Name
    Trev
    Last Online
    14-12-2015
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum VR4

I'm coming across some conflicting info and sourcing brake parts here in Canada is not easy so hopefully someone can tell me if this setup will work before i pull the trigger on actually buying parts:

I have a 1997 PFL Japanese spec Legnum VR4.... i am going to replace all rotors, pads, lines and fluid.

I have the rear rotors and pads sorted/sourced.

For the fronts I was looking at 296mm front rotors, same as found on the Mitsubishi outlander (Here: https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/prod...roductid=18826) looking for some slotted variants.
    and some ferodo ds2500 front pads P/N FCP765H. I am also planning to use goodridge stainless braided lines, part # 26025 from the 2nd gen eclipse.

Anyone have any thoughts... i had read that perahps my PFL Japanese spec car may have single pot front calipers? does that have an impact on this?

Thanks for any input, as i said, getting this all sorted without importing parts from Oz or the UK is tricky, so Id really appreciate any input you guys may have.
    Last edited by upshotbravo; 21-04-2014 at 07:03 AM.

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    15-03-2023
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8G VR4 + Colt

All of the 8th gen VR4s have twin pot fronts and single rears. I have a set of both PFL and FL, and they are identical (apart from the mounting holes for the caliper).

IIRC they share the same brakes as the Eclipses with the 'big brake' upgrade, or the non-Brembo Evo 4's.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

765 rings a bell, and certainly the ds2500 with grooved discs is a good improvement on stock.
    Evo 4 has always been my reference point too, and later evos with 'gravel brakes' (effectively non brembo models, as above) although there could well be things like the outlander and eclipse that share some parts.

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Quote Originally Posted by upshotbravo View Post
    I'm coming across some conflicting info and sourcing brake parts here in Canada is not easy so hopefully someone can tell me if this setup will work before i pull the trigger on actually buying parts:

I have a 1997 PFL Japanese spec Legnum VR4.... i am going to replace all rotors, pads, lines and fluid.

I have the rear rotors and pads sorted/sourced.

For the fronts I was looking at 296mm front rotors, same as found on the Mitsubishi outlander (Here: https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/prod...roductid=18826) looking for some slotted variants.
    and some ferodo ds2500 front pads P/N FCP765H. I am also planning to use goodridge stainless braided lines, part # 26025 from the 2nd gen eclipse.

Anyone have any thoughts... i had read that perahps my PFL Japanese spec car may have single pot front calipers? does that have an impact on this?

Thanks for any input, as i said, getting this all sorted without importing parts from Oz or the UK is tricky, so Id really appreciate any input you guys may have.
    Trev, you are on the right path.

Fronts: 296mm diameter / 24mm thickness / 5 stud 114.3mm / vented (e.g. Mits. Outlander)
    Rears: 284mm diameter / 20mm thickness / vented / 5 stud 114.3mm / parking brake function separate from brake caliper (?)

pads front: Eclipse Turbo 2nd Gen fitment
    pads rear: (?)

brake lines: Eclipse 2nd Gen fitment will be fine

Obviously you have sorted the rears yourself already. The front brake parts should be an easy go for you then.
    Last edited by crazydriver81; 21-04-2014 at 09:27 PM.
    the one and only...Pearl White Legnum 25 ST-R...registered in Germany - now featuring a 6A13TT engine (unless you know otherwise)

Name
    Trev
    Last Online
    14-12-2015
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by crazydriver81 View Post
    Trev, you are on the right path.

Fronts: 296mm diameter / 24mm thickness / 5 stud 114.3mm / vented (e.g. Mits. Outlander)
    Rears: 280mm diameter / 20mm thickness / vented / 5 stud 114.3mm / parking brake function separate from brake caliper (?)

pads front: Eclipse Turbo 2nd Gen fitment
    pads rear: (?)

brake lines: Eclipse 2nd Gen fitment will be fine

Obviously you have sorted the rears yourself already. The front brake parts should be an easy go for you then.
    Thanks for the info! Are you sure the rears are 280mm? I have a fair bit of info suggesting the rears are 284mm diameter, 60mm height, 20mm thickness, 114.3x5 bolt pattern. I must admit that my info on the rear rotors is a bit shakey but the allegedly compatible 95 talon rear, vented rotors (Centric/Ctek part#121.46048) are only 30/pair here so will find out... (not to be confused with the solid rotors of similar diameter also used for that car.)

I just used the rear pad part numbers from camskill and sourced the EBC green stuff rear pads from a US supplier. Part number DP2987

For reference for the handful of other canucks/European continentals that might find this relevant, the front rotor part number from EBC
    for the 296mm 2005/2006 outlander rotors is GD 7336. I just got off the phone with EBC north america and they confirm that the GD7336 rotors are dimensionaly identical to the GD974 rotors (legnum vr4 fitment)

EDIT: i will update this thread when all the parts go in successfully (hopefully) next week.
    Last edited by upshotbravo; 22-04-2014 at 06:24 AM.

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

You are right Trev - rears are 284mm in diameter. Edited my post accordingly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12