16-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 m

Weird clutch slip?

Ok Manual VR4

Stock Clutch not that old at all maybe 6-10000 miles

When cold you can launch the car and it goes great and leaps away. loading it up in high gear no problem.

However. Cruise on the motorway for an hour and get everything hot, then pulling out in 5th gear and it slips.

Are the casings expanding?

The clutch slave has been off the car and emptied, checked it is free and total fluid replacement and bleed.
    The clutch pedal has been off the car and investigated and tweaked in case it was holding residual pressure on the master.

Is something dropping on the clutch? water oil? No signs of any leaks or drips.

Can oil from the main seal find it's way onto the friction surface?
    But then next time you start it it is great and grips well.

Highly confusing.
    The only VR4 legnum that has my backside rut imprinted on the drivers seat.

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

Clutches are funny with heat as this can cause them to leach on to the flywheel in other word the glue holding the friction material can melt which is why when it hot you get slip do you know what clucth is in there also a heated presure plate can cause slipage as it losens preasure from friction plate ,in short it means you need to change it and main seal on crank at same time

Name
    Dom
    Last Online
    16-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 m

The car Dynos at over 310bhp at the flywheel, is it time to upgrade the clutch? It's not that much over std.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Torque is more of the issue though - 10% more power on these is often accompanied by a torque increase nearer 30% or so.
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

As nev said its more a case of torque increase on the clutch it a spining mass thats used to disingauge drive when cold its great but induse heat and uv got extra play had same issue on the evo i had after stroker upgrade lol

Name
    Pierre
    Last Online
    27-02-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    VR-4 Legnum

I had a similar problem with a manual legnum I had a few years back. I got the car cheap with a stuffed clutch and fitted a new factory unit to it. Occasionally after it got hot it would slip in 4th and 5th under load and this was straight from new.

I came across a post somewhere that indicated the clutch damper in the line could be the culprit. The recommendation was to remove the damper and replace it with the pipe from an Evo. I order the evo pipe from the local dealer for $25 odd bucks, fitted this and bled the clucth and never had any more problem with it slipping.

Part number for the evo pipe is 2348A038, for the price it may be worth fitting this to see if it fixes your problem before getting a new clutch fitted. FYI the bolts used to mount the damper and slave cylinder are a bit long to use when you remove the damper, get some shorter ones or use some spacers on the originals.

Legnum with damperLegnumPipe.png Evo without damperEvoPipe.png

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dom B View Post
    The car Dynos at over 310bhp at the flywheel, is it time to upgrade the clutch? It's not that much over std.
    Last edited by pbaron; 31-10-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Name
    Brian
    Last Online
    14-04-2014
    Country
    Wales
    Car
    1988 Galant VR4

Clutch damper, interesting why they feel the need to fit those.
    Last edited by kzv76; 31-10-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    1990 Eclipse GS - SOLD
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - SOLD
    1990 Eclipse GS - Scrapped
    1991 Eclipse GS - Scrapped
    1991 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD - Daily Driver
    1992 Galant auto - SCRAPPED
    1988 Galant GTI - SOLD
    1988 Galant VR4 - Daily Driver
    1999 Galant VR4 - New Project

Name
    Dom
    Last Online
    16-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 m

Quote Originally Posted by pbaron View Post
    I had a similar problem with a manual legnum I had a few years back. I got the car cheap with a stuffed clutch and fitted a new factory unit to it. Occasionally after it got hot it would slip in 4th and 5th under load and this was straight from new.

I came across a post somewhere that indicated the clutch damper in the line could be the culprit. The recommendation was to remove the damper and replace it with the pipe from an Evo. I order the evo pipe from the local dealer for $25 odd bucks, fitted this and bled the clucth and never had any more problem with it slipping.

Part number for the evo pipe is 2348A038, for the price it may be worth fitting this to see if it fixes your problem before getting a new clutch fitted. FYI the bolts used to mount the damper and slave cylinder are a bit long to use when you remove the damper, get some shorter ones or use some spacers on the originals.

Legnum with damperLegnumPipe.png Evo without damperEvoPipe.png

Cheers
    Ok that sounds worth a go. The part number for the evo one looks the same as the part number for the lower VR4 one? 20464? Is that the only part number?

Name
    nigel
    Last Online
    23-12-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    black l200

They fit same damper to the galant v6 just remove and aline pipe work to fit with out it may solve your problem for a short time lol

Name
    Dom
    Last Online
    16-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 m

Ok So looking at the clutch, I have to say it looks brand new. It is an exedy stock clutch nothing special.

There are no signs of oil contamination and no signs of water leaking onto it, i.e. no coolant residue.

The plate looks like new and is 8.4mm thick, does anyone know how much under the thickness of a new clutch this is?

The flywheel despite the photo, is smooth as you could ever hope and with your fingernail you can feel the original machining marks over most of it's surface. It certainly doesn't look any different from any other flywheel I have seen. The pressure plate is as smooth.

There really looks like no reason why it would slip. Especially since the slip was never under high load but simply changing lanes in 5th gear on the motorway.

Your thoughts ladies and gents?

Really confused now.IMG_3273E.jpgIMG_3275E.jpgIMG_3276E.jpgIMG_3278E.jpgIMG_3279E.jpg

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

I have similar issue before, clutch slipping after few miles of driving, never when cold or on short journeys. So I get new one and while I start to take gearbox out I find reason why it was slipping, rubber grommet on top of gbox was missing and one of small water pipe above it has been split and pissing coolant right in this hole and on to clutch. Leak was small enough to not notice but in so unfortunate spot that is causing clutch to slip.
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    23-07-2021
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2000 VR4 Legnum

Did u get the clutch put in? Or bought the car with it? I would say that the clutch has been fried and its lost clamp pressure. I've done the same thing high rev dump and glazed the clutch. Never been the same. Holds good most of the time but every now and then on a cold morning 3rd gear pull ill get a flare. But then it'll be good. I'm waiting for new hd exedy before full tune and winding the boost right up.

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

Pressure plate and flywheel look stuffed! Looks like they have been very hot! (May just be the pictures tho?)
    To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Dom
    Last Online
    16-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 m

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru ETA View Post
    Pressure plate and flywheel look stuffed! Looks like they have been very hot! (May just be the pictures tho?)
    They feel very smooth but do look like they have hot spots, but then again if you launch 300bhp through a 4wd system you expect that a little surely? It must be designed for it? Does anyone know if the thickness is new/worn/fubared? I would say the clutch release lever looked very close to the bell housing when it was all together maybe indicating wear.

I only really want to figure out what was the problem. Either way I am taking the damper off and putting a new clutch and flywheel in. I am going to fiddle with the engine whilst it is out so should be thinking along the lines of upgrading the clutch but don't know which way to go. What I don't want is to have a stall a minute brute to pedal along everywhere.

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

Nick Mann adaptor and Evo clutch appear to be the way to go. Probably a bit cheaper than finding a heavier duty clutch for the VR4 too.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The thickness looks good. Not much wear at all. Clutches are usually rated with torque rather than power in my experience. My car used to slip under load on a stock clutch at 300 bhp but then my torque was 370lbft which is a huge increase from stock.

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Looks like contamination to me. The coolant idea is plausible looking at the picture on the far right... I have never seen flywheel bolts with rust on like that personally, and I have done a few gearboxes now.

Name
    Dom
    Last Online
    16-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 m

Hi Ken,
    I have been looking and I am struggling to see where it would get in as I replaced every hose and clip going, as I searched for the problem. The coating on the bolts looks like dried coolant but it's hard to say. On the plus side I found the problem with the engine now I have taken it apart and why it was leaking water, it was a head gasket. Post with photos will be up in a short while just for fun. Trouble is now I have the engine out I want to fiddle with everything.