Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wideband o2 sensor - which one can you recommend?

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    01-01-2020
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum Type-S

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    this is in the instruction with the MTX-L
    you can do it 2 ways one with a PC one without.
    i favour the without method because the rear of my gauge is easily accessable, you will see why.
    this is the important bit so take note, to avaid having to remove the O2 sensor from the exhaust so it is in clean air, you can do the followin:-

Ensure the car has been left over night so the exhaust is full of air and not exhaust gas, you have to ensure this which ever method of calibration you do.
    If you forget to calibrate first thing in the morning and you start the car even after 2 second, you CAN NOT calibrate the gauge, the exhaust will have exhaust gas in to and the calibration will be wrong.

Calibration method:-

1. diconnect Gauge from O2 sensor, either on the cable that come out of the back of the gauge or at the 02 sensor end of the same cable.
    2. switch ignition to ON position "DO NOT START THE CAR" you will get and E9 error. (this deletes any calibration the gauge already has)
    3. switch ....

Hope this is what you wanted.
    Perfect thanks!

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    I have a plx with wide band and boost displayed on a dm100. I'd buy it again. No calibration issues at all, good value and reliable. I have had mine for a long time now. The drawbacks are that you can't log the wide band easily and you can't offset the narrow band emulation. Neither of those things bother me though!
    Good luck and have fun choosing!
    How did you connect the narrowband output to the factory ECU Nick or @Gly? I had a quick look into the manual of the PLX SM-AFR and there is only one wire for the narrowband emulation? AFAIK the stock sensor has 4 wires???
    the one and only...Pearl White Legnum 25 ST-R...registered in Germany - now featuring a 6A13TT engine (unless you know otherwise)

Name
    Carsten
    Last Online
    22-10-2023
    Membership ID
    NZ019
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Nissan Navara
    My Garage
    Visit

just to the input on the ecu.

the other 3 wires are for earth and heating/power

the other 3 are left disconnected

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

I see. Thanks Carsten!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

oh, forgot to say the MTX-L is a 3 wire install into the cars wiring loom +12V , GND, narrowband emulation output, the O2 sensor is on a milti plug.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Sorry for the necro guys, I'm looking at getting a MTL-X myself - I wanted to check about the installation - the narrowband emulation to connect in place of the factory lambda sensor - is this the brown wire and does it just work out of the box after the sensor is calibrated or does it require tweaking for the voltages / AFRs to match the one removed?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

It works out of the box and only 3 wire installation.

you can connect the wide band output to one of the 0-5V spare inputs on the ECU and have it logable from evoscan so when doing.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

It works out of the box and only 3 wire installation.

you can connect the wide band output to one of the 0-5V spare inputs on the ECU and have it logable from evoscan so when doing.
    Sounds good

Car is going to the garage for the brakes on Monday, I'll order this now and do the electrical (power) side of the fitting tomorrow and get the garage to fit the sensor / bodge wire on Monday.

Looking here: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...ght=ECU+pinout It looks pretty simple to connect the wideband for logging?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

It is very very simple. just dont both connect the lights on wire. if you connect it to the dimmable light source light the cigaret light to illumination as that is a dimmable source via the wheel next to the dash clock display.
    just keep it to the 3 wires to start with.

just remember you need to calibrate the sonsor in an exhaust gas frre environment. so before starting the car after make sure you do the calibration procedure.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Yeah I read about your mishap! I already read the manual saying about not to use the "dimming" wire.

Thinking about the calibration, does the sensor need to be in the exhaust for this to happen?

I'm thinking with my garage they won't have long enough to let the exhaust gasses disperse before doing a calibration - is it ok for them to calibrate it in free air before they put it into the exhaust? I would assume so as it's just air with nothing flowing during the calibration anyway?

