Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legumina

Quote Originally Posted by adaxo View Post
    Mainly to avoid air to collect there.
    OK thanks. Well it's under warranty so if anything breaks or overheats these guys will be the first ones I see about it. So far car is running perfectly and at WOT the LPG AFRs go to 9ish so there's no shortage of fuel. Cruise seems a bit lean though - 17 AFR

Edit: Also did some followup reading on the subject, and it seems it is no problem for the LPG evaporator to be above coolant level and many LPG installers do it that way without problems... Well I will keep my fingers crossed anyway.
    Last edited by Grid; 05-08-2016 at 10:54 PM.
    The more you know, the faster you can go. And I still don't know enough.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

Tell me what car is it? circular flap is not a problem.

Attachment 75801
    Interesting... 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 hemi
    Possibly the only VR4 that was driven by the current owner before being registered..... & it's a UK car

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Quote Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
    Interesting... 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 hemi
    Like this one?

jeep.jpg
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legumina

Finally fitted the refurbished AYC pump including an internals overhaul with a OZVR4 kit, braided hoses, a new accumulator and solenoids rebuilt with billet steel tips so they no breakie no more.

DSC_0857.JPGDSC_0843.JPG

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    26-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    UK VR4 4dr Auto

Like this one?

jeep.jpg
    Yuuuup! Easy to relocate? It's currently tucked under the bumper on a towbar socket which is ok until you have a broker wrist & torn ligament in your ankle so near impossible to get to right angle without falling over on the forecourt lol. Might plan a night out in Manchester

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Easy? No, doable? Yes.

You may plan night out in Luton instead :-) with @fassi1 as my lack of time makes hard to do anything bar my job and family duties.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    11-06-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Grid View Post
    OK thanks. Well it's under warranty so if anything breaks or overheats these guys will be the first ones I see about it. So far car is running perfectly and at WOT the LPG AFRs go to 9ish so there's no shortage of fuel. Cruise seems a bit lean though - 17 AFR

Edit: Also did some followup reading on the subject, and it seems it is no problem for the LPG evaporator to be above coolant level and many LPG installers do it that way without problems... Well I will keep my fingers crossed anyway.
    Vapouriser will be fine above coolant level on cars with closed pressurised cooling system like VR4'S one (most Japanese cars) where expansion tank is not pressurised.
    Wouldn't get away with it on VW or Audi where expansion tank is a part of a system with fluid flowing through it continously when in operation.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    11-06-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Grid View Post
    So this happened today (well it wasn't strictly I that did it, but I made it happen)

Attachment 75797Attachment 75798Attachment 75799
    Reducer should be ok, that's not such a big issue as long as it's bled properly, but ECU above rear turbo will be cooked. Can you still read chassis number with ECU fitted there?

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Ok, this is my last post about this lpg conversion in this thread, I can bet it will suck coolant off vap when cool down instead off expansion tank when it should do, yes car will run like that BUT WHY??? not do it right at first time? I can understand that if there's NO OTHER OPTION but in vr4 its a perfect spot under battery to fit vap as it been said in the book, below coolant level, if installer cant be bothered to do it right so what he's actually bothered with?

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    11-06-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

On this occasion expansion tank coolant level doesn't matter. This kind of system like VR4 has once filled up with coolant and bled properly, should never get air in the system as long as there is coolant in the exp tank. System will not suck coolant from reducer instead of tank, because reducer is a part of a pressurised system. When it cools down and pressure drops down in sealed system, coolant is pulled out of the expansion tank. As long as system was bled properly to start with, there will always be coolant in them reducer. My outback has exactly the same cooling system with expansion tank fitted just behind radiator so the top of the coolant in the expansion tank is well below the top of radiator and radiator always remains filled up to the top rather than matching coolant level of the expansion tank. My reducer is above the expansion tank too and I don't need to bleed it every week.
    Cooling systems differ in the way they work and that determines where you can or can't fit reducer.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    11-06-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Other more important thing is that this reducer on it's own will not be enough. May hold the pressure, but may freez up if you give it some beans. Will be fine on normal day to day basis.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legumina

