Vulcan
    Last Online
    10-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 vr4 Legnum

Help with my evoscan data logs.

my cable arrived today so im able to do some data logging on my car 1997 vr4 legnum manual, so ill post up some pictures of my logs once i get out and do some soon and if anyone can see anything i should look into please let me know. I'm assuming my readings should be close to other peoples readings with the same car.

Also what is knock sum3e and what should that be? should this be up in the 50s? at idle it sits around 4 and keeps jumping to around high 40s without me touching th gas just keeps jumping around but with my foot down its constant high numbers upto 50

also timing advance, is that meant to hit the high 30s? at idle it says its 4-8 then when i put my foot down it gets as high as 36.

the air fuel ratio thing sits at 14.7 at idle and as soon as i touch the gas it goes down to 11s and 12s. is that lean or richer?

the tps shows 11.7 at idle and goes up above 60 when i put my foot down. is this normal readings as well?

im having a play around with it now in my driveway while i wait for the post to come then ill get some petrol and go do some 3rd gear pulls then some first/2nd gear pulls and hopefully it will start doing its thing and maybe something will show up different from the earlier logs

as some of you know the reason im doing this is to try find out why i have a temperamental problem when i drive for a certain time the car doesn't want to run properly over 4,000rpm and i have no idea what it is. it sounds different after 4krpm and has 0 power and the more i drive the worse it gets, but in 3rd gear it pulls and drives fine its only 1st and 2nd where it does this.
    Last edited by nos monkeys; 10-04-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Name
    Vulcan
    Last Online
    10-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 vr4 Legnum

ok my real main question for now is, fuel trim, it has low med high, i only ever get a reading on fuel trim low which is a solid 4.6875 . . and then there is fuel trim in use which is a solid 4.6875 but through out the log it cuts and shows fuel trim in use 0. and the car wasn't running right and did keep cutting. il upload a photo soon of what im talking about.

but i thought fuel trim in use should be a solid number and never cut out when driving.

samerun_zps4f1883eb.jpg
    firstlog_zps2f935be5.jpg
    Last edited by nos monkeys; 10-04-2014 at 06:08 AM.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

try having a look at the first few videos in this thread it goes through ecuFash and evoscan, it covers how to read evoscan logs, and what to log and what you should be looking at.
    there are also some links to threads in the second post that show threads where evoscan has been discussed. they might help.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...basic+ecuflash

the knock figure you need to look at is 'Knock sum'

only 'fuel trim low' and 'fuel trim in use' work.
    my fuel trim in use flicks between 0-4.688 either on or off.

boost pressure does not work you do not have a boost pressure sensor output that is loggable by evoscan.
    ideally 2 byte load is need to be logged as a more detailed version of the 1 byte load, but 1 byte will do. as load vs rpm is how all the ecu fuctions work.
    the standard O2 sensor is a norrow band and only gives a 0-1V signal so if you don't have and wideband fitted then you can ignore the AFR logged result, you want to be looking at the O2 sensor that gives the 0V-1V signal representation.
    but have a play with it. what you have to remeber is all you are doing is logging data, you are not changing anything. So if you were happy driving your car before then just becase you are logging data does not mean anything is going worng.
    Last edited by Davezj; 10-04-2014 at 06:59 AM.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Vulcan
    Last Online
    10-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 vr4 Legnum

ill have a look through that link, the knock sum said it only works for 98+ and for before 98 to use knock sum3 and that is what is showing from 1 at idle to upto 50 at foot flat. my car hasnt driving fine ever since i brought it and i cant seem to find out why its so temperamental so im looking for odd temeramental readings and that fuel trim in use keeps cutting and ending at 0 and not sure if this is normal or not same as the tps readings

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

updated my post please read again.

'Knock sum' is the one you sould be looking at.
    if you are using high octane fuel 98 or 99 and have standard boost level you should not be getting any knock at all. but if using lower octane fuel 95 you should be expecting to see some knock.

Name
    Vulcan
    Last Online
    10-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 vr4 Legnum

like as soon as i put my foot down fuel trim in use says 0 and car runs like crap and the rev range when it runs like crap and fuel trim in use goes to 0 are about the same which is why i think it has something to do with that, iv watched a couple of those videos but they just talk about tuning and i havent found anything about what the fuel trim in use thing means yet but ill keep watching.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

this is how i found any issues with my car, i logged all senors and perameters that i thought were required then start logging your data, then go for a drive and as soon as the event occurred that you were trying to log, stop the log. then you know you only have to look at the last say 20 seconds of the log data for abnormalities rather than 10's of minutes of data trying to find the events you looking for.
    then you can actually say you know the event occured in specific section of data. then you can post it up on hear and some of us can have a look at it a see if we can spot anything obvoius.
    you will have to attach the log file as a zip to allow it to be attached.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

you are better off using throttle position rather than TPS just becasue it is a bit more obvious what you are doing.
    max about 96% and min about 12%

Name
    Vulcan
    Last Online
    10-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 vr4 Legnum

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    updated my post please read again.

