Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Gear ratios difference, not turbo v6, & 6A13TT

Anyone know if the V6 non turbo has different gear ratios to the VR 4, is there a thread somewhere with gear ratios for different models gearboxes listed
    Updating Soon!! 1998 Legnum VR4, fully serviced every 4500 miles. Fully Amsoil'd. Falken 453's, EVO 8 FQ320 rear diff.

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Pretty sure they're different. In my VR2 (thus using the V6 N/A gearbox) has a long 2rd gear where I reach over 100km/h before rev limiter kicks in. Can't imagine this being the same for the VR4 manual gearbox. That said... I've only driven automatic VR4's in my years...

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

I am pretty sure the boxes (external) are the same, just wondering re gear ratios and if they are interchangeable?, physically, shaft size etc.
    I was told by a rally garage repairing a manual box that the gears were treated ? and induction welded, and they were confused as the guy had broken 3rd gear!, ( they were repairing a car I was looking at buying a long time ago , so possibly the internals are different?.
    I know the Evo cogs will fit and ratios can be chosen etc, but just wondering about the V6 manual box as an option for manual conversions as they are more common than manual VR 4 boxes.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

No. The 4wd non turbo boxes have weaker gears as its all smaller.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Is the actual box (casing) smaller?, or could you fit the Evo gear sets into the casing?

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

haven't looked into it that much but the output splines to the transfer case are much smaller which means the center diff is smaller, and I'd imagine the casing is smaller to suit.
    only way to get definitive answers is to buy one and pull it to bits and compare
    I know the STR's use a 225mm push clutch too not a 240mm pull type so that wont hold the torque of a turbo 6a either.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Hmmmm!, there's no easy way with Mitsubishi lol!.
    I was just looking at options of getting manual boxes into vr4's!.
    I thought the non turbo gearbox would be the same size and we could fit uprated gears from Evo boxes into the non turbo box casings the updated shafts from the Evo also fit.
    Anyhoo !, I don't think it's a goer:/.

Easiest way may be the Evo 8 box straight onto the v6tt!, just not sure how available Evo boxes are, or 2nd hand cost. I Will look into it!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

UK spec V6 cars are all FWD and the gearbox is different enough to be not at all helpful. Unless you want a FWD car.

Evo 5 speed boxes are very similar, I suspect that you could buy one and then get a bell housing from Mitsubishi to fit that to the 6A13TT. This is the box that is basically the same and the reason that ratios are changeable between the manual VR4 and the 5 speed Evo.

The 6 speed box has been done before but it isn't as straightforward.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, but you would still need the Manual VR4 Bellhousing to mate the Evo box (4,5,6) 5 speed to the 6A13TT block.
    Was there ever a 4wd non turbo model!.
    I have the info on the 8 box, it's not too complicated!, but not as neat as the right parts!

The manual cars seem to be quite rare, so it limits the conversions also!, just looking for options to make a manual conversion a bit more available.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Evo 7 and 8 also had 5 speed boxes in some models.
    Sometimes mitsubishi suprise with a cheap price so it might be worth asking a stealership how much for a bell housing.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

Good call!

Name
    Glenn
    Last Online
    18-04-2024
    Country
    England
    Car
    FL MT Type-S

Louis

What are you trying to achieve?
    From memory none of the EVO Manual boxes will really give you any benefit. Except if your looking for shorter gearing?
    1st and 2nd and 5th gear ratios from one of the EVO gearboxes wil help with getting to 60mph with near red lining the engine and also give a slightly lower 5th cruising revs, as they are slightly higher. Can trembler which EVO it's from though off top of my head.
    Think it was Kenneth who has fitted them though, so search through his user name should bring something up.
    Only other option is to change the Final drive to make all gears taller. But this will obviously affect acceleration, but wouldn't have thought it would be much of a problem if running more boost and better fuel to that of standard. The Final drive I looked at was 3.73 and was by a company called TRE(Think from OZ or NZ? Standard VR4 final is 4.111.
    I have got all the data sheets on gearboxes for all EVO,s somewhere. I'll take a look for it when I get home from work.

Name
    Louis
    Last Online
    23-03-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    Scotland
    Car
    Legnum Vr4
    My Garage
    Visit

I am looking at ways of getting around the rarity of the Manual conversions.

Basically, at the moment, if you want to go from a automatic, triptronic box and change to a manual box, you are very limited.
    Either a wrecked Manual VR4 or one that someone is breaking and these are quite rare.

Pedals, clutch fluid cylinder, gear shift and other parts can be found on other UK Galant models and are interchange able.
    An ECU from an auto can now be flashed with the manual car ecu data, (most of them can).
    so the main parts that are limited is The actual Gearbox.

It is possible to change Evo gear sets in the 5 speed Evo box to get the gearing similar to the VR4 gear ratios. So, it is a lot easier to get a hold of an Evo 5speed box, and different gears are available, and uprated shafts are available.

So, with this in mind, the only part required that is not easily available is the VR4 Manual bell housing, (and poss clutch arm and release bearing,although I believe the ones from a UK manual Galant will fit).

So if a VR4 Manual bell housing can be found, all the other parts are much easier to obtain.
    And this would be better than waiting around for someone to break a VR4 manual car, of which there are not that many.

I am also looking at making adaptor plates that would enable an Evo full bell housing and box to mate to the VR4 V6 engine, (with appropriate flywheel spacer etc).

It is not a straightforward gig, as you mention the gear ratios in the evo boxes are not ideal for the VR4, BUT, the gears are available to buy individually as is the uprated shaft. so it is an option as an alternative way to change from auto to a manual set up. (albeit a bit more complicated.

I have seen Kenneth's Thread from quite a while ago re the gear sets etc and all these are available in the UK.
    I also have the info on the Evo boxes, and as Kenneth has done, you can pick and choose for (Ideally) quicker acceleration in 1st and 2nd, and better cruising in 5th.

Just a side Project which may interest a few