Last Online
    18-08-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

iPad instead of headunit

http://www.youtube.com/channel/SW3iw_LsMJ9BE

Not only it looks good but also means i can get tid of the sunglasses holder which i always hated.
    not sure about the signal strenght for sat nav, radio and vibration it gonna suffer while on the dash. any ideas?

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

I was looking at this but using a tablet rather than ipad but each to there own i fitted a screen ready for my in car pc and then had a new phone to which now i connect to the screen and use for pc instead

Name
    Trent
    Last Online
    08-11-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Legnum (Manual)

youtube sound man car audio theyve done this alot for a long time.

Name
    menno
    Last Online
    21-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum VR4S
    My Garage
    Visit

Nice job. Was looking for this to connect Evoscan. Should get external antenna for radio and GPS. Is this possible?

Name
    Waqas
    Last Online
    18-08-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

that what i was thinking as to how to keep the signal strenght to use sat nav or so on. i was also thinking along the lines of some sort of clip on thing like a docking station mounted in the dash so you could take the ipad out if you dont want to synchronise songs while sitting in the car middle of the night and most importantly to keep the junkies away.

Name
    Waqas
    Last Online
    18-08-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

Quote Originally Posted by lathiat View Post
    youtube sound man car audio theyve done this alot for a long time.
    new to me though and i am quiet impressed as i never liked the sunglasses holder and had many sleepless nights thinking of what to do in that space.

Name
    Waqas
    Last Online
    18-08-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

Quote Originally Posted by menno3x8g View Post
    Nice job. Was looking for this to connect Evoscan. Should get external antenna for radio and GPS. Is this possible?
    doubt it with ipad was not designed to be used as an indoor sat nav or something but hopefully some expert will soon shed some light here as im curious to know aswel.

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

Gps can be done with usb as for radio arnt they a digital now ovr intrnet? ?????

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by exevoowner View Post
    Gps can be done with usb as for radio arnt they a digital now ovr intrnet? ?????
    Internet radio would be extremely unreliably on the move, and use data. You would need a DAB aerial to get digital radio over the airwaves instead.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

Lol its cause i use a galaxy note in car instead of all the audio and does all sat nav radio media player and a speed dashboard lol just brought a adaptor to plug into screen in the car just need to work out how to get the touch function to work or i change the screen to a hdmi one which would mean it would act the same as phone screen lol

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm so glad you cleared that up

Name
    Jason
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    PFL Legnum Man
    My Garage
    Visit

I'm toying with doing this with my VXR8, the E1 (2007-2009 VXR8) has a pretty crappy proprietary head unit that has all the HVAC controls built in. I can't just remove it because it's all connected over CANBUS (a network between ECUs for cars typically built in the last 10 years), otherwise it immobilises the car. On top of that, there's no mounting kit for your typical single or double DIN head units. I'm gonna have to knock up a micro-controller circuit to "fake" the existing head units presence if I do this, not to mention work out how I'm gonna replace the HVAC controls. I'm thinking maybe write an app that runs on my ipad. But I digress.

Just a note on Internet streaming, it can be fairly stable if the following conditions are met;

a). You're not on O2, their network is poop
    b). You've got a decent data package, you WILL chew through GBs of data, in the last 30 days I've used close to 3GB just listening to Spotify (with most of the files cached)
    c). You're in a well populated area, such as a town / city centre, which normally has decent speeds for mobile broadband, the sticks tend to have crappy backbones, sometimes you might only get 2G or no signal at all
    d). You're not doing more than 40-50 MPH (i.e. on a motorway), travelling at speed means constantly switching between cellular transceivers, which totally messes with streaming connections / downloads

So to summarise, if you're stuck in traffic in a town / city centre, it's perfect. Forget it for long distance trips
    Have questions about performance upgrades and ECU tuning? Before PM'ing me, Check this thread first
    Please support CVR4 & become a Full member, you get a full years access to guides, games, chat & much more!

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

lol you crack me up jase mine works fine at 80 through the lane were i live

Name
    Greg
    Last Online
    27-06-2017
    Country
    Other

Wow! That is a sweet idea...I think I need to experiment with something like this...

Name
    Waqas
    Last Online
    18-08-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Galant 2.5 V6

Quote Originally Posted by foxdie View Post
    I'm toying with doing this with my VXR8, the E1 (2007-2009 VXR8) has a pretty crappy proprietary head unit that has all the HVAC controls built in. I can't just remove it because it's all connected over CANBUS (a network between ECUs for cars typically built in the last 10 years), otherwise it immobilises the car. On top of that, there's no mounting kit for your typical single or double DIN head units. I'm gonna have to knock up a micro-controller circuit to "fake" the existing head units presence if I do this, not to mention work out how I'm gonna replace the HVAC controls. I'm thinking maybe write an app that runs on my ipad. But I digress.

Just a note on Internet streaming, it can be fairly stable if the following conditions are met;

a). You're not on O2, their network is poop
    b). You've got a decent data package, you WILL chew through GBs of data, in the last 30 days I've used close to 3GB just listening to Spotify (with most of the files cached)
    c). You're in a well populated area, such as a town / city centre, which normally has decent speeds for mobile broadband, the sticks tend to have crappy backbones, sometimes you might only get 2G or no signal at all
    d). You're not doing more than 40-50 MPH (i.e. on a motorway), travelling at speed means constantly switching between cellular transceivers, which totally messes with streaming connections / downloads

So to summarise, if you're stuck in traffic in a town / city centre, it's perfect. Forget it for long distance trips
    so definately a no to me on that end as i live in a farm and no houses within 8 miles radius. i feel lucky if i get 2 bars in my fone once in a blue moon. whats the deal with DAB as someone mentioned earlier that might solve the issue as radio is the issue i might not be using any internet while on the go.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

DAB is digital radio over the airwaves, in much the same way that FM/MW/LW is analogue radio over the airwaves. It's like Freeview, but for the radio!

You would need a DAB head unit, or you can get a separate DAB radio unit and connect it to your stereo, either by cable (USB/phono/etc.), or wirelessly (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, FM output).

Name
    Terry
    Last Online
    06-02-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2003 Blue rx8

ipad mini or nexus 7 install is the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqSd8YRBtyU << nexus 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUlNZkgNG-s << iPad mini
    Last edited by Oggie; 22-11-2012 at 01:56 AM.

day dreaming of 13b's , huge ports and suicide doors, and a few other things too I cant say here.

Name
    gary
    Last Online
    21-04-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    1997 legnum vr4

The biggest problem with this is the speed at which apple release new products and make the old ones outdated and useless means you'll be needing to change the ipad every couple of years!

Looks very cool though!

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

Thats why i went with using my phone rather than a ipad it means i can update as n when i need to all i used was a vga adaptor to connect to my in car screen and the radio functionn works fine at any speed aswell as sat nav,loaded films and music lol

Name
    Terry
    Last Online
    06-02-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2003 Blue rx8

Quote Originally Posted by exevoowner View Post
    Thats why i went with using my phone rather than a ipad it means i can update as n when i need to all i used was a vga adaptor to connect to my in car screen and the radio functionn works fine at any speed aswell as sat nav,loaded films and music lol
    once I have the spare dollars I am upgrading my Nexus 7 to one that is 3g make my life far easier for a custom install. will give the old one away.