'Knock sum' is the one you sould be looking at.
    if you are using high octane fuel 98 or 99 and have standard boost level you should not be getting any knock at all. but if using lower octane fuel 95 you should be expecting to see some knock.
    cheers, they only have 95 octane here and its running 7psi. the "knock sum" doesnt show any readings not even 0. "knock sum3e" shows heaps of numbers from 1-50

Name
    Vulcan
    Last Online
    10-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 vr4 Legnum

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    this is how i found any issues with my car, i logged all senors and perameters that i thought were required then start logging your data, then go for a drive and as soon as the event occurred that you were trying to log, stop the log. then you know you only have to look at the last say 20 seconds of the log data for abnormalities rather than 10's of minutes of data trying to find the events you looking for.
    then you can actually say you know the event occured in specific section of data. then you can post it up on hear and some of us can have a look at it a see if we can spot anything obvoius.
    you will have to attach the log file as a zip to allow it to be attached.
    i have a log here of my first gear pull i did just before then stopped it straight after. ill figure out how to attach it as a zip.

my throttle posistion shows about 11.9% to about 96.5% so that seems to be good.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by nos monkeys View Post
    like as soon as i put my foot down fuel trim in use says 0 and car runs like crap and the rev range when it runs like crap and fuel trim in use goes to 0 are about the same which is why i think it has something to do with that, iv watched a couple of those videos but they just talk about tuning and i havent found anything about what the fuel trim in use thing means yet but ill keep watching.
    Yes the videos are aimed at tuning the ecu, but it does go through how to read an evo scan log, in excel.
    personally i use the botton under the logging start stop button to view my logs as a graphs of the data. the it is very easy to view lots of graphs on top of eachother.
    this function not now not as user friendly as it used to in 2.7 bit you have to learn how to use it.
    push the button, go to bottom left of window, Load #1 log button, and load the log you want to view.
    wait for it to load, klick on the chart menu at the top of the windowthese are all the data types you can view, scroll down to the bottom of the window and te last set of axis are the ones the data will be displayed on.
    start by switching some of the data on and off and then place your cursor over the graphs and it wil display the actual data being shown at that point on all the graphs that are switched on at that point. you can drag the cursor over the graph to see how it changes with time to see the actuall data cptured.

Name
    Vulcan
    Last Online
    10-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 vr4 Legnum

EvoScanDataLog_2014.04.10_17.42.10.zip
    did this work for my data log?

guess not ill try again lol

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

cheers, they only have 95 octane here and its running 7psi. the "knock sum" doesnt show any readings not even 0. "knock sum3e" shows heaps of numbers from 1-50
    'knock sum' is the one you want to be looking at and it should read 0 if it is being logged, do you acually have it ticked, if not then it will not show 0, you have to have the data types ticked when you are actully logging otherwise the data field will remain blank.
    i don't have 'knock sum 3E' ticked so the value is blank for me.

Name
    Vulcan
    Last Online
    10-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 vr4 Legnum

EvoScanDataLog_2014.04.10_17.33.40.zip

and this is another log i done, see how the fuel trim keeps cutting in and out. is this why it feels like fuel cut but sometimes it doesnt come back on and has the power loss untill i take my foot off the gas and change gear.

Name
    Vulcan
    Last Online
    10-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 vr4 Legnum

oh i didnt have it ticked the last logs, earlier logs i did and it showed 0 but went to 2 once. ill remember that for my next run tomorrow.

all my eariler logs with knock sum all read 0 which is good, the 2 things i was worried about was bad knocking or running way to lean. so now i just need to find why its not running right.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i will have a look at the log and see if there is anything obvious.
    do you have a log that shows the issue in the last few seconds of the log so i know where to look. you said you had one and then uploaded 2 different logs.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

i have just looked at one of my old logs and it looks likr the fuel trim in use drop to 0 when under hard acceleration this is normal operation.

i am not sure about this but i think fuel trim in use is showing how much the fuel is being reduced by not increased by. so when it goes to 0 it is giving as much fuel as it can. it is not taking any fuel away.

Name
    Vulcan
    Last Online
    10-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 vr4 Legnum

oh i see, hmm. my problem is from 3500rpm to red line it either jerks like its constantly on and off fuel cut, or it has no power at all and has a different noise the engine. i tried getting a video but you cant hear anything. but at 4k+ it sounds not normal it stops pulling and its just all over the show. heres the video anyway if u keep watching it over and over you might be able to see it sounds real different. it looks like its reving fine but has no power and defiantly isnt running right. because it runs good when i first take it out.

tomorrow ill try get a video of it running good first thing in the morning and try get as much as i can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgvvpUdaNlM

ill get my gf to come with me tomorrow when i go driving and get her to press the stop and start button on the data logging so she can stop it straight after it acts up.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

oh i see, hmm. my problem is from 3500rpm to red line it either jerks like its constantly on and off fuel cut, or it has no power at all and has a different noise the engine. i tried getting a video but you cant hear anything. but at 4k+ it sounds not normal it stops pulling and its just all over the show. heres the video anyway if u keep watching it over and over you might be able to see it sounds real different. it looks like its reving fine but has no power and defiantly isnt running right. because it runs good when i first take it out.

tomorrow ill try get a video of it running good first thing in the morning and try get as much as i can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgvvpUdaNlM

ill get my gf to come with me tomorrow when i go driving and get her to press the stop and start button on the data logging so she can stop it straight after it acts up.
    i can't really see anything wrong in the log but you have not really logged the all the data values you need barometric sensor is a good one, knock sum, TPS, load 1 byte or load 2 byte mod, speed, etc.

I have just been listening to the video, when you get to about 4000 rpm are you getting a ssshhhhh sound like air escaping. the only thing i can thinnk of it you have a boost leak.
    can you get a boost leak test done, what boost are you getting, is it lower than you expect e.g. are you getting 0.7 bar at the start of the run and is it dropping to 0.5 bar at 4000 rpm

Name
    Vulcan
    Last Online
    10-10-2016
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1997 vr4 Legnum

iv checked for a boost leak but it was fine and the mitsi place said it didnt have one as well, i still need to buy a new boost gauge because i dont think mine works it only shows 5psi and they said its running 7 psi but its a manual so should be 9psi

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast