Chris
    Last Online
    26-04-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4 COTY

Had my 1st issue!!!!!!!

Well, had my 1st issue with the old girl today, wondering if any of you guys have had a similar experience.

Had to go to Halfords (for my sins) this morning to get some bits and bobs, started up and drove down there with no issues. Got my bits and then jumped back into the car and she started up fine, went to pull off and she cut out. Tried restarting and she did with no problems but then went to pull off again, died again, right in the middle of the 1 way system of the car park (embaressement central), tried a few more times with exactly the same results, would tick over but if I tried to rev up, she died again. Managed to finally get her in to a parking space and after several (about 20) times of coughing & spluttering she finally roared back into life as she should do and managed to get home without any more incidents.

The car has only done 2000kms this year and when I picked her up she had no fuel so put £20 in to get me home so the fuel is fresh, I'm getting no engine management light coming on but my 1st port of call is gonna be changing the fuel filter and checking the connections on the fuel pump.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated, please bear in mind it's a £500 car which has had little or no TLC for a number of years.

And on a brighter note, found out today she's got coilovers all round......................result!

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    Other
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by kiff View Post
    well, had my 1st issue with the old girl today, wondering if any of you guys have had a similar experience.

Had to go to halfords (for my sins) this morning to get some bits and bobs, started up and drove down there with no issues. Got my bits and then jumped back into the car and she started up fine, went to pull off and she cut out. Tried restarting and she did with no problems but then went to pull off again, died again, right in the middle of the 1 way system of the car park (embaressement central), tried a few more times with exactly the same results, would tick over but if i tried to rev up, she died again. Managed to finally get her in to a parking space and after several (about 20) times of coughing & spluttering she finally roared back into life as she should do and managed to get home without any more incidents.

The car has only done 2000kms this year and when i picked her up she had no fuel so put £20 in to get me home so the fuel is fresh, i'm getting no engine management light coming on but my 1st port of call is gonna be changing the fuel filter and checking the connections on the fuel pump.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated, please bear in mind it's a £500 car which has had little or no tlc for a number of years.

And on a brighter note, found out today she's got coilovers all round......................result!
    maf?

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    26-02-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4-S

As steve said probably maf...

But
    Did you boot her on way to Halfords?
    Might be an idea to disconect the batt for 10 mins, then start her up again leave her to rev away with all aircon and everything else on as well...
    I tend to get that in the summer after a hot run.

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

I am also thinking MAF. Next time it does it, unplug the MAF and see how it runs
    To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-04-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4 COTY

Quote Originally Posted by andyleaves View Post
    As steve said probably maf...

But
    Did you boot her on way to Halfords?
    Might be an idea to disconect the batt for 10 mins, then start her up again leave her to rev away with all aircon and everything else on as well...
    I tend to get that in the summer after a hot run.
    Noooo, never boot a car when it's cold, learnt from mistakes

Will try disconnecting the battery, thanks guys

Name
    dave
    Last Online
    18-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    350z/Espace

maf maf and maf again , unplug it and the car will run very rich with alot of smoke but should run without cutting out, plug it in and will run but as soon as you put the revs up it will drop and cut out but there will be normal smoke as not running rich . get a spare maf from a breaker and swap it over if this happens , its quite common for the maf to fail or play up untill it does fail . if this is your only fault with a £500 vr4 your laughing ,
    Home Audio / Visual and CB HERE

To contact CLUBVR-4 committee or moderation staff click HERE

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-04-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4 COTY

Thanks again guys

Got to say it is a pleasure to be on a forum where people actually give you advice and help rather than ridicule

Name
    menno
    Last Online
    21-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum VR4S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    Well, had my 1st issue with the old girl today, wondering if any of you guys have had a similar experience.

Had to go to Halfords (for my sins) this morning to get some bits and bobs ...
    maybe you forgot your bobs ...
    car got angry ...
    et voila!
    (sorry )

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I would go down the maf route as well.

Where about are you based in the uk.
    Maybe there is someone local that you can swap maf with to diagnose the issue. Then you will know for definite if it is he maf. Also maybe the maf mod has been done, but not very well, the screw bit in the bottom of the maf might have completely dropped out.

It could also be a sticking idle control valve, in the bottom of the throttle body.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    29-11-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Trigger VR4 Leg

I don't know if anyone has suggested it, but have you tried the MAF...

I've had exactly these issues a) when I forgot to plug the MAF in b) when I replaced the MAF because I thought mine was faulty, with a really faulty one.
    Believed to be the only PFL Legnum parked on my drive unless you know otherwise.
    : Hardwired Walbro 255 : FSE FPR : Denso IK22s : 600x300x100 FMIC : 3" Fujitsubo exhaust : 3" decat : K&N Panel : R-Spec dump valve : Cusco ARBs : Braided Brake Lines :
    : Momo Steering Wheel : Tein Coilovers : Evo 8 SAYC : 17" J9 Advans : Phormula KS-4 : TurboSmart EBC : 19PSI : Full suite of Stri X-Line gauges : LC-1 Wideband : Asus Eee 4g running EvoScan :

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    ... rather than ridicule ...
    Pretty sure we can do that too, you numpty!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-04-2014
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4 COTY

Quote Originally Posted by elnevio View Post
    Pretty sure we can do that too, you numpty!
    Thanks.............feel better now

Name
    rob
    Last Online
    09-01-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    2x super vr4's

if you wanna try the MAF swap then we can sort this out and you can know, hell your in our neck of the woods