Alexander
    Last Online
    31-07-2019
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant 2,5 V6

v6 brake upgrade

Hi guys I have read most of the topics about brake conversion and there are a lot May be i am stupid but I still haven't find an answer to my question. I have a FL V6 and I want to upgrade the brakes with FL VR4 brakes. Is there a difference between the calipers of the Fl V6 and FL VR4 or just the discs are bigger in the VR4. So is it enough to by VR4 discs and just drill a four stud pattern 4x114,3
    Cheers

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

if both cars are facelift it is a straight bolt on job. You can measure the mounting bolt distance at your front caliper to be 100% sure. It is either 130mm (PFL) or 160mm (FL).

But why do only half the job? Go and get the rears converted as well! The rears are identical on PFL and FL and a straight bolt on. And of course swap to 5 bolt hubs at this occassion. So you'll have no issues with brake discs as well.
    the one and only...Pearl White Legnum 25 ST-R...registered in Germany - now featuring a 6A13TT engine (unless you know otherwise)

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Some V6's use the same caliper as the VR4 but I think that the caliper carrier is different to cope with a different sized disc.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

So the disks are bigger if Facelift and the callipers may be bigger but might be the same? How do you tell if they are different without comparing part numbers (visible differences)?
    Possibly the only VR4 that was driven by the current owner before being registered..... & it's a UK car

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    31-07-2019
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant 2,5 V6

After some investigation I found out that my calipers are the single piston ones from the FL model V6. So they are not the same as the double piston calipers in the FL VR4. i have a question do you have an opinion if single or double piston calipers are better, because Mitsubishi Motors decided to put single piston in the FL model V6 after 2001 which is a bit strange. Why put single piston if it is worse than the double piston one? And i have one other question can I fit the 294 discs of the vr4 after re-drilling the 5 stud pattern to 4 stud?
    Thank you for the answers
    Alex

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Alex, why they have put single piston calipers on the car, I cannot answer. Mainly because of cost aspects, I'd assume.

Here is some basic info about brake disc diameters:
    VR-4 / Evo 4 without Brembo - double piston calipers / 160mm mounting bolt distance / 5 stud / 294mm vented brake disc (front)
    - single piston calipers / 130mm mounting bolt distance / 5 stud / 282mm vented brake disc (rear)

8G Galant non turbo (PFL) - double piston calipers or single piston calipers / 130mm mounting bolt distance / 4 stud / 256mm or 276mm vented brake disc (front)
    - single piston calipers / 130mm mounting bolt distance / 4 stud / 260mm solid brake disc (rear)

8G Galant non turbo (FL) - single piston calipers / 160mm mounting bolt distance / 4 stud / 276mm vented brake disc (front)
    - single piston calipers / 130mm mounting bolt distance / 4 stud / 260mm solid brake disc (rear)

Basically - you cannot fit VR-4 brake discs without the calipers. Plus I am not a friend of "re-drilling" brake discs.

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    31-07-2019
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant 2,5 V6

Unhappy

Thanks for the info Stefan. It is really helpful. I am still wondering if I want to do the conversion or just by some decent discs and calipers. I decided to do the conversion in first place because my EBC 276 GD brake discs make vibrations in the brake pedal after just 6000km. So I need something bigger maybe
    Cheers Alex

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I put carriers, calipers and discs from a VR-4 onto a V6

IMG_8955.JPG IMG_8934.JPG IMG_8966.JPG IMG_8956.JPG IMG_8970.JPG IMG_8983.JPG IMG_8984.JPG

Made a fantastic difference, even with just standard cheap OEM-spec pads.

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

correct Garry - it makes a difference. But if you keep in mind, that the brake pads from a VR-4 will fit the V6 twin piston calipers, I'd say that the brake diameter is not the difference. The difference comes from the brake calipers and the number of pistons.
    @wonderwalker - As you have FL car, you will not have another chance, as to swap to FL VR-4 calipers if you want to have the twin piston setup. For a PFL it would be easier indeed. :-/

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by crazydriver81 View Post
    correct Garry - it makes a difference. But if you keep in mind, that the brake pads from a VR-4 will fit the V6 twin piston calipers, I'd say that the brake diameter is not the difference. The difference comes from the brake calipers and the number of pistons.
    The diameter of the disk makes a big difference. The principle of leverage means that the further away from the hub you are clamping, the less effort is required to produce the same braking torque to the hub.

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    31-07-2019
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant 2,5 V6

Fantastic job there Garry. Did you have any problems at all with the re-drilling of the disks ? Are there any danger driving with re-drilled discs? You changed the carriers because your V6 was PFL right?
    Last edited by wonderwalker; 06-02-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

you need to use the vr4 calipers aswell, as the brake carrier part is spaced further from the hub to allow for the larger disks,

you cannot just redrill the rotor and use the orginal brake caliper. (unless its twin pot and you change to the vr4 caliper carrier)

you also have to use the correct vr4 brakes, (or brake carrier)
    Dependant on if your car is a facelift or prefacelift as the HUB carrier bolt distance changes for the brakes.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Why not change the hubs to 5 stud? Buy hubs in the USA and it doesn't cost too much. Then any evo (5 to 9) set up will fit which gives you endless options.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I used the complete front brake setup from a VR-4 - carriers, calipers, discs, pads.

In the thousands of miles I did in the car it didn't have any issues.

On the VR4 disc, we used one of the existing 5 stud holes, opened up an existing small hole opposite, and then drilled two new holes. This is only the hub face, and it's clamped by the wheel as well as being held in the right place by the hub - you can see that we put the two discs together - once we'd opened the existing hole, we put two bolts through to clamp them to ensure that the new holes were in the right place.

I certainly would do it again - hell, in fact, for my Anglia I will be drilling 4 new holes in a 200SX rear brake disc to change the PCD from 4x114.3 to 4x108 and am not having a second thought about doing so.

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    31-07-2019
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant 2,5 V6

So now that I have a full set of carriers and calipers thanks to Kryton I will be needing vr4 discs, front and rear. Would you be so kind to enlighten me where can I buy decent discs. Is this offer for CRN products still available?
    Cheers

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

Thanks for confirming they arrived safe & sound. After clarification, Alex paid straight away & no issues so have some rep & peace of mind for anyone else that wants to deal

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Alex, good to hear that you are planning to convert to a VR-4 setup.

Brake discs can be found at Camskill (http://www.camskill.co.uk/m22b0s1395...Brakes_-_Discs)

Name
    Alexander
    Last Online
    31-07-2019
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant 2,5 V6

Thanks for the kind words guys. Camskill it is then. Their offers seem pretty reasonable. I hope that they are O.K concerning quality. Have anyone tried them, any opinions?
    Cheers

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

Yep, loads of people on here use them fairly frequently. Decent company to deal with & decent parts

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

The CRN deals are almost certainly still available!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast