Thread: HOW TO Disconnect the Pull Clutch Bearing to separate the engine and gearbox easily

Name
    Dom
    Last Online
    16-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 m

HOW TO Disconnect the Pull Clutch Bearing to separate the engine and gearbox easily

Ok So you want to separate the gearbox and engine, you have all the bolts out but the gearbox seems to be stuck together and you can't see how to remove the clutch release bearing from the clutch????

Well plenty of people know how to do this but I see a lot of people writing about how they struggle to know what to do in the darkness of the clutch. When you see it in the daylight it is very easy.

I will start with a picture of the clutch already separated to show you what you are trying to achieve.

IMG_3271.jpg

The spring loaded retaining clip you can see above in the center of the clutch spring plate holds the thrust bearing in. What you are trying to achieve is to push this clip against the clutch as you pull the release bearing out. with the clip in it's normal sprung up position the bearing will be locked in. But depress the weak spring down against the clutch (towards the engine) and the bearing will be easy to pop out.

This is best done from underneath.
    So either do whilst the engine is in the car or up on a crane or engine stand. You need to get your head under the gearbox to see up the inspection hole.

Firstly remove the clutch slave cylinder from the top of the gearbox.

The inspection hole has a round rubber plug at the bottom of the bell housing, pull this plug out.

Grab the clutch arm that the slave cylinder usually pushes and pull it Away from the engine towards the left hand side of the car. This compresses the bearing and retaining clip against the clutch.

Hold the arm there or have someone do it for you (the spring is very weak so it is easy)

Then with a long flat screwdriver and a torch from under the gearbox through the inspection hole, hold the spring clip against the clutch.

Now have your helper let go of the clutch lever and the bearing will come away from the clutch but the screwdriver is still holding the clip down against the clutch.

Either you or your helper now needs one swift tap of a rubber hammer this time towards the engine.

IMG_3269 copy.jpg

You will feel a clunk as the bearing pops out. It is now released and you can pull your gearbox with no problem at all.
    The only VR4 legnum that has my backside rut imprinted on the drivers seat.

Name
    Rob
    Last Online
    31-03-2018
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR4 Type S

Wow, easy to follow instructions Dom but one issue I see here...
    I have an auto lol

Name
    Dom
    Last Online
    16-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 m

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaLeggyVR4 View Post
    Wow, easy to follow instructions Dom but one issue I see here...
    I have an auto lol
    Lol, well I can't help you with that one just yet.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

you can just unbolt the flywheel so it stays connected to the clutch when you split the box from the engine. That way you can release the clutch when its out of the car in the daylight.

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Scott
    Last Online
    09-07-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    96 Legnum VR4 T

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    you can just unbolt the flywheel so it stays connected to the clutch when you split the box from the engine. That way you can release the clutch when its out of the car in the daylight.
    You should only do this if you're planning to have the flywheel balanced, as by separating the flywheel into its two parts (flex plate and friction surface/weight), you're putting it out of balance.

Name
    Dom
    Last Online
    16-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 m

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post

Unbolting the flywheel section through the inspection panel at the back takes a good 10 minutes of fiddling where as doing it the proper way takes literally seconds. Much easier.

Name
    Rob
    Last Online
    31-03-2018
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR4 Type S

It comes out eventually, lets jus ahree to disagree lol

Name
    Rob
    Last Online
    31-03-2018
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR4 Type S

Haha drunk much

Name
    Dom
    Last Online
    16-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    97 Legnum VR4 m

For those that are that way inclined I have a nice way to remove a wheel that you should enjoy. You undo the shock fork, top wishbone, bottom arm, radius arm and then pop the inner drive shaft joint off. Not forgetting to disconnect the brake pipe and abs sensor and steering rod end which instead of breaking the taper if you rotate the whole corner assembly 39 times should come off.