Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

HID Problems

Hi guys, I bought some HID Angel eye lights off @Longbow77 after his VR-4 got stolen and trashed. I believe he said he got them from @swinks. The issue I am having is that one of the controllers (not the ballast) has a power pin that has detached itself (was like this when bought) so 1 of the 4 projectors never worked. Me being anal and liking symmetry then removed the fuse from the matching projector on the other side so Ive been driving with just the 2 projectors (not an issue).

Visited @martin71 and he gave me some wiring harnesses with this controller integrated and smaller. Went to fit them today and I can connect everything up apart from the connector that goes into to the Angel Eyes themselves. The connector on the angel eyes is a small rectangular 4 pin connector whilst the connector on the harnes is a 2 pin connector. I have searched high and low this morning and can only find harnesses with 2 pin connectors and cannot find replacement controllers anywhere online that have the same connectors as the ones I have.

If anybody knows what Im on about what would you suggest I do at this point? Is it a start from scratch situation or can I somehow do this with what I have or is there somewhere I can buy the harness with a 4 pin connector?

Any help greatly appreciated as I love the angel eyes and cannot live without them but would also like to drive the car at night lol.

n.b. I havent had a chance to take the headlights out yet so I have been doing it whilst still on the car

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

If the new controller only has two wires going to the 4 pin connector, cut it off and splice wires from the original two pin connector.

If the new harness has 4 wires going to it is a bit of a problem.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Not that simple Dave.
    Once get back home I'll post more details.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Different size shape and gender between the original 4 pin connector and the new 2 pin connector.

The original 4 pin has 4 wires, 1x +V, 1x -V and 2 others I cannot identify yet. (Ive had to down tools to go pick the daughter up lol)

I shall wait out for Tomasz's further details.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Popular and unversal bi-xenon lenses have 2 built-in "gizzmos":
    - angel-eye CCFL (usually 2 silver wires)
    - diaphgram solenoid (black and red wire)
    So depends on type, model and year of production you will get either 2 cables with 2-pin black connectors or 1 connector 4-pin.
    There are also 3 (nowadays maybe more...) different control units. They differ due to control of CCFL rings (built-in or not), or control of diaphgram solenoid (different voltage, control by "+" or ground).
    If your control unit is different than that you got from other source then you have very big chance it won't work.
    There are control units for sale on eBay been sold separately.
    CCFL rings can be powered by separate CCFL inverters and so on.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Cheers for the info there Tomasz, I can confirm I have the 4 pin connector with the 2 solenoid wires and 2 silver CCFL wires.

Ive had a quick look on ebay but cannot find the control units that i have. The stickers have also worn off so no model/part # to search with I shall crack on with searching for these controllers

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Rikki pictures will help.
    Do one of your projector lens and few of both control unit and wiring, maybe I'll find solution.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Havent had a chance to get any today but I do have one of the current controller:

20141003_214310 (Medium).jpg

Will disconnect everything tomorrow and get some decent pics posted up

Name
    martin
    Last Online
    02-07-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    GALANT VR4

Rikki mate,what it said when i bought them...H4-3 HI/LO HID XENON KIT RELAY 12V 35W WIRING HARNESS CONTROLLER... hope this helps us both as im in the dark aswell lol

Name
    martin
    Last Online
    02-07-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    GALANT VR4

can you take some pics of the new ones we got put them up here as my cam is playing up..???? then maybe Tomasz (SWINKS) can shed some light on this ....

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

This is the NEW harness with the 2 pin connector:

20141003_114601 (Medium).jpg20141003_114610 (Medium).jpg

Obviously will be much clearer when I get all pics up tomorrow and you can fully understand the situation and what parts I have.

Thing that is confusing me is that for every search I do the connector in the pic above is referred to as the 'H4 bulb connector'. Now I thought that the larger connector plugged into the ballast and the ballast connects to the bulb?! Meaning that this would then connect to the angel eyes (thats how it works in the current setup).

Anyway as said I will post up comprehensive pics tomorrow of exactly what I have got

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Looks like I have the below G5 kit maybe? When looking at the installation diagram this looks like the exact cables etc I currently have:

http://www.carpartslights.com/g5-hid...005-p-835.html

In the pic below point 1 is the CURRENT 4 pin connector (rectangular in shape)
    Point 2 is the connector 4 pin connector that is connected to the controller (circular water proofed connector)
    Between points 1 and 2 is effectively an extra length of cable that re-terminates the circular 4 pin into the rectangular 4 pin connector.

fm59g5.jpg

Now with the NEW harness/controller point 2 is basically a single 2 pin connector that looks to connect straight into the angel eyes at point 1 missing out the extra length of cable.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

@martin71

Massive headache arghhhh

After much trawling it looks like the harnesses we have will not work with my current setup. (not sure as to yours but suspect it maybe the same). I will need the actual large controller I believe. Only issue with this being that nowhere seems to sell the controller on its own they just sell the whole kit or just the ballasts. Im not prepared to pay over £200 for the full kit just to utilise the controllers.

Bit more digging around to do but may have to possibly resign myself to only driving the VR-4 in the daylight

Someone must sell the controllers on their own!!!

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Well its taken nearly 12hrs of searching but ive only gone and found some dodgy place in china that sells them:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...557666076.html

Only issue being do I actually trust it as the description says they are 'Super Good Quality' lol

Blown up pic:

Projector_Wiring_Harness.jpg

Although incorrectly labelled as the connector that states 'Connects to Projector Bulb' actually connects to the angel eyes. The ballast connects to the bulb itself but this circular leg connects to the angel eyes via a short length that re-terminates the connector into the 4 pin I was on about earlier
    Last edited by Erni902; 04-10-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Name
    Mac
    Last Online
    10-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    LegnumVR4

I think I've got what you need @Erni902 .
    I've got 2 sets of controllers, both with different angel eyes connectors.
    Both brand new.
    Cheers,
    Mac

Name
    Mac
    Last Online
    10-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    LegnumVR4

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Erni902;789725uper/557666076.html[/URL
    Although incorrectly labelled as the connector that states 'Connects to Projector Bulb' actually connects to the angel eyes. The ballast connects to the bulb itself but this circular leg connects to the angel eyes via a short length that re-terminates the connector into the 4 pin I was on about earlier
    This is 4-pin connector for CCFL ring and diaphragm solenoid.

From your pictures I can see that you need old type of controller, one of the fist on the market. so that harness from your last dig may be good one because on very beginning they were using round 4-pin connnector for ancilliares (CCFL and solenoid) and control via main relay.

Harness that @mcosworth offers is 2nd generation one, they changed main control unit and conectors. The same principle, but no easy swap of main units, they different. Only full harness replacement. And second question, is diaphragm solenoid controlled the same way as 1st generation?
    IIRC, this harness may be good for @martin71

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

@mcosworth Thanks Mac but as Tomasz says they are ever so slightly different without the diaphragm solenoid wires.
    @swinks As always mate thanks for the info, so now I know I have the 1st gen connector that should be slightly easier to track down stockists. If not then I will take a chance at the $20 ones from china as the relay looks identical to mine (well the whole harness is lol)

I will do more reading up as its quite an interesting subject. Up until yesterday I knew nothing about HID's or CCFL other than the fact they were fitted to my car haha.

If you told me when I was in school that one day I would actually enjoy learning I would not have believed you lol

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Rikki, that harness from Mac has got solenoid wires. 2nd gen hiss CCFL rings were controlled separately.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Yes you are correct Tomasz my bad. I rushed the response and meant 'with only' as opposed to 'without'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast