Last Online
    18-04-2015
    Country
    Australia
    Car
    Legnum vr4 2001

Power upgrade!

Hi all,

I have a 01 legnum I have had for two years now. It has been well looked after with 3inch exahst, upgraded front mount, 3 port BC, evo 8 bof, hard piping, high flow fuel pump, TME tune running 14psi a getting around 200kw atw. interested in trying to find some larger turbo/turbos for the girl so I can increase boost pressure safely and experience another 100kw I was hoping!

Qs:

- should I keep it twin turbo?

-What is involved in changing the turbos to upgraded single/double

- I have been quoted around 3k for the job to trasfer and single second hand evo turbo I feel this is reasonable..?

-What else can I do as far as air intake goes and holding boost pressure. As it seems to spike at 12-13 psi.. and will rarely hit the full 14psi unless its been spooled up for at least a couple of seconds and reasonable speed.

- Is there anything in the way of cooling the air through the front mount or piping- GOTTA LOVE THOSE COLD NIGHTS!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Which way to go is a very personal thing. Single is probably easier, but then you could end up with something that drives like an Evo and lose all the low down torque. 3k in AUS$? That sounds too cheap to me. Maybe labour rates are cheaper for you? Which turbo have you been offered?

If I ever find some time to have a go at my own projects, I want to go twin TD04. It should allow me to get 400bhp ish at the engine, plus retain some boost at lower revs. I personally don't want to lose a lot of torque to gain the power.

Whatever you decide - keep us informed! Project threads are my favourit!

Name
    Kev
    Last Online
    15-01-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Leg vr4/9-5Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    Which way to go is a very personal thing. Single is probably easier, but then you could end up with something that drives like an Evo and lose all the low down torque. 3k in AUS$? That sounds too cheap to me. Maybe labour rates are cheaper for you? Which turbo have you been offered?

If I ever find some time to have a go at my own projects, I want to go twin TD04. It should allow me to get 400bhp ish at the engine, plus retain some boost at lower revs. I personally don't want to lose a lot of torque to gain the power.

Whatever you decide - keep us informed! Project threads are my favourit!
    Nick do you think the td04's from the gto will fit without clearance issues?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

There are a couple of VR4s running GTO tubs. One was built by gowf originally but is now owned and tinkered with by Blue (Chris.W) - the other was built by kryton and is now being enjoyed by Colin Wiltshire.

Scooby WRX TD04s will fit the stock manifolds better but other than that I can't comment too much on clearance issues as I haven't got far enough down my build to have worked it all out.