EDIT: Googling tells me doing it in the open air outside of the exhaust is fine.
    Last edited by Piers1989; 26-02-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

yes you can calibrate the sensor out side of the exhaust in free air. but when you need to calibrate it in the future, you do not need to remove the sensor in the future, just make sure you leave the car over night to allow the exhaust gasses to completely disapate from the exhaust. then perform whichever calibration method suits you. before starting the car for the first time in the morning.
    if you forget and crank the engine over for a second or two in the morning and then think oh i was going to calibrate the sensor dont be tempted to calibrate it now. the sensor will be seeing losts of exhaust gas in the exhaust pipe and the clibation will be wrong.
    you will either have to wait till the following day or if you absolutely have to calibrate it on that day you will have to remove it from the ehaust and let it dangle in free air to do the calibration.
    but calibration should only be required every 6 months or so.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Picked up the item from my local Amazon locker today - that was pretty cool

One thing I hadn't considered was the bung! I guess my garage can't simply screw the wideband in place of the narrowband or it will get burnt up in the hot exhaust gas?

I have the fassi downpipe which does have a bung of some sorts welded on but I assume it isn't deep enough to the wideband safely? My kit came with a 1" bung which I'm guessing is bigger than the one Fassi uses?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Most lambda sensors have the same thread, so you should be able to fit your wideband sensor in the stock narrowband location.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Quote Originally Posted by Piers1989 View Post
    Picked up the item from my local Amazon locker today - that was pretty cool

One thing I hadn't considered was the bung! I guess my garage can't simply screw the wideband in place of the narrowband or it will get burnt up in the hot exhaust gas?

I have the fassi downpipe which does have a bung of some sorts welded on but I assume it isn't deep enough to the wideband safely? My kit came with a 1" bung which I'm guessing is bigger than the one Fassi uses?
    Have the same thoughts when installing mine but screwed wideband where narrow band was and its all good for good few years now, nothing burnout.
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    29-06-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4 LPG

yes you can calibrate the sensor out side of the exhaust in free air. but when you need to calibrate it in the future, you do not need to remove the sensor in the future, just make sure you leave the car over night to allow the exhaust gasses to completely disapate from the exhaust. then perform whichever calibration method suits you. before starting the car for the first time in the morning.
    if you forget and crank the engine over for a second or two in the morning and then think oh i was going to calibrate the sensor dont be tempted to calibrate it now. the sensor will be seeing losts of exhaust gas in the exhaust pipe and the clibation will be wrong.
    you will either have to wait till the following day or if you absolutely have to calibrate it on that day you will have to remove it from the ehaust and let it dangle in free air to do the calibration.
    but calibration should only be required every 6 months or so.
    Is it ok to calibrate the innovative wideband in the exhaust? Looking at the manual it says it should be done out of the exhaust but mine is due a recalibration (didn't realise it was recommended every 6 months for turbo cars) and I can't get under the car at the moment.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Quote Originally Posted by Tarps87 View Post
    Is it ok to calibrate the innovative wideband in the exhaust? Looking at the manual it says it should be done out of the exhaust but mine is due a recalibration (didn't realise it was recommended every 6 months for turbo cars) and I can't get under the car at the moment.
    From what I understand from this thread its ok so long as you leave it overnight to clear all gasses. DO NOT do it if you have turned the engine on at all in say 8 hours.]

Regarding putting it in the normal hole, thanks for the information. I'll take the risk i think so long as it doesn't end up like 1 inch into the pipe!

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    29-06-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4 LPG

From what I understand from this thread its ok so long as you leave it overnight to clear all gasses. DO NOT do it if you have turned the engine on at all in say 8 hours.
    That's sounds like a plan for tomorrow then, if only the software could do the calibration as I know where the usb connector is, will have to find the sensor one :-)

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

That's sounds like a plan for tomorrow then, if only the software could do the calibration as I know where the usb connector is, will have to find the sensor one :-)
    Do you have the MTX-L or whatever its called? If so you dont need anything just unplug the sensor and follow the guide Dave said above.

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    29-06-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4 LPG

Do you have the MTX-L or whatever its called? If so you dont need anything just unplug the sensor and follow the guide Dave said above.
    Yep the MTX-L, gone through the guide just the usb lead is just easier to get to as it's in the glove box :-)

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Yep the MTX-L, gone through the guide just the usb lead is just easier to get to as it's in the glove box :-)
    I guess it depends where you've routed the cabling, my connector on the back of the gauge for the sensor will be easy to get to to disconnect for re calibrations.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast