Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Dimes View Post
    I sometimes regret it. And then I drive it.
    If yours is rust free Garry ? Do it
    Nope, it's quite rusty. Rear arches, front arches, front suspension turrets, plus various dings/scrapes all over the body (mostly car-park ones, but 2 that are my fault), and the interior is getting more and more rattles and squeaks - it does have 170,000 on the clock (the first 45k of that were km, the rest is miles).

I rarely use the car any more (I work from home), so it's only work trips, or other long distance drives, really, so I've not been enjoying it recently. And, I've got the Anglia for some fun now...

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSanne View Post
    That looks really awesome Olie! Great colour!
    I think I remember those headlights...

What are those side mirrors though? Not sure what to think of these to be honest.

Hey Buddy
    Thanks very much.
    Yes indeed, your handy work is finally illuminating my way. I might change a few things for the next set as it's not a perfect set up, I'm very impressed with your workmanship though.

The mirrors are from almost all classes of Merc from the previous generation I believe.

I know what you mean though, I can't put my finger on it either. Since I've seen the pictures I'm less keen on them myself. They aren't that pretty, they're quite large and don't look very aerodynamic, and you get 8 identical black wires so wiring them in is a bitch.
    I chose them in the main because they were fairly easy to source at a reasonable price and they looked like a good fit without to many modifications, and I quite like the signal light arrangement. I considered mirrors from Honda Civic and VW Golf before settling on these, I now think I might have preferred those as they look less fussy and definitely smaller and more aerodynamic.

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    Nope, it's quite rusty. Rear arches, front arches, front suspension turrets, plus various dings/scrapes all over the body (mostly car-park ones, but 2 that are my fault), and the interior is getting more and more rattles and squeaks - it does have 170,000 on the clock (the first 45k of that were km, the rest is miles).

I rarely use the car any more (I work from home), so it's only work trips, or other long distance drives, really, so I've not been enjoying it recently. And, I've got the Anglia for some fun now...
    Yeah you can't quite make a case for yours by the sounds of things.

Plenty of clean ones waiting in Japan needing devoted UK owners

Name
    Mark
    Last Online
    09-12-2022
    Country
    Other
    Car
    VR2,VR4+Mazda6

Hey Buddy
    Thanks very much.
    Yes indeed, your handy work is finally illuminating my way. I might change a few things for the next set as it's not a perfect set up, I'm very impressed with your workmanship though.

The mirrors are from almost all classes of Merc from the previous generation I believe.

I know what you mean though, I can't put my finger on it either. Since I've seen the pictures I'm less keen on them myself. They aren't that pretty, they're quite large and don't look very aerodynamic, and you get 8 identical black wires so wiring them in is a bitch.
    I chose them in the main because they were fairly easy to source at a reasonable price and they looked like a good fit without to many modifications, and I quite like the signal light arrangement. I considered mirrors from Honda Civic and VW Golf before settling on these, I now think I might have preferred those as they look less fussy and definitely smaller and more aerodynamic.
    Maybe a set side mirrors from a Subaru Legacy previous line then? Those are an almost direct and perfect fit (I think only very limited adjustment to 1 screw-hole needed) and they look much more like they belong on the car and they have the side repeater built in too. I'm sure a search will reveal the details! Not too long ago someone posted a detailed thread about it on here.

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Yeah you can't quite make a case for yours by the sounds of things.

Plenty of clean ones waiting in Japan needing devoted UK owners
    I wouldn't want another one, I would always be comparing it to my current one. I've driven a couple of other VR-4s, and they drive differently to mine, so they would never feel "right".

The options (as I can see them) are:

1) Run it into the ground, and just patch it up to get it through MOTs, whilst saving for something else.
    2) Spend enough now to get it through few MOTs and keep it in a moderate condition (don't do purely cosmetic work), whilst saving for something else.
    3) Do a full restoration on it, complete new respray, sound deadening, replace anything that looks like it needs it, and keep it for many years.

And as for what to replace it with - well I am not sure whether I want something similar to the VR-4 (powerful, 4wd, estate) which is pretty much an Audi RS6 Avant, or whether I get something completely different (powerful, maybe RWD, not an estate) which opens up the door to lots of possibilities (and Alex replaces her Fiesta with an estate), or I just get a boring workhorse estate (low power, FWD, boring) because I've got the Anglia for fun!

That's where my head is at the moment - looking over Christmas at Pistonheads and seeing Audi RS6's is swaying me slightly - but they're very expensive, still £10k for a 2003 model, which is crazy money!

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

They are quite tasteful aren't they 0456b8349114e4700f3332c692f5f059.jpg

A shame I didn't spot those when I was looking. It was very much a matter of looking for a set with LED's, that was my only reason for the change. And I quite miss the power fold of the OE ones now as well.
    I'll keep my eye on fleabay for a bargain otherwise it can wait. My money needs to go oily stuff from now on, that's quite enough of making the car look nice.

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    04-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2001 Galant VR4

I sometimes regret it. And then I drive it.
    If yours is rust free Garry ? Do it
    She's luvlee almost looks orange. Definitely time and money well spent. I like the idea of importing a 96 manual galoon I've seen and spraying it a really dark metallic racing green. Think it would look awesome on the VR4. Just a shame my bank balance doesn't agree with me.
    Enjoy her fella and don't be getting into any more jousting matches with the street furniture. ( quote stolen from @SGHOM ) had to steal that on

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    04-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2001 Galant VR4

Thanks Gareth.
    You have been seduced by the lady in red.
    Ooops replied with wrong quote ^^^^^^^^

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by Confused View Post
    I wouldn't want another one, I would always be comparing it to my current one. I've driven a couple of other VR-4s, and they drive differently to mine, so they would never feel "right".

The options (as I can see them) are:

1) Run it into the ground, and just patch it up to get it through MOTs, whilst saving for something else.
    2) Spend enough now to get it through few MOTs and keep it in a moderate condition (don't do purely cosmetic work), whilst saving for something else.
    3) Do a full restoration on it, complete new respray, sound deadening, replace anything that looks like it needs it, and keep it for many years.

And as for what to replace it with - well I am not sure whether I want something similar to the VR-4 (powerful, 4wd, estate) which is pretty much an Audi RS6 Avant, or whether I get something completely different (powerful, maybe RWD, not an estate) which opens up the door to lots of possibilities (and Alex replaces her Fiesta with an estate), or I just get a boring workhorse estate (low power, FWD, boring) because I've got the Anglia for fun!

That's where my head is at the moment - looking over Christmas at Pistonheads and seeing Audi RS6's is swaying me slightly - but they're very expensive, still £10k for a 2003 model, which is crazy money!
    You make a good point there, I not sure I'd wan't another one either........... But then again...... If it had all the things I wish this one had I would in a heart beat.

Option 1 or 2 make sense, option 3 doesn't only because of the rust. I bet you could make a fresh import feel like yours or better if you did a full restoration
    Option 1 is the most fun and potentially rewarding choice IMO and I bet there are many a VR4 owner pondering the same choices.

As for a replacement, that's always a can of worms.
    The right car for the right time I guess, whatever that is? I've started to look at hot hatches now to try and keep the miles off my other two.

The world is full of fast estates, none of them give you the feeling the VR4 does.

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by bungle View Post

She's luvlee almost looks orange. Definitely time and money well spent. I like the idea of importing a 96 manual galoon I've seen and spraying it a really dark metallic racing green. Think it would look awesome on the VR4. Just a shame my bank balance doesn't agree with me.
    Enjoy her fella and don't be getting into any more jousting matches with the street furniture. ( quote stolen from @SGHOM ) had to steal that on
    Thanks again bungle. She changes colour about three times a day in the right light.

I'm committed now so I hope it's been money well spent. I've been to Eurospec twice since she's been back on the road so I'm doing my bit to give her the best.

There's plenty of Manuals still to cross the seas so don't give up on that idea, a dark racing green VR4 sounds bloody superb.

Good steal......... And yes, I live in fear of slipping on a wet leaf again and hitting a lamp post.

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    04-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2001 Galant VR4

Ha yes it is a bad time of year for it too. I've had a few hairy moments myself lately with the weather. Thank God for the AYC.
    Definitely won't give up on the manual but couldn't bear to sell my FL to fund it I still look out the window at it every night before bed. Bit sad but true. But hopefully the right one will come at the right time.

Name
    Tim
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    '97 Legnum
    My Garage
    Visit

Have you guys never seen a Finesse Green VR4? very dark, looks almost black until the sun shines

'97 Manual Legnum in silver with some subtle mods

My first VR4 - '97 Legnum Dark Green & mean ...it was love at first sight - now sold

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

You make a good point there, I not sure I'd wan't another one either........... But then again...... If it had all the things I wish this one had I would in a heart beat.

Option 1 or 2 make sense, option 3 doesn't only because of the rust. I bet you could make a fresh import feel like yours or better if you did a full restoration
    Option 1 is the most fun and potentially rewarding choice IMO and I bet there are many a VR4 owner pondering the same choices.

As for a replacement, that's always a can of worms.
    The right car for the right time I guess, whatever that is? I've started to look at hot hatches now to try and keep the miles off my other two.

The world is full of fast estates, none of them give you the feeling the VR4 does.
    I have a new rear wheel arch repair section for one side, and the other side isn't very expensive (around £50, max), and my dad will do all the work, so it's free labour (it may just take a few months).

Plus, with my wider wheels, I may even modify it to widen the arches all round (like they do with the RS6) to take the wider wheels without needing the stick-on extensions.

Your final comment is what makes me wonder - an RS6 is a lot of money, and if it doesn't give the same feeling, then it's spending a lot of money on something I might not gel with!

I guess I'm off to look at SkyDiver's project and googling for "wide arch Legnum" to get some inspiration and ideas! Maybe a colour change too away from the Trigger Mauve to something a little more special?

Name
    Gareth
    Last Online
    04-06-2017
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    2001 Galant VR4

Quote Originally Posted by TAR View Post
    Have you guys never seen a Finesse Green VR4? very dark, looks almost black until the sun shines

Don't think so. Sounds good though. I see from the bottom of your post that you owned one of these beasts. I did see a FL VR4 in green for sale thus time last year. Assumed it was sprayed though as I've never seen another. Didn't look as dark as I would like but it was only a photo. The colour I would want would be more like a mallard green from the old cosworths. Fell in love with it during my brief time as an apprentice mechanic. A guy brought his Capri in that was running a highly tuned RS 500 engine and he had it resprayed in that colour. My jaw hit the floor if you google Rusty's Capri you'll see what I mean it is some machine.

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

My first 8th gen Galant was a UK spec V6-24 in Finesse Green. They dropped the green at the facelift though, so I have never seen a facelift VR4 in green.

Name
    Darren
    Last Online
    10-04-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    COTY

Dude, it was a long old time ago that I popped over to yours and you were still accumulating parts!!

The car looks absolutely stunning man, I'd love a full respray on mine as I've now got quite a few different shades of white.

Are they super skirts?

Can't wait for the sun to come back and I'll carry on doing stupid things to my legnum ��

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Quote Originally Posted by Pugme View Post
    Dude, it was a long old time ago that I popped over to yours and you were still accumulating parts!!

The car looks absolutely stunning man, I'd love a full respray on mine as I've now got quite a few different shades of white.

Are they super skirts?

Can't wait for the sun to come back and I'll carry on doing stupid things to my legnum ��
    Hey Buddy, thanks for that.
    Your car has certainly been an inspiration to me over the years. And I agree, your car really deserves a new coat.

The Super skirts are from Peter M via CrazyKen76. Same as yours aren't they? Canards to. The body shop were very impressed with the quality, a shame the same couldn't be said for the vented wings though which didn't make it on to the car.

Yeah man !!! Stupid things...........
    That reminds me, how did the Lexus rear diffuser thingy work out? Any recent pics of yours? I definitely need to do something about my rear bumper and would appreciate any ideas.

Are you showing anywhere this year? I'd like to see yours in the metal again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12