Last Online
    21-04-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    1997 legnum vr4

a couple of new additions!

This is the Turbosmart MBC I fitted a few days ago;

An I got round to fitting a boost gauge, I didn't want it in my face all the time, I wanted it somewhere subtle and out of the way but still visible so I put it here;

and switched on;

I don't know what I was boosting at where I had the boost controller set before as I wound it back out to stock boost when I fitted the gauge, I am getting 8psi holding a steady 7psi as stock which is a couple higher than a stock pre-facelift auto, I am guessing that is the exhaust at work? (Full turbo-back with decat) I am heading out tonight to do some 3rd gear runs and I am going to set it to around 12psi or as close to.

I have also ordered a bigger intercooler, I have seen folks fitting the fairly commonly sized 600x300x75 without issue, but I wanted one that could be fitted almost as bolt on direct fit with now other mods so mine is a 600x250x75. I am hoping this will fit just under the crash bar so won't need modding. I doubt i'll notice the missing 50mm height!

Name
    Marc
    Last Online
    05-09-2019
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Saab 9-3 TurboX

Nice, - I like where you've placed the boost gauge

Name
    gary
    Last Online
    21-04-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    1997 legnum vr4

Cheers dude. You can see it very easily but its not in your face like it would be on a pillar mount or dash pod. I mean lets face it, once you've seen the numbers its done its job and you hardly need it after that!

Name
    dave
    Last Online
    18-06-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    350z/Espace

i agree , i hate boost gauges . i had mine in the coin tray near your right knee as when i needed to look at it through reference i would open it up and have a look ,99.9% of the time leave it be .

looks good
    Home Audio / Visual and CB HERE

To contact CLUBVR-4 committee or moderation staff click HERE

Name
    gary
    Last Online
    21-04-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    1997 legnum vr4

Holy Cow!!! I had forgotten to reconnect that grey plug near the boost controller after I had fitted it, thought nothing more of it and took the car out for a spin, I had turned the mbc up a few clicks as a start and got the shock of my life! it goes like a mother trucker!!!! it pulls so hard no when on boost. It makes 13psi by 3000rpm and is still holding 11 at the red line.

the car has become an absoloute brute with just a simple boost increase! so that pesky ep3 type r that i couldn't quite shake is soooooo going down next time I see him!!

Oh yeah, did the required 0-60 time, 2 each way as usual, a shocking 60ft time of 3.38s as I didn't want to push it and it still hit 60mph in 5.56 average!! one run where I did a 3.0s 60ft I managed a 5 second flat! I discounted it as I couldn't repeat it though!

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

It's great when a car can make you smile.

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    gary
    Last Online
    21-04-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    1997 legnum vr4

Oh it made me smile alright! What is that grey plug that left off? Its way quicker than it was before, and I had the boost controller turned up a few clicks higher than it is now!

Name
    gary
    Last Online
    21-04-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    1997 legnum vr4

I got round to fitting the intercooler I bought a few weeks ago, not got it totally finished as my car currently is ready to accept its new discs and pads tomorrow so looks like this;

I am really glad I went for the 550x250 size as it fits perfectly with just the top 20mm or so sitting behind the crash bar. No crash bar modding required at all! As you can see from this picture the outlets on the new fmic are a very close match to the origional pipework! All I had to do was shorten the inlet side hose and on it went!

and here it is all nipped up and connected. I still need to make a couple of brackets to secure it even though in all honesty I think I could drive it without!!

Anybody got any suggestions as to how to mount the aft cooler? It won't go behind as it presses and bends the fins on the intercooler, and it won't quite reach round to mount back where it was as the new fmic is deeper and wider than the old one.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Looks good!
    Sorry, no suggestions for the cooler-pipe. It's from the power steering by the way.
    Maybe reverse the inlet/outlet hardpipe piece on the rubber pieces and mount it behind the FMIC?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Go to a plumbers merchants and get a few meters of 10mm copper pipe. Easily bendable (though don't kink it!) and you can fit it exactly where you want to. Perfect power steering cooler!

Name
    gary
    Last Online
    21-04-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    1997 legnum vr4

How are they connected to the rubber pipes?

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Those typical jap/mitsi clamps that actually work really well, although can sometime be a pain to get on/off. If I remember correclty the powersterring hard pipe has a ridge at the ends. I think this can be made/done on copper too, maybe go all plumber-y andsimply clamping a 10mm copper/bronze compression ring on the pipe?!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

It slides in with a good tight fit so just use a couple of small jubilee clips to hold it firm.

Name
    gary
    Last Online
    21-04-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    1997 legnum vr4

Well it didnt go quite according to plan! My toolkit is all over the place after we moved and I couldnt find the correct socket to remove the rear calipers and carrier so the rear brakes are not done. Plenty on the bads its just the discs are little warped so judder.

The intercooler is fitted ghetto! I needed the car working today so havent made brackets to hold in place so tywraps are doing the job right now! I still also need to do something about the PAS cooler as at the moment it is wedged between the rear of the bumper and the front of the new intercooler!

No idea if it all works yet but will find out this evening!

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    07-10-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2009 Evo X

You can get a N/A power steering cooler and fit that instead. It mounts behind the intercooler and doesn't rub.

Name
    Adrian
    Last Online
    07-10-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    2009 Evo X

I knew there was a thread on it somewhere on here....
    and here it is!
    http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...teering+cooler

Name
    gary
    Last Online
    21-04-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    1997 legnum vr4

That n/a cooler seems like a good idea. Not too sure well i'll be able to bend 10mm copper pipe with hands without kinking it. Tywraps will do for now though!

Name
    gary
    Last Online
    21-04-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    1997 legnum vr4

Well i took it out for a blat tonight and it definately feels perkier above 5000rpm. I actually hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd as it doesnt seem to run out of puff like it did before. I cant run any higher boost than 13psi though. I went 1 more click out on the MBC and by the time my boost gauge had counted 12psi (its digital and counts once a second) I had hit fuel cut like a wall. I am very chuffed though as all this performance has come from a 30 quid boost controller and a 70 quid ebay intercooler held on with tywraps!

Of course the £1100 turbo back decat exhaust system is no doubt helping a lot now!