Thread: fuel pressure regulator question.

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

fuel pressure regulator question.

Had to re fit the wilbro fuel pump as my spare stock was giving up think its coz the ecu is maxing them or there just old.
    Anyways gone back to wilbro which over rides the stock fpr so had to fit adjustable on went a bit mad as went for the 400+ as i cant be assed to change it in a years time when td04s go on anyways. Im not 100% when it comes to fpr ive put some in but its always been setup and mapped without me turning a key.
    Anyways its on its adjusted to 38-40 psi no vacuum but when i add the vacuum the pressure on idle dosnt drop all though nore dose the pressure drop off when you blip the throttle like it use to so to summarise.
    Wilbro pump, d1 spec 450 fpr same as tommi and sard, set to 38-40psi but no drop at vacuum. Should i worry?

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I don't have a pressure gauge on mine but I'd say that the pressure not changing with changing manifold pressure is worrying. How is the FPR manifold pressure pipe connected?

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Its off the boost controler sensor ill try putting it strait off the back of the manifold prob is there is only 1 manifold vacuum pipe and all gauges sensors ecu everything has to come off it.
    All i did was take the stock reg pipe off and put it onto the afpr.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

The stock FPR pipe comes off the plenum near the throttle body towards the front of the car. Why not use that?

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

From my experience any good fuel pump over 255lph requires top quality fpr. James, you don't need 400+ lph fue pump even for td04. It's overkill big time. Anything good brand 255lph is sufficient enough for application 400-500 bhp.
    Whith big pumps froblem is, that not every fpr can cope with increased pressure in rail. Most of fpr are diaphgram and spring construction. And everything relies on quality build. With all respect, but D1 is not a reputable brand. Whatsmore there are so many fake SARD ones, that it happend few times that known shops were selling fake sard's not knowing that.
    I ran Aeromotive 340 lph fuel pump in my vr4, and setting up was a bit challenge, with advice from Ben@Eurospec I removed hardwiring (from previous 255lph setup) and repalced Aeromotive fpr with Tomei one. Simply, pump was too powerful that many fprs could cope (no pressure drop), and in my case sard and aeromotive didn't performed well.
    Having said that, I would recommend you checking vacuum source first. Then replace 400+ monster with old good 255 pump and you can hardwire one in case you worried about fuel demand. Then either genuine sard, aeromotive fpr (lot of fakes around) or reliable Tomei one.
    Try to setup 43-45 psi (no vacuum).
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

I have 3 that i can see
    1 is the brake master 1 is next to that for the turbos
    And on above the tb that goes to the carbon canister

Just looked the stock one came from the intake pipe not the manifold why im seeing no difference and prob why stock kept braking fuel pumps and getting over loaded by wilbro

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Solved the vacuum was running from the intake pipe why it was being so poor on fuel and blowing up pumps as it wasnt seeing vacuum so was just building up pressure in the line down to the pumps

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Have a look at the picture in this post, it shows how the vacuum/boost pipework should be connected.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post278716

Bye for Now!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Good link, Dave. That diagram also shows the vacuum pipe to the stock fpr solenoid, and roughly where you will find it on the plenum.

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

The stock fpr was running from plastic boost pipe from tb to intercooler with no pressure decrease with vacuum pipe on.
    Now put it into manifold itself and getting 40psi not conected and 30 conected.
    Fuel pump is wilbro not hard wired i know you can get pressure fluctuations from running too big a afpr but as i want 350-370 at the wheels that puts me around 420-450 at fly and going with the slightly bigger afpr gives me the choice to go more + it was the only one i could get at the time as need the car working for 8th may hence all the work.

The probs i was having may explain alot of my fuel problems i was getting and the fact the map was limited last time due to the fuel pump and fuel pressure.

Im slowly going threw a list of everything that need sorting to get the car right before i go mad.
    I dont intend to run a big 300+ fuel pump pointless for the level i want if the 450+ afpr itsnt right ill change it but as i could get a semi decent one not cheap £20 crap and was only one i coild get at time if it lasts fine if not then ill be ordering a sard but as this is exactly the same as sard and tommi and is from a proper shop atleast i have some come back.

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

I think we confused on the pump im running after reading over this post.
    I have 255l wilbro not a 450+ pump
    The fpr is rated for 450+bhp the smaller one is good for around 400-450 hence i went with the slightly bigger afpr.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by billybobboot View Post
    I think we confused on the pump im running after reading over this post.
    I have 255l wilbro not a 450+ pump
    The fpr is rated for 450+bhp the smaller one is good for around 400-450 hence i went with the slightly bigger afpr.
    Here we go... I was convinced that you got 450lph Walbro. Any pump 340+ lph is PITA to get right setup with stock rail, fuel lines etc.. Hence my post above. For your demand 255lph is absolutely perfect, should be fine up to 320 hp at wheels, and hard wired up to 350 level at wheels easy (from experience Evo world ). So, no need for change fuel pump then. If your fpr is ok after sorting out vacuums then I would leave this till you serious upgrade, in that case I would recommend you Tomei fpr.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

It sounds like the FPR was using the wrong air source for its reference. The throttle butterfly restriction creates the vacuum in the manifold so if the reference point is the wrong side of the butterfly it won't be altering properly.

You still haven't said where the original FPR piping is going?

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

The stock one had the vacuum pipe coming off the black intake pipe that clamps to the tb the wrong side of the throttle body this is why it was munching threw fuel and running rich on tick over and destroying fuel pumps and why the map was so hard to get right while off boost. And prob why the injectors were maxed out.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Sorry, when I said I still don't know where the original pipework goes I meant as it leaves the plenum, not as it arrives at the fpr. Presumably you have a pipe going nowhere from the plenum now? Originally it would have gone plenum, fpr solenoid, fpr.