james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

conrods

Just wondered if there are any standard rods that fit with a little modding? E.g. grinding a little on the block. Im not sure if im going to forge or not it adds about 1-1.5k to my budget but then im starting to push what i can get away with so didnt know if there was a slightly stronger rod i can fit? Ive frond pistons for about 500 but rods are still in the 800s once delivered and in the uk. Didnt know as said if there was a stock conrod you can put in just to help. Im not going mad with boost or anything just dont want the will it hold in my mind she would kill me if i spat a rod threw the block now. But need to keep cost down a little already had to prove my 3.5k budget is only half used and i only have stock alt parts left to buy and the remap

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

No.
    I've looked into this fairly in depth
    BMW M3 3.2 conrods are close but will still need extensive machining/resizing and different pistons to make work so not worth it.
    You can fit the stock rods with late model evo 8mm ARP rod bolts which will help a bit, see post #85 on my build thread on OZVR4
    http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/adams-9...c.13822/page-5

How much power are you aiming for with this build? we have reliablily pushed 400+ wheel hp from stock bottom ends here in NZ. with just twin TD04-13T turbos and the same cams your getting.
    Keep in mind and engines reliability is largely down to the tune. a good professional tune is somewhere where you want to invest a good chunk of your cash

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Ill list all mods and what im looking at running as i dont know whit ill hit but i want around 300 at wheels and around 380 at fly which ever is first.
    I plan to run .5 bar with boost controler off (i know its out of my turbos abilities thats the point i dont need 300-400bhp to sit in traffic and get to the shops.)
    Ill set first boost controler setting at .8 bar and full at 1bar but will have car mapped at 1.2 just incase my boost does ever creap up from a surge?
    Mods
    Reground cams and new springs
    3000gt tdo4 turbos with t19 anti surge housing
    550-720 injectors
    Uprated fuel line from rail to rail
    Uprated fuel pump
    Aftermarket fuel pressure regulator
    Fcon v pro gold standalone with afm removed running map
    Custom air box with focus 2.5 rs air filter
    Ally rad
    Lower temp thermostat
    Oil cooler and relocated oil filter
    Evc 5 boost controler
    (Will have custom turbo - downpipes)
    Aftermarket downpipes
    Evo decat
    Full 3 inch system half way splits to 2 2.75 twin exit
    Bilstine coilovers
    Evo stage 4 6 puc clutch with evo ultra light flywheel
    Greddy intercooler kit and pipes with blitz adjustable bov and greddy saftey valve set at 1.3 (cant due to fuel cut but mean it cant do over 1.3 bar)
    Rebuilt gearbox with evo insides.
    Evo lsd
    Rebuilt rear diff with rebuilt ayc pump
    Brembo custom brake 4 pot at front with evo pads and discs
    Rear is stock but will be evo 2 pot
    Running carbotec pads
    235/40/18 bridgestone and pirelli tyres on lenzo wheels not a buckle in sight.
    Think thats it
    Planning on getting evo 8 diff (have to be wise and convince the wife its something elts.)

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Looking into getting meth water injector as if i can ill have it mapped on bp fuel as i have a prob when go on holiday of getting fuel as shell is not around in very remote places like Shetland Islands and even bit of Cornwall have been a 30-50 min drive just for fuel to then get back to where we were with only 1/4 tank better off. But if i have to will be shell and will have to use an octain booster for hols

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

conrods

I am sorry you have a 3.5k and still have half left and you bought all this stuff ready to go on the car. Where have you got from, have you stolen it. Lol
    Have you actually bought all this stuff or not ordered it yet. Or have you got your adding up wrong
    I would love to see an itemised list of cost.
    I am sure anyone you love to get hold of that list of part for £1750 are you talking new parts.

Bye for Now!

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

The only thing not ordered is the rear diff and rear calipers. And having the remap done
    Ive got a 2.5-3.5k budget hence why im wondering to spend on rods as pistons can take it compared to rods

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

What i didnt mention is ecu intercooler were already on the car. The advantage of free delivery from the states lots of bit from nz posted as refurbished or gift and a good deal of hunting.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

if you only want 300hp at the wheels you don't need forged internals.
    we have made that on stock turbos with cams here on multiple occasions

and the stock pistons are just as rubbish as the stock rods. and you can't just do the rods as the forged rods don't work with stock pistons, all of this has been detailed in other threads before.

also 3000GT/GTO TD04's are rubbish, not much bigger than stock TD03's and definalty not worth the hassle of fitting. your best getting TD04L's with the 13T or bigger compressor from a WRX Subaru.

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Im running td04-19t. The exhaust housing is quite a bitbigger on the 3000gt than stock + a td04 19t is a lot bigger than the 9t stock.
    The reason i asked is i know there a week spot hence why i asked. I was running everything on its limit with stock turbos were maxed, injectors, fuel pump my turbos would give 1 bar and drop to .9 if i upped it it would give 1.2 at full throttle then just drop down to .9

I went with td04s as i needed new turbos so why not upgrade.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    Today
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

Right so they are 3000gt turbos but with the upgraded compressor. What tiurbine is on them. The Stock gto TD04 or TD04L? Or TD04HL?
    Either way 300whp does not require internal engine modifications

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

[QUOTE=billybobboot;805013
    my turbos would give 1 bar and drop to .9 if i upped it it would give 1.2 at full throttle then just drop down to .9
    .[/QUOTE]

This is quite health for stock turbos depending what type of boost control you are using, they just can,t flow enough air to keep up with demand at the top end of the rev range. With really good/trick boost control you might be able to 1.0 bar above 6000rpm.
    Or if you run effectively no boost control and just let the spool as much as they want. But this one is Not recommended.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Gowf ran 400 hp and 450 lb ft on stock internals. I thought he did that on gto tubs too, but which spec I am not sure. Blue runs the tubs now I think so maybe he can say? @Chris.W

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Im running stock gto exhaust housings and wheel normal td04 with a 19t wheel in a 19t anti surge housing. Gives very slightly lower spooling than the td04l and much quicker than td04hl.

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    04-08-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '96 Galant VR-4

@NickMann - yup I have Gowfs old set up in my car. They are twin Td04 from a UK spec GTO which has slightly bigger and better tubs than the jap spec GTO. No idea why the UK got better tubs but they did. Possibly down to us having lower octane rated fuel (98/99ron to japans 100 and something ron).

I run a slightly bigger fuel pump than Gowf did, and a twin plate carbon ceramic clutch. Plus I use a Gizzmo EBC, where he ran boost control off the vipec ecu. But it is the same manifolds, tubs, down pipes, exhaust, injectors, fuel rail, fpr, ecu and inter-cooler that was fitted to his car. I have the printout somewhere of the dyno run when it was all fitted to his car.

As with mine, his was on stock internals and made over 400bhp with around 450ft/lb of torque. Mine was extensively mapped to the same spec but then dialed back slightly to keep it usable for every day driving.

For me these tubs are great, they spool well and proved a good acceleration across the rev range. A stand alone ECU with a good map on it makes all the difference too. My car, with all the mods as shown in sig block at bottom of this post has set me back easily over £10k. But when the set-up was originally developed on Gowfs car it had cost in excess of £23k. To be fair he had things I don't have, like a wrc spec rear diff, remote oil system, solid nylon engine mounts and full polly bushed suspension.

As an example my twin Td04 equipped Galant, has more power than my mates 2004 Porsche 911 Carrera S. Fair enough the VR4 is also heavyer and 4wd, but from a standing start and up into triple figures it will out accelerate the Porsche all day every day.
    '96 Galant VR4 manual
    Uprated intercooler
    Siebon Carbon bonnet
    Carbon roof
    Custom 3" straight through Exhaust
    Tein Super Wagon coilovers
    BBS alloys
    Mintex 1155's
    Hell braided break hoses
    Gizzmo IBC
    DE-restricted
    Dump vlv.
    Td04's
    Custom exhaust manifolds
    Custom 2.5 - 3" downpipes
    Custom intake pipework
    Twin filter set-up
    Vipec ECU
    SARD FPR
    RC Racing 550cc injectors
    Modified fuel rail
    HRC HR342 fuel pump (340lph)
    Relocated battery
    A/C removed
    Slim push fans x2

'97 Legnum vr4
    Evo Enki's
    Custom cat back exhaust
    HKS mushroom filter
    De-restricted
    Brembo's on front
    Now breaking for spares

More to come, eventually.

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Thanks chris gives me some hope.
    What injectors are you running i was looking at 550 or 720 some have used 1000cc but that seams far to high i was thinking 550? I dont want over fueling issues on tick over due to injectors being too big

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Ignore my post just saw them.on your list i didnt see them to start.
    Like you i plan to map it higher then wind it back a little.

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Chris as to size of turbos its not uncommon for the uk to get more power than japs due to there restrictions they had in japan but rest of world didnt.
    Not noticed how the legnum, supra, gto, skyline all came out in japan with 286bhp. Uk normally got alot more uk supra tt got 330 with 4 pots jap got 286 with 2 pots

Anyways thanks to your post and list i fairly happy my setup will be fine and have all the bits i need. Just got the ecu to sort as its running hks fcon but not sure what plug in sensors its running or if it has a fcd fitted as it hits fuel cut at 1.1 bar
    I was looking at running it stand alone but as piggy its far easyer for air con ect. Need to find a hks dealer to speak to them but i fear they will just wanna sell me stuff than give me the info i need

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    04-08-2023
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    '96 Galant VR-4

Always happy to help bud. Two things I forgot to mention tho:-

1. I have no air con, the pump has been cut off at the bracket to keep the pulley as an idler pulley. The only reason for this is when the manifold guys made the front manifold the aircon pump was not fitted and they thought there was a nice big space to route the down pipe. But hey, that's why powered windows were invented

2. My wiring loom has been adapted. The type/make of injectors I have fitted have required the need to have ballast resistors (I think that's right - I'm rubbish with electrics) fitted in the part of the loom that runs to the injector harness. And also rewired at the plugs connecting to the injectors because they had a slightly different plug/connector type (think it was just size or shape).

Never ran a piggy back unit so can't comment on how well they work. I do like my vipec tho as it has all the functions I could ever want i.e. can be configured to operate boost control, launch control, rev limits raised/lowered) etc.

With regards to the cars in Japan only making 280ish bhp, that would be down to the industry wide "gentelmans agreement" that no road car would be sold at above 280 bhp. I don't know if this was for insurance purposes, but officially cars such as evo, legnum, gto, skyline, supra, imprezza etc were sold as producing 280 bhp when in fact some of them were actually higher rated and closer to or over 300bhp straight from the factory. But all documentation had them on paper as 280bhp.

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

How thought full of them to use you extra space!
    Im going to be running civic coils just got to sort a mount point for the plate that holds the rear coils.