Alastair
    Last Online
    21-09-2015
    Country
    England
    Car
    Galant v6-24

Unhappy Front Disk Brakes.

After 10 years my front disk brakes were juddering when braking after a motorway run, I believe only when running hot.
    I had the disks and pads changed about 2 years ago and once again they are juddering.
    has anyone else had this problem and if so is there aq cure, or does it mean more new disks and pads?
    Thanks, A.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

did some work on a car recently with brake judder.
    pads looked ok, disks looked ok, and on closer inspection one of the pistons in one of the front calipers was stuck, the dust cover round the edge of the piston was perished and was letting water and dust into the piton caliper mating surface. so this could have been the reason for judder, only one piston working on a 2 piston front caliper. it is possible.

this is just one possibility even though the pads and disks looked OK, the pads and disks were changed at the same time as the piton was freed up. so who knows what fixed the judder.

it can also be no sliding slide bolts so the pads are only touching the disk on one side, this is never good.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legumina

What Davezj said, it's worth checking out. If the calipers are in order, there could be brake pad deposits on the disc itself causing the judder. This can happen when the brake pad is overheated repeatedly without being broken in first. Most shops will tell you that your discs are "warped" and need to be replaced. In reality deposits can be "cured" by having the discs resurfaced on a brake lathe. However check first that the discs aren't worn beyond minimum thickness specification - if they are then resurfacing them is not an option.
    The more you know, the faster you can go. And I still don't know enough.

Name
    menno
    Last Online
    21-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legnum VR4S
    My Garage
    Visit

Check for rust on the wheelbearings: it should be (or make it) blank on the disc-side.

Name
    Nev
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4+Panda+shed
    My Garage
    Visit

Juddering can also be caused by leaving your foot on the brake after a heavy stop. This can cause a hot-spot on the brake disc, changing the properties of that area of the disc. The standard VR-4 and V6 brakes are probably fairly susceptible to this due to being a bit small for the weight of the car, so more likely to get very hot.

Avoiding leaving your foot on the brake when stationary is good advice anyway!
    October 2023 fleet status: 100% operational

| Legnum VR-4S | Fiat Panda 100HP !! | a blue one! | Avensis T-180 | VR-4 parts van! |

Why not become a full member of CVR4 and enjoy the additional benefits membership brings?! Information here.

Name
    Kevin
    Last Online
    19-07-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 Legnum

On my V6 Galant I found after 2 sets of disks I had the judder back again! A bit later at around 98000 Miles the wheel bearings on the front were showing a lot of play after I jacked up the car, on one of my investigation hunts before winter sets in.

Got the bearings changed. I did the disks and pads AGAIN! and it never returned. I took that car out to 120000 odd miles as a daily driver and I like to enjoy my cars. Judder never came back so take all the advice hear and go forth...