Quote Originally Posted by fassi1 View Post
    Other more important thing is that this reducer on it's own will not be enough. May hold the pressure, but may freez up if you give it some beans. Will be fine on normal day to day basis.
    LPG is not for race use, also I am told that there are some options that could be switched on like firing both LPG and a % of the Pb injectors when on WOT. So far for the occasional traffic lights GP there was no problem.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    11-06-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

My personal understanding as a installer is that whatever car is capable of on petrol, it should be capable of on lpg and that is achievable. Otherwise convertion is not complete, it's only partial. Most reputable installers have the same approach.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legumina

Quote Originally Posted by fassi1 View Post
    My personal understanding as a installer is that whatever car is capable of on petrol, it should be capable of on lpg and that is achievable. Otherwise convertion is not complete, it's only partial. Most reputable installers have the same approach.
    In theory yes - an installer should pick the right components, install them and then tune BOTH the EFI and LPG ECUs. Since LPG ECU can only control fueling and not spark timing, and timing is affected since LPG has a different burn rate under different conditions. In practice it's a compromise - especially with our EFIs and their convoluted logic. In Poland there is literally nobody who is able to tune the EFI of a VR-4, so also no LPG installer wil be able to do it.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

get an openport 2.0 cable and ecufalsh and you can tune the timing and fueling, if you have the correct ecu. then all you need is a wideband to monitor the result of the changes.

my car run more power on LPG than on petrol because i can push the timing further on LPG due to it being a more knock resistant fuel than 98 octane petrol. i would have to fit a water methanol kit to run the similar timing advance.
    so at the moment i can only go to WOT on LPG. i have to be careful on petrol otherwise the engine will knock its t*ts off.

at some point i will change the ecu code to switchable maps and use the output from fuel change over switch to swap the maps from petrol to lpg with the fuel switching. this will let me max out the ignition on the LPG and dial it back on the petrol.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    11-06-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR4

Well this is a very long subject. Installer doesn't have to play with EFI ECU, that's not a part of a standard conversion, unless that was the part of agreement.
    The reason for that is that lpg as a fuel doesn't affect ignition timing at all and standard settings are absolutely fine, even more engine is a lot safer when running with standard advance timing on lpg. That doesn't mean that ignition timing can't be tuned for lpg specifically. Standard ignition timing set up is never aggressive and is safe for both fuels petrol and lpg. Once timing tuned specifically for lpg, it may not be safe on petrol any longer
    and for that reason picking up right components is so important cause switching over to petrol at high load and rpm is not safe for the engine at all.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

A few weeks ago, my dad gave me his old caravan, as he's got a new one:

lFv99akh.jpg

Last weekend I emptied out the garage, and sorted everything out into some new storage boxes.

Last night, I went to buy a car trailer

U5hMfgHh.jpgnjTkL57h.jpg4RZH8Ikh.jpg

The Legnum towed the (empty) trailer brilliantly, didn't realise it was on the back of the car, and does a pretty good job with the caravan, too! It's nice having the power to accelerate up-hill to overtake lorries which are slowing for the hill! And, I'm trying my very best to get to the speed limit as quickly as possible!!

18mpg when towing isn't brilliant, though!

I do have a transmission oil cooler fitted, so don't worry, I won't be overheating my gearbox! Would be nice to have some switchable maps on it though, and tweak the change points etc when the trailer/caravan are hooked up.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legumina

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    18mpg when towing isn't brilliant, though!
    Are you kidding me :-) I am struggling to get 18mpg when the Legnum is just hauling me in the driver seat and a suitcase in the trunk. Which is exactly why I had LPG installed, that basically doubles the mpg in money terms

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I can usually get around 25mpg on a run, so the drop to 18 with the caravan attached is quite big!!

I really should get LPG fitted to mine, should have done it years ago - but I never seemed to have the money available to actually buy the kit upfront (especially with getting the Anglia on the road and playing with it since it has been on the road)

Name
    Daniel
    Last Online
    29-06-2023
    Country
    England
    Car
    Legnum VR4 LPG

Depends of actual car but filler behind fuel cap is doable in almost all cars, issue is its not allowed to use by UKLPGA association so it will not be certified by them.
    Is this because you are need to use an adapter with it? It's something I'd like to change on mine.

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast