Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's happened to the fun in Club vr4?

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

I think the issue with joke threads is they seem to get out of hand & getting closed down after warnings from mods. I'm not exactly pc & you will do well to get my goat by taking the mick or with a joke but some people did end up going overboard for a public forum using jokes more suited to sickipedia
    Possibly the only VR4 that was driven by the current owner before being registered..... & it's a UK car

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
    I think the issue with joke threads is they seem to get out of hand & getting closed down after warnings from mods. I'm not exactly pc & you will do well to get my goat by taking the mick or with a joke but some people did end up going overboard for a public forum using jokes more suited to sickipedia

OI !!

I resemble that remark

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

So it's your fault then is it

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    09-06-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4/tdi passat

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-vr-4ish View Post
    OK chaps this has just been an observation by myself!

This is in no way aimed at any member or person's on this club

In recent months the fun has disappeared from these walls & I feel it needs to be brought back

There's hardly any friendly banter any more

Members are just taking most if not all things seriously

Yes I know this is a car forum but guys what has happened to the fun that used to be on here??

OK we all get on with things & maybe the club has grown up who knows but the fun is missing

Has anyone got any ideas for the fun to return please?

If your not sure what I mean take a look back at some of the funny threads around the end of last year beginning of this one!

Finally if I'm talking drivel then I apologies but I personally don't think I am the only one who thinks this?
    I agree Steve - I would have thought you were a right mardy barsteward if I hadn't met you at Nutter's yard and realised what you were like ...........pause while Steve ponders what I mean by this................

in all seriousness though, I often don't post because I'm not sure how people will take it, and when I do it doesn't always get the reaction I was hoping for. An example of this was a recent post I put up about a mental turbo'd tractor. All it got as a reply was a link to when it had been posted previously which really annoyed me and left me thinking that I won't bother in future. Another issue is the old 'use the search function' reply when a new member asks a question. Aren't we supposed to be a club of like-minded people who are there to help each other when stuck? By all means point people in the right direction but if helping new people to find out what they are looking for is such a chore then why bother being a forum member at all? I don't want to moan on but people's perception of the club is what informs their decisions about whether to attend meets or not.

Meets are the answer though - I've met some really interesting people and made some good friends through this club - all through face to face meetings.

I'd love to RR my car again but could it be arranged for at least a month away from the 10th thingy so it defo won't have to come out of the same pay check?
    Never argue with a fool – they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    09-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 - S

I agree with Tim. I joined at a similar time and have always had the impression that it is a club where a small number of long term members have a chat and a laugh together. The 'search is your friend' response is damned annoying as the search facility isn't that good and the response gives the impression you are annoying the 'seasoned' members.
    I don't go to meetings, although I have met Nutter John and Prezza and found them to be very helpful and pleasant. I have answered questions people have asked but some have been ignored, the asker preferring to respond to one of the aformentioned seasoned members.

So, I'm sure you are all good guys (and gals) but some posts seem to indicate some members would prefer it to be a private club.

Just my impressions for what they are worth.
    Too much is just enough.

Name
    Atik
    Last Online
    06-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    RVR HSGR

Quote Originally Posted by VR457 View Post
    Then there is the fact that some of us find it hard to be funny.....
    Unless you are at someone's house in the kitchen discussing the most randomest topics known to man! Eh Jamil? What was that word you 'taught' us about enjoying being naughty in a non-penetrative way??

For me, I think the forums have lost a number of 'regular' names who brought in all sorts of humour and enlightenment and even a bit of drama. To name a couple of names, NJ has disappeared (for reasons), @foxdie has gone and got himself a Vectra Sport (he will punch me into next week when he sees that comment), and loads more have either moved on with cars and life that the VR4 scene has just dissolved a little. The cars have become WAY too cheap to buy and we are finding loads of people buying and selling up quickly, asking the same questions that have been answered many times previously.

That said, there is still a great number of regulars on here who I think are just having to go through the process of life in general. With the last couple of months everyone is on alert with Xmas looming so nobody has the cash to spend on the cars which takes their personal focus from the cars and onto real life. Now the holiday season is over, I am sure people will start to regain their interests in the cars, and look to prepping the cars for the summer season. I know I have tons to try to get completed for the 10th party!

I agree with a more local meets to raise interest again, and am happy to host a mini-meet at mine (quiet street with plenty of space). And would definitely be up for a Eurospec meet as I havent had the new car dyno'd yet.
    1997 Mitsubishi RVR HSGR : 2.0 4G63T, 4 seats and the seating position from a truck
    2009 Ford Mondeo : 2.2TDCi, 4 wheels, some plastics, some metal and some seats
    Former owner of The Mongrel (RIP 2011) and The Rednum (RIP 2014)

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Quote Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
    we did actually talk about you and even tried to get in contact with you via you dad (who didnt answer the phone btw) so there. we had a small issue with nevs engine mount that very nearly saw me giving him a lift to swindon . got solved in the end ( i think anyway as got i bored and hungry and went to mcdonalds )
    Well if that was the weekend before Christmas, I was with my new friends anyway coz thats the weekend I was down with Mark4 and Gareth (Gowf) doing my engine swap. So there Only time I eat macdonalds is when im bored lol. Probably why I have put on 15kg in weight recently haha.

i live in colchester which as you know is a very large garrison town, because of this i actually hate you lot as all you do is get pi$$ed up and try and lay the fat girls with a tattoo on her boob , if that fails you then pick a fight with a smaller group of civilians to try and exert you manness
    Haha I would love to have a comeback for that but I am guilty as charged!! Although if you can get a fat bird with tatts on her face or the one who gets in more fights than you do then you win free drinks the next time you go out

then go back to the barracks congratulating each other and then showing your d!cks .

harsh but true
    Aha yes but you see Colly isnt just a garrison town its an 'airborne' town. That sh!t is purely for them!! The thing is they actually see nothing wrong with it!! Now I have quite few good friends that are airborne but there's just some things you just shouldnt share haha

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    10-04-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    COTY

To the few dutch guys we have, I'm not sure which side of Holland your on but im a regular attendee of the heaven on wheels tuning day, I've been the past 4 years, I doubt many members from here would be interested but if your not far from Anderlecht, I'll be there :-)

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by ex-derv View Post
    An example of this was a recent post I put up about a mental turbo'd tractor. All it got as a reply was a link to when it had been posted previously which really annoyed me and left me thinking that I won't bother in future. Another issue is the old 'use the search function' reply when a new member asks a question.
    Sorry - I think the tractor linky reply was me? I didn't mean it in a belittling way - I figured many would have seen the other thread as it was only a month or so old, so I thought you'd get no replies. I thought the link would simply let you know why your thread might not get many/any comments. Don't let it stop you from posting, especially in the jokes section!

Also, I try wherever possible to include a link to old or repeated questions so that people can see an answer. Often, I think I am able to remember useful search criteria that others may not think to use, simply because I have been here for so long I often remember who posted the subject previously, or how someone worded a sentence, or a silly phrase that was used. The "seach ya lazy bugger" sentence was identified several years ago as a source of bad feeling, so I try to be more helpful than that now. I'd say it is used a lot less now than it was 2-3 years ago.

I am going to try and have a word with Ben at Eurospec this week to see if we can arrange a rolling road day. I would like it to be 2 pay cheques away from the 10th do if possible - part of the idea behind a meet is to drum up a bit more support for the 10th meet!

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    10-04-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    COTY

I think I've sorted a way to temporarily raise my car, by placing a lump of 4*2 on top of the upper arm and dropping it down it raises the car by 2" not sure how safe this is, and have never done it on all 4 corners, but if it works I too will be able to dyno my car :-)

Due to a recent emergency and by someone's lack of checking we discovered this does work on one corner at a time! Lol

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

Crazydriver if you can arrange a flight to east mids airport im about 10mins from there
    Half the trouble is fuel prices we need to compain shell for a discount pmsl

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

Ha ha link works for bout 3s

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    09-06-2014
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4/tdi passat

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    Sorry - I think the tractor linky reply was me? I didn't mean it in a belittling way - I figured many would have seen the other thread as it was only a month or so old, so I thought you'd get no replies. I thought the link would simply let you know why your thread might not get many/any comments. Don't let it stop you from posting, especially in the jokes section!

Also, I try wherever possible to include a link to old or repeated questions so that people can see an answer. Often, I think I am able to remember useful search criteria that others may not think to use, simply because I have been here for so long I often remember who posted the subject previously, or how someone worded a sentence, or a silly phrase that was used. The "seach ya lazy bugger" sentence was identified several years ago as a source of bad feeling, so I try to be more helpful than that now. I'd say it is used a lot less now than it was 2-3 years ago.

I am going to try and have a word with Ben at Eurospec this week to see if we can arrange a rolling road day. I would like it to be 2 pay cheques away from the 10th do if possible - part of the idea behind a meet is to drum up a bit more support for the 10th meet!
    appreciated Nick, and to be fair repeated posts are a bit of a waste of time, I just found it a bit curt. The point I'm making really is that it's meeting people face to face that means these things aren't taken in the wrong way - bit like text messages being taken the wrong way but if you know someone then it's less likely to happen. In fact, this thread has swung my decision about whether to attend the 10th meet or not - time to put my money where my mouth is - I'm in. Kryton, bring your gas mask! (and not the gimp one, one that actually works)

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by kriklis View Post
    Yes, that's definitely having fun in a VR-4!

Did well to keep the steering off full lock, as that is a sure-fire PS pump killer!!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    11-06-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Im up for a RR as Adam mentioned before good oportunity to get know each other.
    Ive been with the club only about 6 months but managed to meet some members face to face and always had good chat
    and thanks to John Nutter nice cup of coffee :-)

Name
    Janis
    Last Online
    18-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    galant vr4

Name
    John
    Last Online
    21-03-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum

Quote Originally Posted by fassi1 View Post
    Im up for a RR as Adam mentioned before good oportunity to get know each other.
    Ive been with the club only about 6 months but managed to meet some members face to face and always had good chat
    and thanks to John Nutter nice cup of coffee :-)
    You think Nutter's coffee is nice? Oh dear.
    Proverbs 20:29

Name
    dave
    Last Online
    18-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    350z/Espace

Quote Originally Posted by John TheAntique View Post
    coffee..... is that what you call it ?
    Home Audio / Visual and CB HERE

To contact CLUBVR-4 committee or moderation staff click HERE

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    11-06-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by John TheAntique View Post
    I was only trying to bring fun back to the club.
    But we can give him a chance to improve his coffee and have mini meet at Nutter's :-)
    if he doesn't mind.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast