james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

throttle body quick swap to test if mine is going/sticking

Just wondered if anyone in the dunstable area had a throttle body i can test on my car. Im having a few idle probs had it before the build and think its down to the choke valve on the tb. As idle can be ok then can also be very irattic and hunty.

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Heading back to the area on Monday mate. Hopefully I will be stopping by the purple vr4 (in Northampton) either saturday or sunday so if I get time I can remove it and drop it in to you

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

Yer ill be in sat evening as working till 5 or im about sunday sure i can sneek out for 10 mins.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

think you are talking about the idle stepper motor as it is commonly referred to on here.

yes they can become sticky, however they can be removed, stripped and cleaned. just be careful of the orings they have usually been soaked in oil so have expanded quite a lot and will not fit back into place very easily personally i would buy a replacement oring for the seal that goes from the idle stepper motor to the throttle body. It is usually this one that is a biggest pain to put back in.
    when you are done and fitted your new oring dont through the old oring away clean it in carb cleaner or equivalent, then let it will dry out in the air, it will shrink back to it original size in about a week or so. then you have one to swap back in the next time you have to take the idle stepper motor off.

by the way the oil/oil mist/blow by gasses comes from the rocker cover breather pipe that goes back to the inlet pipework pre turbos, or from a turbo oil seal failing. the oil mist from the rocker cover is suck back into the inlet pipe work so it can be burned as part of the emmission system.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Rikki
    Last Online
    26-01-2021
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4/350Z/Focus

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    think you are talking about the idle stepper motor as it is commonly referred to on here.

yes they can become sticky, however they can be removed, stripped and cleaned. just be careful of the orings they have usually been soaked in oil so have expanded quite a lot and will not fit back into place very easily personally i would buy a replacement oring for the seal that goes from the idle stepper motor to the throttle body. It is usually this one that is a biggest pain to put back in.
    when you are done and fitted your new oring dont through the old oring away clean it in carb cleaner or equivalent, then let it will dry out in the air, it will shrink back to it original size in about a week or so. then you have one to swap back in the next time you have to take the idle stepper motor off.

by the way the oil/oil mist/blow by gasses comes from the rocker cover breather pipe that goes back to the inlet pipework pre turbos, or from a turbo oil seal failing. the oil mist from the rocker cover is suck back into the inlet pipe work so it can be burned as part of the emmission system.
    If its the stepper motor then yes I agree with Dave above but I also have a brand new O-Ring you can have to go back in it, had no dramas after I removed and cleaned mine then re-installed it with new o-ring

Name
    james
    Last Online
    15-01-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    legnum vr4

I did think about cleaning it but wanted to swap it just to make sure as didnt want to clean it then think its not that as it could still be sticking so wanted to swap it if all good then ill clean it and try if not ill just go buy a new onecan get them for about £80 so not too bad. Mine is prob full of oil as my old turbo seamed to give out a little oil.