'97 legnum MT

ideas?

1. wobbly steering/vibration at 2000 rpm and motorway cruising speeds
    new parts fitted to the front very recently
    both hubs/bearings
    both curved arms
    both track rods and ends
    both anti roll bar bushes
    nearside lateral arm (track control arm?)

i dont think the tracking was done after the lateral arm though but it was last week after the track rods and ends. i dont know how much that affects handling but i am losing patience with trying to get rid of the vibration. the wheels were all balanced and tyre pressures done before they went on the car about 8 weeks ago

2. not sure what to make of this but it could trace back to the shockingly bad job done last year when the rear diff was done or it may be something else. its got me stumped
    when parking and applying the handbrake on a slight incline the car does not stay put. it rolls back slightly and rests. also, pulling away seems to give a few inches of movement before the gears engages and i drive away. i just put petrol in the car and pulling away from the pump there seemed to be a tugging from the rear and when i parked at home i had a look at the rear nearside wheel. with the handbrake fully on i can rock the entire car forward and backwards using 2 hands on the alloy wheel. its not much but im pretty certain that there shouldnt be any movement at all and it isnt the brake shoes. there is a definate frictionless movement then it stops in both directions
    1998 2.0 GLS>1999 2.4 GDI>2001 2.5 sport>1997 VR4 + 2000 2.5 sport
    1997 legnum (manual)
    CUSCO rear strut brace
    BILSTEIN springs on uprated shocks
    3" S/S downpipes and exhaust
    induction kit
    EVO V RS transfer box
    EVO VIII brembos
    HEL brake lines
    V6 sport interior
    laser cut engine cover
    GRP EVO style bonnet
    18" inovite redlines
    HKS SSQV
    2003 Mazda 6 2.0 TS estate

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

ad 1, is your after market alloys have spigot rings fitted?
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Richie
    Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '97 legnum MT

no. they dont have them judging by the alloys i have had before with the tapered edge round the centre. the original problem was a creaking noise which turned out to be the lateral arm which the 3rd garage correctly identified. that problem is solved but the handling is still pretty wobbly. the steering wheel is quite far to the right now compared to before the lateral arm was replaced which was done on its own. the hubs and curved arms were done 2 weeks ago. the track rods, ends and ARB bushes were done a week later and the lateral arm was done this week

Name
    Richie
    Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '97 legnum MT

Quote Originally Posted by Scanny View Post

2. not sure what to make of this but it could trace back to the shockingly bad job done last year when the rear diff was done or it may be something else. its got me stumped
    when parking and applying the handbrake on a slight incline the car does not stay put. it rolls back slightly and rests. also, pulling away seems to give a few inches of movement before the gears engages and i drive away. i just put petrol in the car and pulling away from the pump there seemed to be a tugging from the rear and when i parked at home i had a look at the rear nearside wheel. with the handbrake fully on i can rock the entire car forward and backwards using 2 hands on the alloy wheel. its not much but im pretty certain that there shouldnt be any movement at all and it isnt the brake shoes. there is a definate frictionless movement then it stops in both directions
    i think the easiest way to describe this is similiar to leaving the car in gear and the handbrake off. you get a slight movement in each direction which stops and rolls back. it feels like that but in neutral with the handbrake on as far as i can pull it

Name
    Richie
    Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '97 legnum MT

another possibly important note. out of gear with the brakes off, the car will freewheel down a slope. i just happened to let the car roll back yesterday and it did as expected. for once!

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Re: 1.
    After replacing front suspension arms, wheel aligment should be done again. It affects tracking.
    Wobbling at particular speed rather indicate wheel being out of balance.

Re:2.
    Handbrakes are quite poorly on vr4. Don't expect any seriuos stopping force from them
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    Richie
    Last Online
    09-05-2015
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '97 legnum MT

i am having tyres swapped around tomorrow anyway so the wheels will be balanced again. i know the weights can fall off

i am wondering if this could be a handbrake problem since it only appears to happen when pulling away or stopping ie when the handbrake is applied or released. i remember the diff being every rotation so that hopefully rules that out along with transmission components. i still want it checked though but i think some AA cover should be the first thing i spend money on. sky cant cover me now that the car has reached school leaving age. strangely its £2 a year cheaper to cover me than the car itself

even stranger, the reg no isnt recognised on the RAC website and neither is a mitsubishi legnum even though i chose that on their drop down menus. they list a car they dont recognise but there is a 2.5 VR4 galant type V or S but 2 door? i dont know which one i have

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

my handbrake does that all the time rich its known as brake snatch,rac wont see the legnum as its import so you would need to ring them lol

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

My hand brake is the same.
    It is as if the shoes are locked on to the brake drum but the shoes Are not locked to the hub securely enough and the rock back and forth within the drum assembly.
    Or
    There is some play in the drive shafts, everything is locked up but as the shaft spiders on the inner cup are warn there is some slop in the interaction between the two parts.

I don't know I am just theorising.

Bye for Now!