Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by Badger_01 View Post
    That mivec motor looks buggered, probably because of how the rocker covers look lol.

You sir are a crazy man and I like that

Can't wait to see what crazy thing you come up with
    I bought the motor from a wreckers, so who knows how long its been sitting out in their yard. so its a bit corroded. but I didn't buy it to be a running motor. as I always intended to strip it down and just use it for the cylinder heads which are in good nick. but yeah the whole thing needs a good clean up!

Next up I need to bring a 6a13 block to the workshop and plonk the heads on then dummy fit all the cambelt idlers and tensioners to see what needs to be modified so the stock cambelt can be used.

Name
    Reece
    Last Online
    14-04-2022
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Manual Super

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Findlay View Post
    I bought the motor from a wreckers, so who knows how long its been sitting out in their yard. so its a bit corroded. but I didn't buy it to be a running motor. as I always intended to strip it down and just use it for the cylinder heads which are in good nick. but yeah the whole thing needs a good clean up!

Next up I need to bring a 6a13 block to the workshop and plonk the heads on then dummy fit all the cambelt idlers and tensioners to see what needs to be modified so the stock cambelt can be used.
    Cant wait to see the outcome
    Manual Super #143/283

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Findlay View Post
    The G4 Xtreme was the obvious chose as It has the ability to run sequential ignition and injection on up to 8 cylinder engines, has onboard knock control and has much more inputs and outputs compared to the cheaper Storm variant.
    I thought it was the G4+ Xtreme that added built in knock control. They made a big thing about not needing the Knock Block with the G4+ when they did the press release a few weeks ago.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by scott.mohekey View Post
    I thought it was the G4+ Xtreme that added built in knock control. They made a big thing about not needing the Knock Block with the G4+ when they did the press release a few weeks ago.
    Na all the old Xtremes have on board knock control. but it was improved upon with the G4+ and became a non standard feature (you need to pay link extra for a code to unlock the feature within the ECU) I think..
    best to watch this
    http://new.livestream.com/High-Perfo...agement-System

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

You're right about it being an add on feature in the G4+. That video is the one I was basing my information on. I could have sworn Ben said that you no longer need a Knock Block to do knock control, but I may have misheard.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

yeah my Xtreme can do knock control but its not as good as the knock control in the brand new G4+ ECUS

Name
    Aaron
    Last Online
    27-10-2023
    Country
    Japan
    Car
    2000 Galant VR4

Great to see your build all in one thread! Youre doing some amazing work.
    Daily driver / circuit car / drag car / show car / weekend cruiser / project car

Name
    Zal
    Last Online
    25-11-2017
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Evo V, WRX Wag

Gave you that hook cover ay haha don't even remember that. Good to see your still going strong with the car though.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    Great to see your build all in one thread! Youre doing some amazing work.
    Cheers. I had been updating bits and bobs all over the place but figured it was about time to compile it all into one thread, and now I have a place for all future updates for the motor build which fingers crossed will be fairly regular.

Quote Originally Posted by Zitchu View Post
    Gave you that hook cover ay haha don't even remember that. Good to see your still going strong with the car though.
    Yep although that tow hook cover has been busted up with the bumper it was moulded to when I had that crash described earlier in the thread. so had to pay for one this time around.
    and yeah far to deep into ****ing around with this one, no way I'd sell it.
    Ive seen your old galant has changed hands a few times now. also your avatar says you have done the dirty and shifted to OZ!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Got to pull my mivec motor apart today. results are as follows.

Here are some pics of the Mivec gear and how it is a seperate bolt on piece from the rest of the head.
    also shows the roller rockers and how they piviot of a shaft under the cam. and the small tappet adjusting screws.
    The heads are bloody dirty but don't worry, they will be getting a clean.
    Also a quick shot of the 10:1 CR pistons

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_165301.jpg
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_165356.jpg
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_165438.jpg
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_165452.jpg
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_165518.jpg
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_165556.jpg

Then on to comparisons!

First is the bottom of the heads, Mivec '12 ontop and the Turbo '13 on the bottom

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_165659.jpg

Then I laid the 6A12 Mivec head gasket on the bottom of a 6A13TT head. as you can see all of the head bolt holes, oil galleries and water galleries already line up!
    that makes things easier!

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_165729.jpg

The only issue is the 6A13 has a larger bore so the cylinder rings in the head gasket were fractionally too small. but this can be remidied by using 6A13TT head gaskets, Kind of hard to see but heres the picture

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_165756.jpg

Then onto the inlet ports. I layed a 6A12 inlet gasket overtop of a 6A13TT intake port. The 6A12 has taller but narrower ports compared to the 6A13

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_165955.jpg
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_170012.jpg

heads back to back 6A12 on the right, 6A13TT on the left

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_170132.jpg

Close ups of each port..
    6A13TT
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_170155.jpg

6A12
    http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_170201.jpg

Also my boss has quite a big turbo sitting in the workshop... for reference sake its sitting on top of a 20 valve 4AGE

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_175023.jpg

Then I took the Mivec heads home and bolted them onto a 6A13TT block so I could dummy fit the cambelt.
    first I tried it without the hydraulic tensioner. The belt still was too short.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_190531.jpg

Then I replaced the hydraulic tensioner and associated idler assembly but removed the big idler that sits in the valley of the V..... as you can see the belt is only just marginaly too short with the hydraulic tensioner idler backed all the way off. Looking promising.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_191617.jpg

I then put the big idler back against the belt and marked with black felt pen where the bolt hole was against the bracket which it bolts to. seems just making a new bracket to move the big idler ~2cm upwards from its stock position, this should allow for all the idlers and tensioners, waterpump and cambelt to remain stock. while still being able to run the Mivec heads. If you look closely you can see the black dot above the idler bolt.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/v...829_191816.jpg

Next step is to make a bracket and port the heads!
    Last edited by Adam.Findlay; 29-08-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Of great excite!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I've only just had time to read this thread properly. I like it!

