Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Well, regarding turbo issue it's been many threads on MLR, interesting tho is compressor wheel being so fragile that can "explode", similar flow design as old 78-series TD05 from Evo 9.
    As for engine block and heads, it's more related to Lancer n/a with 4B10 engine, quite lot of those I had read on Mitsumaniaki, usually as result of overheating issues.
    In one instance, one of major Mitsi dealer stepped in and explain that 4B1x engines are very sensitive on oil grade used, which may lead to malfunction of oil pump (too low oil pressure) and as result to insufficient lubrication of timing chain and potential bottom end fails.
    Oh... forgot to mention... electronic throttle body often suffers from electic glitch in SST model putting car in a limp mode.
    Most of Lancers n/a chassis I've seen being at Polish Mitsi members annual meet actually are in as bad condition as our beloved 8g Galants (wheel arches even worse), just hidden enough under all plastic trims all around.

To summarize, everyone has his individual and personal opinion and view. Personally I like Evo X look and maybe if I had funds there back in time I might jump and bought one, but now I'm afraid Evo 10th generation is a massive NO for me, would rather stick to old good E9.
    Well, that's just the brief summary.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by swinks View Post
    Well, regarding turbo issue it's been many threads on MLR, interesting tho is compressor wheel being so fragile that can "explode", similar flow design as old 78-series TD05 from Evo 9.
    As for engine block and heads, it's more related to Lancer n/a with 4B10 engine, quite lot of those I had read on Mitsumaniaki, usually as result of overheating issues.
    In one instance, one of major Mitsi dealer stepped in and explain that 4B1x engines are very sensitive on oil grade used, which may lead to malfunction of oil pump (too low oil pressure) and as result to insufficient lubrication of timing chain and potential bottom end fails.
    Oh... forgot to mention... electronic throttle body often suffers from electic glitch in SST model putting car in a limp mode.
    Most of Lancers n/a chassis I've seen being at Polish Mitsi members annual meet actually are in as bad condition as our beloved 8g Galants (wheel arches even worse), just hidden enough under all plastic trims all around.

To summarize, everyone has his individual and personal opinion and view. Personally I like Evo X look and maybe if I had funds there back in time I might jump and bought one, but now I'm afraid Evo 10th generation is a massive NO for me, would rather stick to old good E9.
    Well, that's just the brief summary.
    Tomasz

Not unhappy with info or arguing about personal opinion or views but it sounds like problems covers range of E10 models which include saloons, hatchbacks, Ralliart, turbo and n/a...

And with this post it appears that some of faults are not across the whole range but certain problems with particular cars/specifications...

I have a Lancer RA - turbo hatchback with SST and ACD/AYC pump - some owners have mentioned poss timing chain issues - some inc me have had ACD/AYC pump failure - no other issues for me...

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Chris, you're right, some of issues maybe more specific model related.
    For me, the most troblesome is Evo X with SST drivetrain.
    IIRC, Lancer RA has different turbo, more reliable TD04 or am I barking on a wrong tree. I'm not 10th gen. Lancer expert at all.

Name
    Gib
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

A big thanks to Chris for meeting me in Leeds today and letting me have a look around his Lancer Ralliart. The boot space is considerably bigger than the Evo X. Plenty of toys and a decent amount of performance as standard. A much more sensible all round car for daily duties.

Planning to change after winter now so will have to keep an eye out for average prices etc.

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    22-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Lexus IS300h

Thinking about this again. What about a Honda Accord Euro R? In no way a VR4 substitute but looks good, quick and must be much more fuel efficient if driven carefully.

Name
    Gib
    Last Online
    12-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Evo X FQ480

Quote Originally Posted by andydckent View Post
    Thinking about this again. What about a Honda Accord Euro R? In no way a VR4 substitute but looks good, quick and must be much more fuel efficient if driven carefully.
    How often would you drive carefully though?

Anyone want to take a guess at my average MPG in the ISF over just under 4 months and just under 3000 miles?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Next car?

5.0 V8 IFS
    20mpg

Sent from my space-aged gizmo

Bye for Now!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

18mpg.

Name
    Andy
    Last Online
    22-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Lexus IS300h

Quote Originally Posted by giblet View Post
    How often would you drive carefully though?

Anyone want to take a guess at my average MPG in the ISF over just under 4 months and just under 3000 miles?
    Well it's the boring yet essential slow drive to work I'm thinking about. You just can't go fast these days.

Hang on. Have just found an amazing Saab 9-3 estate with 2.8 l engine. Now that might be a worthy replacement. Reasonably affordable too.

Name
    Dev
    Last Online
    01-07-2017
    Country
    Ireland
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

I was reading through the posts to see if anyone had mentioned the turbo x. It was a toss up between it and the Legnum last time I was searching the market. Dunno what it is about them that appeals to me. Also so many tasty volvos. Iv a swede tooth.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeebuzz View Post
    I was reading through the posts to see if anyone had mentioned the turbo x. It was a toss up between it and the Legnum last time I was searching the market. Dunno what it is about them that appeals to me. Also so many tasty volvos. Iv a swede tooth.
    Bravo!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    rory
    Last Online
    06-02-2017
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    1989 E39A VR4

Nissan stagea, old one has r33 gtr running gear with 2,5 gts engine or the autech one is a full 33 gtr estate. R34 front end can be fitted too so looks awesome. The later ones are good too but v6 instead of the rb engines

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678