Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

If you're lucky.. it'll turn into an LSD diff.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Driving it will be fine, but every time you hear the noise, the wear is getting worse. If you don't activate the AYC (i.e. taking it steady), nothing will deteriorate.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

As nev said the clutch packs are only use when the AYC is active, e.g. when you have 1 -3 green AYC bars on the dash flashing up.

My first VR4 rear diff made this grinding noise at one point and i just changed the oil in the clutch pack side of the diff and the noise went away and the diff/AYC work perfectly after that.

however once i got the info/fix for the grinding noise, i changed the oil the next day, my diff only made the grinding noise twice i think, so if you have been running with the grinding for long periods then the oil change might not fix it.
    just change the oil as soon as possible you need less than 1L of a SPIII compliant ATF.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

It's not as simple as just changing the oil. You need to actuate the solenoid in the correct manner to get ALL of the old oil out. Unless you have the gear needed to do this, you're better off getting a mitsi dealer to do it.

Name
    kharlos
    Last Online
    06-05-2014
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 vr4 galant

thanks for all the info guys think i might just bite the bullet and take it to mitsi dealer for them to look into it and fix the problem sounds like be easier thing to do ...

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    As nev said the clutch packs are only use when the AYC is active, e.g. when you have 1 -3 green AYC bars on the dash flashing up.

My first VR4 rear diff made this grinding noise at one point and i just changed the oil in the clutch pack side of the diff and the noise went away and the diff/AYC work perfectly after that.

however once i got the info/fix for the grinding noise, i changed the oil the next day, my diff only made the grinding noise twice i think, so if you have been running with the grinding for long periods then the oil change might not fix it.
    just change the oil as soon as possible you need less than 1L of a SPIII compliant ATF.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i agree with scott above yo will need to do a full service on the diff soon and that is not a straight forward thing changing the AYC pressure fluid in the AYC pump itself but that is a separate sytem to the clutch pack,
    but to get rid of the grinding noise you just need to do the clutch pack oil as soon as possible, or ensure you don't activate the AYC in any remotely hard cornering.
    you can do a full service on the rear diff and AYC system at a later date, the important bit for now is the clutch packs. and all you need for that is a socket set and big automotive syringe to put the new ATF back in the clutch pack fill hole.
    there is a guide in the library on how to do it.

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    04-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    98 Galant Vr4

I have a 98 Galant Tiptronic Vr4, I can not find a traction control switch, is it standard and where should it be located?

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by jiBYo View Post
    I have a 98 Galant Tiptronic Vr4, I can not find a traction control switch, is it standard and where should it be located?
    Facelift VR-4s did not come with traction control, so it isn't there to turn off! If you had it, the switch would be located on the small three-switch panel above the drivers right knee.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12