Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Evo gearbox.

There have been a few threads with people asking about the evo 5 speed gearbox bolting up to the VR4 block. I have got a 5 speed evo 8 gearbox in my garage and a block/box gasket from an auto VR4. So I figured I would take a photo so people can see exactly what the bolt on issues are.

20140212_144334.jpg

Basically all the upper bolts are in a different position. That's four bolts at the top of the bell housing that do not line up. There is one starter motor bolt that doesn't line up, but I am confident that is due to the difference between auto and manual starter ring sizes.

I hope this helps explain in the future - this subject seems to come up a lot.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

good bit info there nick.

with a bit of grinding and replacement box gasket with it slightly redesigned you could make the top 2 bolts line up.
    the gasket would have to have 2 holes tabs in each of the 2 top bolt positions. one for bolting to the block and one for bolting to the gear box.
    i think this would work but as i say you would have to grind a bit of bell housing away to be able to push the bots through to screw into the block.
    Last edited by Davezj; 16-02-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Bye for Now!

Name
    raj
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Car
    vr4 galant

what about re-placing the bell housing with the vr4 one,wonder if it will line up???

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Thanks for the pictures Nick. This means, an Evo gearbox cannot be fit to a 6A13 block? What do all guys do to convert AT to MT? I don't think there are so much MT gearboxes around...
    the one and only...Pearl White Legnum 25 ST-R...registered in Germany - now featuring a 6A13TT engine (unless you know otherwise)

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i think the bell housing theory will might have merit.

Name
    raj
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Car
    vr4 galant

i think the evo4/5/6 gearbox has the same internals as the vr4,i had ah look at a vr4 and a evo4 geargox side by side and it looked identical,thats for nick mann pic the bolt up is slightly different but i strongly think if u interchange the bell housing it will work

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The internals of the 5 speed evo manual boxes are 100% interchangeable with the VR4. The ratios are different though. I'm not sure about the actual casing, and I've heard stories of the selector arms being slightly different. At some point I will have the VR4 box next to the Evo 8 box, so I can update this thread with more photos. I might even be able to work out bellhousing swaps.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

you can bolt a vr4 bell housing to a evo casing. and vice versa. BUT you will need to get all the bearing preloads checked as the housings may not be machined idential from factory.

another option is to use a CM5A GSR Lancer (evo 4 shape 4G93T 4wd lancer) gearbox as they are physically identical to a VR4 box. bell housing and all. I personally have used a Legnum VR4 gearbox to manual convert a CM5A GSR and It all bolted up no worries. Im sure the ratios will be different between GSR and VR4 but you can mix and match evo 4-9, VR4 and GSR gearsets and final drives to get the ratios you want.

My car is using the VR4 Casing with the VR4 output shaft. 5th gear and final drive but it has Evo 4 Input shaft with Evo 4 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Gears. this combination gives me about 60kph at 7100 RPM in 1st and pretty much bang on 100kph at the top of 2nd gear. but by retaining the VR4 5th and final drive I didnt increase the rpm at 100kph cruise.
    @Nick Mann I would give you rep for this but don't think I can because Im not a member but It is about time someone dedicated a thread to this question. As I have answered it over and over on both here an OZ vr4.

the russian guys got a 6spd manual from and evo 8 which has the same bellhousing bolt patern as the 5spd evo box, and cut the two top holes off which didn't line up with the V6 block (as per nicks picture) welded on some lugs in the right place and then drilled them so the bellhousing bolted to the V6 block. making an evo bellhousing fit is do-able, just not practical

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Thanks Nick for posting this.
    Can you do as well post a link to thread by Valmes and other guy from Russia here on forum where they did explain how they re-located top 2 bellhousing mount points, pretty please?
    This would save us further pointless discussion here "is it doable or not".
    It's been done several times guys, just do "search" sometimes

BTW, Nick it's Evo 7-8 bellhousing for EU "260" version, slightly different to Evo 4-6. IIRC, that's where issue with starter motor and more that 2 top bolts comes. So far I'm aware only of fitting Evo 4-6 boxes.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

I have the photo from the Russian thread, but no link to the thread, I will post pic when on laptop

Name
    Rich
    Last Online
    12-11-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 Type S

Good info good to know we can use the 4-6 gearboxes there can be many vr4 ones around