Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom JDM headlights with LED strip (2014 car look)

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Custom JDM headlights with LED strip (2014 car look)

I've been tinkering with 2 sets of JDM headlights that I converted to dual HID Xenon (4300K color) projector headlights. It also features white angel-eyes (or halo's) (which I smoked in the 'black' version of the 2 sets) and red 'demon' eyes (switched from an aux switch as it's quite illegal to have any other lamp color than white/yellow on the front of the car). To top it off, they have electronic height adjustment motors added (the wiring and everything was in my Galant from factory so that was pretty easy).

And today... I added a set of flexible LED strips that shine superbly uniform, just like many new cars on the market have.
    As a bonus, these strips have an option to be switched into repeater/indicator mode (orange), which I tested, but didn't hook up (yet).

Personally, I really like the look of these lights. The HID projector Xenon light output (especially in dual mode) is fantastic and because of the projector lens it is not blinding traffic as it's just pointed perfectly on the road. Now it has looks and function and feels like it could be from a 2014 car

The silver version:
    vr2-galant-jdm-projector-custom00.jpgvr2-galant-jdm-projector-custom05.JPGvr2-galant-jdm-projector-custom04.JPGvr2-galant-jdm-projector-custom03.JPGvr2-galant-jdm-projector-custom02.JPG

The blacked-out version, with the LED strip:
    galant-custom-headlight-drl-hid-02.JPGgalant-custom-headlight-drl-hid-03.JPGgalant-hid-projector-led-strip-custom-headlight01.JPGgalant-custom-headlight-drl-hid-01.JPG

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

This is exactly how I want to do mine, 'devil eyes' ans led strips running as you do. Great work, looks very good, could you share where you got parts from?
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

They look good

I did mine a few years ago, with single LEDs, before the mainstream manufacturers started doing solid strips

IMG_2764.jpg IMG_2773.jpg confused-mar13.jpg

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Hi Adam,

The HID projector kits are 2 sets (!) of these: They are bi-xenon, but I didn't use the 'bi', I hooked them up as 2x normal headlight-mode, preventing the 'high beams' from blinding oncoming traffic, so now it's working either as 1 set of main beams or 2 sets of main beams, depending on setting the lamp stalk to 'mains' or 'high beam' mode
    I have MOT-ed them a month ago and they passed straight away like this. The super-high output is fantastic, and if you'd use the 'true' high-beam mode, you'll need to keep switching it on/off with oncoming traffic, whereas the difference in output isn't much. I usually drive in 2x main beam-mode and never got a signal from oncoming traffic in all the months of driving like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Car-BI-Xen...-/161243720021

The LED strips need to be 850mm length. The shorter versions that you can find are just 20mm too short. So I bought this set:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181354822039

Name
    Stefan
    Last Online
    30-01-2022
    Country
    Germany
    Car
    Legnum 25ST-R

Fantastic job Mark!
    the one and only...Pearl White Legnum 25 ST-R...registered in Germany - now featuring a 6A13TT engine (unless you know otherwise)

Name
    Jet
    Last Online
    18-07-2017
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    2000 Galant VR4

Nice work! They look great!

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Thanks @MarkSanne unfortunately one seller not post to UK (wait for email back) and LED strips are sold out.

I try to implement strips in to EUR spec glass lamps so will need to find shorter ones.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Found and ordered LED strip from there http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-...888043645.html

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

nice find! very good price! show us when you start customizing please

Name
    Greg
    Last Online
    27-06-2017
    Country
    Other

That looks nice. I like the strip version. Can you show us a shot from straight on?

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSanne View Post
    nice find! very good price! show us when you start customizing please
    Found the same HID set on UK ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3311808776...84.m1423.l2649
    now I need to think if i want one or two sets, thing is I would like to have two different projectors in one lamp as you can see on modern cars, they are usually different low to hi beam, not sure yet.

I will be playing with this as soon as @mcosworth back from hols as he did conv on his car so will be very helpful with process.

btw, pls tell me @MarkSanne is that evil eyes and angel eyes are separate to run? i mean I not want rings/angel eyes on but want to be able to switch on evil eyes at some special occasions, they have separate wiring?.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Yes they have separate wiring and I have an 7G Galant 'cruise' button installed for those Terminator look eyes in the panel next to the steering wheel, where 3 optional switches can be, like TCL, headlight height adjustment, wiper-heater, etc.

galant-custom-headlight-drl-hid-04.jpg
    Here is it full frontal. However, the LED strip is so bright, my iphone 4s camera makes it blurry, where in real life it is a fine straight line of white light. Probably needs a real camera for such high contrasts. Anyway, you have an idea now

Name
    Greg
    Last Online
    27-06-2017
    Country
    Other

I dunno, I kinda like how it looks like a solid line vs a bunch of LEDs.

Name
    Bobby
    Last Online
    29-03-2024
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Car
    2001 VR4 Galant

Really liking the look of the solid line of light and not the dot dot dot of led's.

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Real good stuff Mark, they look fooking awesome. Any chance you have thought about commissions, I'm not sure what I'd pay for this sort of work but I'd love to know how long it took you and a ball park price if it was something you'd consider doing.
    Last edited by Dimes; 01-11-2014 at 02:40 AM.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Not thought about commission Olie, but I guess the amount of time needed if depending on what you want.
    - 1 or 2 HID projector (Bi-)Xenon lamps
    - LED strip (used as: Daylight Running Light/Parking light and/or connected as side repeater mode (these strips have the orange light function too).
    - Main beam electronic adjusters
    - Anything else?!

The whole works is quite some work, it'll take a good set of hours for each headlight for the full works.
    I do got me some experience as I've recently done yet another Galant/Legnum set for my other ride and did a more simple setup for my mums' VW, my sisters' Colt and my dads' Mazda So getting quite upto speed, but as said: it all depends on what you want exactly.

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Well now you've thought about it............. And still thinking I hope.

I would have mine pretty much like yours mate, only I'd have the LED strip on the top edge like Confused's above.

You're not wrong about the amount of work involved, I've attempted similar projects in the past and just ended up swearing a lot. As such I wouldn't even dream of doing these.
    I'm interested because my car came with single projector angle eye headlamps and HID fogs, they look great but really aren't that bright, the finish and quality are also way less than I'd hoped.
    I'm going to buy spare headlamps for someone to have a go at some point, I plan on keeping my car for life so it's worth having spares, and I do need to change mine sooner rather than later because driving at night is almost scary without full beams on. Having said that I'm not really in a rush so would be quite relaxed if you wanted to take your time and do it. It sounds like you've had a lot of practice already so if you fancy another go at perfecting the craft let me know.

If it's helpful to you ? I could get a couple of quotes for this sort of work local to me and you could compare to see if it's financially viable for you. I'll PM you after making a couple of calls next week.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Sounds like a plan! Let me know and we'll see if it's both worth the time and money to ship back and forth. Alternatively, I could source a spare set of JDM here saving at least one GB>NL transport costs. Let's discuss in PB further

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Very much looking forward to you building mine Marc.
    Quick question, do the LED's come on with the lights or can you set them to the ignition like DRL's ?

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

However you like it Olie! Switched by Ignition would of course require an extra feed (cable) but nothing hard to do, I can explain where/what to connect to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast