Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

My new purple Legnum aka Grimace

Soo I've gone and bought myself another VR4 Legnum
    I saw it up for sale on trademe for $1 reserve and ended up owning it for $1700 so a bargin

TheGrimaceLogo.jpg

Its is stock as a rock... but not for long
    Type S Facelift sporting the McDonalds Grimace shade of purple (Trigger)
    Tip-tragic slushmatic shocking excuse for a gearbox.
    Momo steering wheel
    Red fleck interior
    just shy of 180,000km with the cambelt done at 111k

it was filthy when I got it here are a few trademe pics. Its hard to see but all the clear coat is missing off the bonnet and the paint was covered in tar, along with some suspect white stains on the back seat and dust absolutely packed into the engine bay

426495556.jpg
    426495748.jpg

I had to pick the car up from Dunedin last Sunday, gave it a quick once over to ensure It wasn't going to **** itself on the drive home. the engine was nearly completely empty of oil and the front brake pads were seriously low but enough meat on them to get home. so I topped it up with oil and set off home. On the drive home it became alarmingly obvious that the front brakes were in need of attention as the rotors were severly warped and its in desperate need of spark plugs.

so come Monday, off the discs came to be machined. Then Tuesday after I got the rotors back I put them back on the car and drove it to my mates work where there is a hoist. we put the car up on the hoist and gave it all a once over, bled the brakes, changed the pads to some new metallic ones, flushed the trans, replaced all the blown bulbs (high stop light, left fog light, right reverse light, one brake light). we also tried bleeding the AYC but for some reason his scan tool packed a sad and it wouldn't actuate the pump so that's still on the need to do list

I also managed to pick up some Ralliart 4 way damper adjustable shocks for it on Thursday so now it sits a bit lower and rides a bit nicer compared to the stock marshmallow shocks.
    12348638_1092986787391896_78845957_n.jpg
    12366571_1092986764058565_1963121960_n.jpg

Then this weekend just passed I spent all of Saturday polishing, washing, clay-baring and waxing it trying to get the paint back to somewhat decent condition. I managed to get some shine to the bonnet again but its not perfect anyway, however the rest of the car where the clearcoat was still in tact came up mint!
    heres how it looks now all cleaned up with the Ralliart shocks in

20151212_185341.jpg
    20151212_185614.jpg

All in all its a pretty damn good car for under 2k will make for a good weekend cruiser over summer. I am loving having air conditioning again.

the to do list is as follows

the urgent things
    -Transfer case oil
    -AYC oils and bleed
    -Power steering fluid flush
    -clean the jizz stains off the interior with a wetvac
    -remove the 6CD stacker out of the boot that doesn't work.
    -Get a head unit with a AUX input and/or a CD slot that actually works
    -decent panel filter

the next steps on a long timeframe as the white wagon is still priority

post my spare clutches off to TME steve to be rebuilt and track down pedals, cluster and shifter so I can trade that lump of crap auto for beer money at the scrap dealer and put in a real gearbox so it does more than 320k to a tank of gas haha

when I yank the auto out and manual it ill probably do the cambelt, idlers, tensioners, seals etc at the same time and if the cambelt is coming off it would be rude not to pull the cams out and give them a bit of the ol' Kennelly cams treatment and regrind them.

then a 3port, in-tank fuel pump, and 600x300x76 FMIC and a reflash.
    once all that's done Ill leave it at that mods wise as that'll be enough as I don't wanna get too deep into this car as I will probably sell it after the white one is 100% running and road legal again. unless I decide the white one is going to get a cage and go full track spec in which case Ill use grimace as a tow car.

may also biff my Rays wheels onto Grimace for the mean time too as I quite like the bronze on the purple
    20151212_175105.jpg

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Nice looking car, it my fav colour, and you right about the wheel it suits the car.

What are you, or have you done with the peeling clear coat, is their a way to fix it or polish it or can you get away with respray of clear coat on the area which has peeled.
    I have the same issue albeit in a very small area.
    Last edited by Davezj; 14-12-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Heh! Sounds like you are going to have fun.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    17-04-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Legnum Type S M

As ot says in the big post I polished and waxed the bonnet (as well as the rest of the car.) It came up ok but im just going to buy a second hand one if I find a decent one for decent money.

Yeah theres a bit of work left in it but once Its done It should be worth between 5 and 6k so should be able to turn a profit on it when the time comes to sell it.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Today
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

sounds good,
    i will give the wax and polish a go to see what results i get.
    Last edited by Davezj; 15-12-2015 at 09:30 AM.

Name
    Lauri
    Last Online
    31-10-2018
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Galant Vr4

My car has the same colour and this colour seems to be rather good at fading. Actually they looked a bit darker when they were new. And I had the same problem with the paintwork. After polishing it seemed that there wasn't much lacquer left. Luckily I got the carbon fiber bonnet. Sideline of the car has more lacquer left (i had a tool for measuring distance to metal). All this just shows that these cars have been in rather hot conditions. If those would have been here for the whole time problem would be rust instead of paint fading and laquer pealing. Paintwork protection systems help but they won't stick to paint which is already bad. even if it were polished.

Mine had a ****ty gearbox too. Even when the oil looked good the shifts were bad.
    -00 Galant Vr4 Type-V
    + Equipped with Type-S arches, genuine wind deflectors. only thing missing is the sunroof
    + Red interior with recaro front seats
    + Momo steering wheel
    + 600x300 FMIC, Custom hardpipes
    + Custom Downpipe+ Fujitsubo Legalis Super R slighlty modified/Custom catback + custom decat + Custom air intake with big K&N cone filter
    + BC Racing Coilovers
    + Advan RCII 17"x7,5 rims
    + Flexifuel /Gasoline + Ethanol E85, 850 cc injectors
    + Manual conversion with evo clutch (a standard clutch)
    + 2 x TD04-13T
    + Adam's 262 -cams
    + Xenon -projectors
    + Carbon fibre hood
    + About 450bhp/ 570Nm at the moment....with stock internals and clutch...