Very interesting stuff, especially the bracket modification to allow the use of the mivec heads. Such a simple idea that I have not heard anyone come up with before. I'm looking forward to the next instalment!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Cheers Nick. hopefully I can buy a few more bits in the next few weeks and get into putting together a running motor. and then get a half decent tune onto the Link and trouble shoot any issues that im bound to have from the re-wiring of everything.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Cool. Very, very cool!

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    07-01-2015
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    96 galant vr4

im sure you've checked/thought about it, but incase you havent,

are the exhaust ports higher on a 12m head compared to a 13 head? (as in further from the say the headgasket) putting the turbos up "higher" if you get me? or will you be doing a turbo upgrade/new manifolds anyway?

it was something that was bugging me today

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

have not measured this yet but the ports should all sit in the same place its only the cams and rocker covers which sit higher from all the extra mivec stuff underneath. I dont know if I mentioned this but the exhaust ports are the same size and shape as 6a13tt and the manifold bolt pattern is the same so td03 will bolt straight on, although I am going custom manifold with bigger turbos, I will probably just put some td03's on to start with to get the motor running. but first I need to make the spacer for the cambelt bracket and check the piston to valve clearance

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    24-08-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Nice write up man! Really like what you're doing!

But i must say...You are either A) A very rough little man with this car or B) Very unlucky to have a fairly reliable car break on you so much! Haha.

I've just swapped my 99' Lexus IS200 for a 96' Legnum Auto and i love it to bits, first mod is a Evo 5 or Evo 7 interior, but my next mod is Brembos, do they bolt straight on to the front and rear hubs?

Also, i'm really liking your 6A13 Mivec idea. I was going to build one a few years back in my FTO, but i wasnt going to turbo it. Was just going to use a 6A13 SOHC Block with 6A12 Heads. I'm pretty sure when i was doing my calculations that the belt may have been a tad short?

Keep up the good work cheif!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by Barlow View Post
    Nice write up man! Really like what you're doing!

But i must say...You are either A) A very rough little man with this car or B) Very unlucky to have a fairly reliable car break on you so much! Haha.

I've just swapped my 99' Lexus IS200 for a 96' Legnum Auto and i love it to bits, first mod is a Evo 5 or Evo 7 interior, but my next mod is Brembos, do they bolt straight on to the front and rear hubs?

Also, i'm really liking your 6A13 Mivec idea. I was going to build one a few years back in my FTO, but i wasnt going to turbo it. Was just going to use a 6A13 SOHC Block with 6A12 Heads. I'm pretty sure when i was doing my calculations that the belt may have been a tad short

Keep up the good work cheif!
    I would like to say B) Very unlucky. bit I give the car arseholes and It has paid the price as you can see.

The rear Brembo calipers bolt onto any 8G VR4, how ever the front 4 piston calipers only bolt onto the facelift front hub carriers.. a search will reveal all your answers regarding this matter/

Yes the 6a13tt cambelt is too short for the Mivec heads but as per my last post I have made spacers (which I will update and post pics of tomorrow) once the cambelt is on I can time the came and turn the motor over a few times whilst having the MIVEC locked on to test the piston-to-valve clearance to see if the engine will run with stock 6A13TT pistons

more details over the weekend..

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    24-08-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Well, sorry that your unlucky, but atleast your sticking to it with dedication and not just letting it go!

Well, i was aware of the rear setup fitting as i was going to do this on my Mitsubishi Colt CJ (or Mirage where you are, ha ha), i swapped in a 6A12 Mivec and i wanted Brembos (but i also wanted a drum type parking brake), so i was going to use a Galant sport rear setup. I honestly would have thought the front calipers would have had the correct fitment for Brembos as the Legnum brakes are the same as Evo 4 twin pots right? (and i know Brembo's are a straight fit on the Evo 4) But like you say, i need to really get stuck into this forum I'm more aware of my Colt/Evo stuff, so i just need to start accepting change lol. Anyway, sorry to ramble on, clogging up your superb thread!

Aye, aslong as the belt stays taught, it should maintain its position. I cant see there would be any difference regarding piston-to-valve clearance, but your doing the right thing by bench testing the thing first

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Quote Originally Posted by Barlow View Post
    I honestly would have thought the front calipers would have had the correct fitment for Brembos as the Legnum brakes are the same as Evo 4 twin pots right? (and i know Brembo's are a straight fit on the Evo 4) But like you say, i need to really get stuck into this forum

Aye, aslong as the belt stays taught, it should maintain its position. I cant see there would be any difference regarding piston-to-valve clearance, but your doing the right thing by bench testing the thing first
    The calipers are the same between Facelift VR4 and Evo 4 but the PFL VR4's have a different bolt pattern on the caliper even though they use the same pad.
    facelift hub carriers are not that hard to come by. but you need the Facelift ABS sensors to go with them.

Piston to valve probably will be an issue as the 6a12 has large valve reliefs in the pistons where as the 6a13 does not. so on the high lift and duration Mivec lobe there is a high chance that the pistons will hit the valves.
    so I will be locking Mivec on and then testing the clearances. This engine will get forged pistons but I want to build it and put it in the car with stock internals to start with so I can iron all the kinks out with the new engine management system, and sort out a propper fuel setup. As I don't want to be chasing my tail fixing "teething issues" whilst running in a freshly built forged engine if you know what I mean

I have made the spacer for the cambelt idler bracket, will fit it tomorrow and see if they are roughly the right size.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast