_10152227482360193_1251767510_n.jpg

644117_10152227483630193_2048889096_n.jpg

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, does look very clean and tidy!

I was looking at the lights on the dash, but unless any other bulbs have blown or been removed, the only lights on are the Handbrake On, Seatbelt Not Plugged In and Door Open lights, which is good. And of course, the always-on low fuel light!

Rear load cover might be missing, or just not pulled across.

I would look to replace the pod filter with a standard airbox and panel filter.

Also, take a close look at the radiator. If the plastic top has started looking translucent and you can see many fine hairline cracks, then it is likely to be near the end of its life. Having said that, mine looked like that for nearly four years!! The normal crack is usually worse (and is usually the first place to start leaking from) on the front edge of the plastic, between the top hose connector and the rad cap.

Did the normal 8G Galant make it to Canada at all? Quite a few of the ancillaries for them are compatible with VR-4s, including as radiators - although if you did get the Galant, but it was the same as the USDM one, then it might not be so good, as there are a lot more differences between USDM and JDM.

Other items I would be looking at are cambelt, tensioners, water pump, other belts, all fluids (engine oil, gearbox ATF, transfer box diff oil, rear diff oil, rear diff AYC fluid, AYC actuator fluid) and checking the condition of the suspension components, including the front straight arms.

Do you know the chassis number? You can check the recalls database to see if the recalls have been done.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Greg
    Last Online
    27-06-2017
    Country
    Other

Thanks for the reply.

Rear load cover is there, just rolled up. Pod filter does look pretty dirty, but I might keep it for a bit just to enjoy the extra sound. (That's the immature adult in me).

As far as the fluids, I'm going to get everything changed when she lands, so that I have a baseline for myself.

Canada did get the 8G Galant, but it was the boring North American version...I had the 3l V6 for about a year, won't be nearly as much fun as this...

I do have the chassis number. I'll do some Googling to check out some recalls. *edit* Thank you forum search...Recall work is done. That is a good thing.

Thanks for the tips.
    Last edited by GregA; 27-10-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Name
    tommie
    Last Online
    26-09-2023
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    legnum 1997

Very nice car, and condition 4b also, thats very very good.
    Japanese auction houses rate their cars 1 to 5, according to the overall condition.
    Condition 5 denotes an as new mint condition car.
    Obviously yours was well minded and cared for by its its previous owner(s)
    Enjoy.
    old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Name
    Marc
    Last Online
    05-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-3 TurboX

Nice looking Motor there

Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    Pod filter does look pretty dirty, but I might keep it for a bit just to enjoy the extra sound.
    Even with a brand new clean filter the pods tend to mess up the air readings to the MAF and can result in lower power figures and rough running, - I dont know if anyone has ever done a back to back on a Rolling road to prove it though?

Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    As far as the fluids, I'm going to get everything changed when she lands, so that I have a baseline for myself.
    good read here

Name
    Andrew
    Last Online
    27-02-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant V6 TT

Looks nice. One thing I would look at first though is the underside. JDMs don't tend to have much underbody protection and with Canadian winters it might appreciate some work in this area.

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

If you get a free-flowing panel filter on the stock airbox and up the boost it will make enough sound, and without the loss of power associated with pods.

Name
    Greg
    Last Online
    27-06-2017
    Country
    Other

Yes! I am home with my car finally! Long day yesterday and had to go to silly work today...But finally.

All I gotta say, is what a fun car! This of course coming from driving a 1988 Honda Accord worth $500 for the last few months...

206550_10152396002600193_2141163888_n.jpg

534325_10152396002645193_1998168178_n.jpg

307680_10152396003600193_1540035630_n.jpg

I'd have more pictures, but it keeps getting dark too early.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast