Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

Help,

To start I have changed the injector seals and strain baskets, changed the loop on the fuel rail, (for the larger 1, from group buy ) Thinking the fpr was plumbed in the wrong way, I swapped the hoses.

When I started after putting everything back on, it ran a bit rough, fair/fuel gauge was showing 8, checked fpr said 0 pressure, so swapped them back and pressure was fine.

It is still running (just) very very rich. gauge still shows around 8. Got smoke coming out exhaust (running too rich)

I did unplug stepper motor.

The revs were up and down, then car stopped, will just about start again, but I don't fancy driving it.

Any one with any idea, please help.

I can't imagine that what I've done, would have this effect. My thought would be the loop, but find it hard to believe.
    Last edited by Colin Wiltshire; 06-06-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Fpr showing 8, 8 what?
    8psi, 8bar, ????
    My fpr gauge read in psi 8 is way to low , 8bar on the other hand is way to high.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

Soz, it's the afr gauge that's showing 8

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

What was the fuel pressure set to?

I would imagine that fitting the larger fuel rail link would effect the set fuel pressure, it is worth cheking.

Is the mad plugged in when reading 8 on the AFR gauge.

Just a thought did you disconnect the battery while messing with the fuel system you were bound to get so fuel spillage?
    If so you need to recalibrate the AFR gauge.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

Fuel pressure was around 43 psi (just over 3 bar) with the vacuum attached.
    I assume you mean the maf, then yes this was still plugged in.
    I didn't disconnect the batt, but have done now over night.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Standard fuel pressure is 43psi without the vac pipe connected. With the vac pipe it should drop to just above 30.
    I would reset this and check AFR again, unless you need higher fuel pressure.

This could explain rich running.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

We will give that a go later, see what happens.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

colin are you running bigger injector?

if so did you rescale the ecu injector settings when you fitted them?

proportionally i think the extra fuel pressure will make more of a difference on larger injectors than on smaller injector.

as for the issue pointed out, the richening up after fitting a fuel loop and new injector seals.
    the only reason i can think of for a richening of the fuel due to the change in the fuel loop and the injector seals was if your old seals were letting in loads of air and you car had be compensating for that with massive long term and short fuel trims or your old fuel loop was blocked to some degree and again the ecu was compensating with massive long term and short term fuel trims. So when these issues were fixed the long term and short term fuel trims are still providing all this extra fuel which is not needed any more and so the AFR is really rich, and will remain really rich until the fuel trims sort themselves out which can only happen by leaving the car to idle. you can monitor the fuel trims with evoscan the parameters you monitor are oxygen feedback (STFT) and fuel trim Lo (LTFT) i think that is what it is called.
    however i don't think this will be the case. i just wanted to explain a possibility.

if you disconnected the battery the AFR gauge will probably need recalibrating, not should if i mentioned this above or not.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Have you got a piece of dirt in the injector when replacing the filter baskets?

I managed that, and it jammed an injector open, causing it to just massively overfuel. I had 1 go like that when I did 6 for my Legnum at home, and now 3 have done the same on the Anglia when I did it at my dads, hence why I'm now just getting a full set of new injectors.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

Right, after batt was disconnected for 2 days, back from work too late yesterday. I re calibrated the afr gauge, unsure if this worked due to me thinking there is fuel sat in the exhaust, because when I got it started, loads of smoke again and fuel was dripping at a fair rate out of it. Adjusted fpr to 43psi (vacuum disconnected). But still continued, held it at 2k for a minute and a blip, it chugged up. After it came to rest it slowly died.

So now I'm taking everything off again.

I'm hoping it's not an injector stuck open. Would trying to take it for a blast help?

Injectors are stock.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

You only need the tiniest bit of stuff to get into the injector when replacing the filter, and it can jam the injector open.

Very easy to see - either switch ignition on briefly and see if it's leaking, or remove injector and try blowing through it with an air line or brake cleaner.

Driving it more will only use more fuel up, and screw up your O2 sensor and cat due to too much unburnt fuel.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    You only need the tiniest bit of stuff to get into the injector when replacing the filter, and it can jam the injector open.

Very easy to see - either switch ignition on briefly and see if it's leaking, or remove injector and try blowing through it with an air line or brake cleaner.
    Thanks Garry, good shout.

Well, i found a stuck open injector, the last one I tried. Just blowing through them, squirted brake cleaner through all of them. That didn't make any difference to the last one.

Luckily I have 6 spare injectors from either mine or Swinks's old engine I had forgot about. Can I get away with just swapping 1 over (obviously not touching the filter basket) Also they have been sat in the garage for around a year.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yeah you should be ok - I swapped just one on my Legnum and it appears to be just fine.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

That didn't work. So over wkend going to change all injectors for the old and swap back fuel loop. Have noticed multiple exhaust leaks from where manifolds meet down pipes all the way back. It is booked in for a new custom straight though exhaust with noise contol valve, if I can get there.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

Think I'm getting good at this, less than 2.5hrs from start to finish and I wasn't rushing. After doing it 4 times in a week also getting fed up doing it, and borrowing other peoples cars to get to work.
    Well I must of made a mistake the 1st time checking the injectors, because after I swapped all of them for the old 1's from the garage, I found another stuck open injector. 2 now.
    Have to wait to see if it has worked, because my wife did a night shift last night, so still in bed.
    I have everything crossed that this issue is now done with. Although I will have to take it all apart again when the new knock sensor arrives.

Name
    Colin
    Last Online
    31-05-2022
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant vr4

The cars running reasonably smoothly again. still a lot of smoke, but that could be fuel left in back box and wrap on down pipes as is leaking there too. Have to check some pipes when cool as was making good boost, but sounded like a leak or only one turbo working.
    When I started it, there was a lot of smoke coming up from the back of the engine, appears to be no fuel leaks (and none coming out of the multiple holes in the exhaust lol) I could see a crack on the plate for the rear turbo elbow that meets the dowwnpipe, but unsure if just the ceramic coating, as that has cracked in a few places.
    Getting a new exhaust next weekend so that will be looked at.
    The previous issues are still there, revving by it's self (only noticed on idle) knock sensor light. pulled code 12 13 25 31. The 1st 3 are maf related, the other is knock sensor issue. resetting tonight.
    Also the afr gauge was either showing min or max, nothing inbetween, so recalibrate that as well.
    At least it was a big step forward, I'm fairly happy that I drive the car again.