Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

going sideways !!

I'm tempted !! sort of, to really get my car sideways & play big time !!
    Sad I know, but just spent some time studying Tiff Needells "burning rubber" & I'm tempted to put theory into practice.
    It's OK getting our tyres screeching, & passengers screaming, but putting 1.5 tons of legnum, deliberatly sideways has got to be worth a dabble ??
    All you need to do is go into a corner at a speed the car can cope with, but upset the cars balance !! flick it left.......... flick it right..... & off you go !!

we have the power to do it. has anyone got the bottle ?? I have !! I think ??

Name
    Kenneth
    Last Online
    12-01-2024
    Membership ID
    NZ002
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Kia Sorento :P
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by interlec
    I'm tempted !! sort of, to really get my car sideways & play big time !!
    Sad I know, but just spent some time studying Tiff Needells "burning rubber" & I'm tempted to put theory into practice.
    It's OK getting our tyres screeching, & passengers screaming, but putting 1.5 tons of legnum, deliberatly sideways has got to be worth a dabble ??
    All you need to do is go into a corner at a speed the car can cope with, but upset the cars balance !! flick it left.......... flick it right..... & off you go !!

we have the power to do it. has anyone got the bottle ?? I have !! I think ??
    Wouldn't mind trying it myself. Wouldnt want to do it on the street though.

In my old 1.8 Galant, my rear tyres were so crap I could drift while going uphill. Good fun, but somethings bound to happen. I was lucky with that car, the worst I did was tear a rear tyre off the rim. the kerb was low enough that the rim didnt hit the concrete. luckily, just went to the gas station and popped the tyre back on.

I expect you would have to be going pretty quick to drift a VR-4. At low speeds I have turned some corners at speeds I wouldn't like to admit, and been very impressed.

If Trow sees this, he might tell you a bit about a road close to where I live. Was doing about 80 around a 25-30 with marginal camber. when it came time to straighten for the next turn (S bend) the backside flicked around a fair bit. Good fun!

Hehe, the EVO 8 following us was left behind admittedly he didnt know the road (or thats what he said

um yeah, go for it. IMO you want to practice on the track first. Then you might have been planning that anyway, in which case I should shut up....

Name
    Richard
    Last Online
    28-11-2021
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    1999 Galant VR4

Have had 1.7tones of legnum sideways, very sideways, go into the corner full throttle then just at the apex lift off the gas, throw a little big of extra steering, kick down a gear and plant the foot again, this must take less than a second and instant sideways, to get out of it keep your foot planted and steer strait ahead. easy, I do it now and then for fun.

Name
    Simon
    Last Online
    12-04-2016
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    White R32 GTR

You should have seen Bonsai Boy Saturday!!!! Mental is not the word..........bring on JAPFEST!.....Ive a drifting DVD that i'll try and post some clips of, its good because you get to the see the outside of the car, the drivers feet and pedals and a G-force unit to see how the driver upsets the car. We need to find an open airfield to play on!

Name
    Sheffield
    Last Online
    07-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    galaxy excel 2

It's easier in a RWD car than a 4WD !! I dont think combe will be wide enough for my exploits.
    I did get mine into a full on 4 wheel drift at Elvington with Jimbo in the suicide seat. but thats not as good as getting the rear end out, & holding it. and.................. also remembering to correct the steering BEFORE you come out of the drift !! if not............ you get the old 'tank slapper' !!

Last Online
    24-08-2010
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    '97 Legnum VR-4

Yeah I've tried it a couple of times in the wet. There's a road here in Auckland called Wapiti ave and it has a nice little S corner coming from the Greenlane end. You can take the right at speed and drift out on the left turn.

Name
    graham
    Last Online
    07-01-2013
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    a green one

Talking

ONE SET OF BBS RIMS FOR SALE
    WITH SLIGHTLY WORN TYRES
    mitsubishi legnum VR4 and a few bits and bobs