Bruce
    Last Online
    23-06-2015
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

Talking Removing Engine

Has anybody here removed a EC5W engine from their car before? I am looking to remove and rebuild min and want to know how difficult a job it was and also be made aware of any issues i should look for or might encounter.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

pretty straight forward. can be a bit of a mission the first time if you have little to no knowlage

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

As long as you don't rush, have decent kit, and do everything methodically, you should be fine!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Bruce
    Last Online
    23-06-2015
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

Thanks for the feedback guys, I have decent kit and have pulled other engines out before I just have never done a VR4 before. I think it will be a great learning curve in skill and patience for me I am thinking to just hire a engine hoist to get the lump out once I have all the kit off the top of the engine. I am a little concerned because it got loads of vaccume hoses but I was thinking to paint pen them in different colors and also take load of pics as i go and notes.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by pixelplay View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I have decent kit and have pulled other engines out before I just have never done a VR4 before. I think it will be a great learning curve in skill and patience for me I am thinking to just hire a engine hoist to get the lump out once I have all the kit off the top of the engine. I am a little concerned because it got loads of vaccume hoses but I was thinking to paint pen them in different colors and also take load of pics as i go and notes.
    all the vac lines are pretty self explanitory. but number them with paint pen if you want some extra piece of mind.
    I find it many many times easier to take the crossmember off and take the whole motor, trans and transfercase out the bottom of the car. then jack the car up and slide the combination out from under it. (dropping it onto a big ol rug or offcut of carpet and dragging it out with 2 or 3 people works a treat, the carpet stops the sump and underside of the motor gettn scratched up when your dragging it.
    its also much easier to get the starter, gearbox, transfer case and so on off the engine when its outside the car.

good luck

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Also when I take an engine out I take the air con compressor off the engine but leave it connected to the air con system. just tie it up out of the way and be sure not to snag it when lowering the engine. saves you having to re-gas the system when you re-install

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Findlay View Post
    all the vac lines are pretty self explanitory. but number them with paint pen if you want some extra piece of mind.
    I find it many many times easier to take the crossmember off and take the whole motor, trans and transfercase out the bottom of the car. then jack the car up and slide the combination out from under it. (dropping it onto a big ol rug or offcut of carpet and dragging it out with 2 or 3 people works a treat, the carpet stops the sump and underside of the motor gettn scratched up when your dragging it.
    its also much easier to get the starter, gearbox, transfer case and so on off the engine when its outside the car.

good luck
    +1 here
    That's the way we did engine removal with psbarham.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    Bruce
    Last Online
    23-06-2015
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

Cheers Adam,
    I was looking over the manual today and it looked like it would be so much more easy to get the engine out of the bottom of the car. Did you get the car up on axle jacks to do the job? I was wondering how to get enough clearance to get the beast out from the bottom. It does not help that i have no nice garage to work in and am doing it all in the driveway.

good luck

Name
    Bruce
    Last Online
    23-06-2015
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

Top tip, I would have done it the pig headed stupid way and then had to re-gas. Cheers for the tip A++

Also when I take an engine out I take the air con compressor off the engine but leave it connected to the air con system. just tie it up out of the way and be sure not to snag it when lowering the engine. saves you having to re-gas the system when you re-install

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Cheers Adam,
    I was looking over the manual today and it looked like it would be so much more easy to get the engine out of the bottom of the car. Did you get the car up on axle jacks to do the job? I was wondering how to get enough clearance to get the beast out from the bottom. It does not help that i have no nice garage to work in and am doing it all in the driveway.
    I usually do all the labour with the car on stands. then when the engine is on the floor grab the jack and jack it off the front subframe (now without engine or box in the car jacking from one side is enough to lift the whole front up no problem) just make sure the jack has a stable point on the subframe. then jack it high enough to slide the engine out from under the car. (out the wheel arch is good, means you dont have to jack the car quite as high). then once the engine has been slid out from under the car lower it back onto stands.

when lowering the engine be careful of the alternator, it can catch on the subframe.

Top tip, I would have done it the pig headed stupid way and then had to re-gas. Cheers for the tip A++
    no probelm! im a cheap bastard so I make sure I avoid having to regas my aircon every time I pull the motor out

rep is always welcome

Name
    Bruce
    Last Online
    23-06-2015
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    1997 Legnum VR4

It sounds like your motor has been out a few times I am lazy so was trying to avoid taking it out unless i really had to.

I usually do all the labour with the car on stands. then when the engine is on the floor grab the jack and jack it off the front subframe (now without engine or box in the car jacking from one side is enough to lift the whole front up no problem) just make sure the jack has a stable point on the subframe. then jack it high enough to slide the engine out from under the car. (out the wheel arch is good, means you dont have to jack the car quite as high). then once the engine has been slid out from under the car lower it back onto stands.

when lowering the engine be careful of the alternator, it can catch on the subframe.

no probelm! im a cheap bastard so I make sure I avoid having to regas my aircon every time I pull the motor out

rep is always welcome