Thread: New to the forums with an 8th Gen VR-4 with a few questions :)

Name
    Aaron
    Last Online
    12-08-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8th Gen VR4

New to the forums with an 8th Gen VR-4 with a few questions :)

Hi guys, just wanted to introduce myself.

Just bought a 1998 Galant VR-4 the other day and have not looked back since. I wanted to get a manual but this tiptronic one was really cheap with low mileage so I jumped on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	436246902.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	74279Click image for larger version. 

Name:	436246465.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	74278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	436247252.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	74280

I'm in the process of doing a coolant change, the previous coolant was nasty as hell and it took many flushes to get the water some-what clear. It only took 2.5 liters of coolant (incl. reservoir tank) after I finished flushing it though which is quite odd.. It got too late and dark for me to keep working on it so I'll check it tomorrow, hopefully it's just air bubbles that need to be cycled out.. but I'm pretty sure the car takes around 7 liters of coolant right?
    I also just got 2 new front tires for it and I've noticed even though they're at a good air pressure, they seem to look flat (not the ones in the picture). Do these cars just have a really heavy front end? Maybe I got the wrong type of tire, or maybe I need to go back to the guys that put them on and complain .

Anyway, I plan to put a lot of work into this car and just thought I'd try and get some knowledge from some more experienced VR-4 owners, anything will be greatly appreciated.

p.s. is there anywhere I can find a service manual? Tried searching for ages and could only find one for the older model.

Thanks

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Welcome to the forum!

That does look very nice and tidy! Condition is more important than gearbox, especially with the youngest of these cars being over 14 years old now, and yours being a pre-facelift, is probably approaching 17 years old.

I would HIGHLY recommend you join the Club as a member, there is a huge swathe of information in the Articles/Resource Library, which you will get access to with your membership.

These cars are quite heavy, but it may just be the type of tyre you have - some just look like they're flat when they're at the correct pressures!

But, if you do have any questions, please feel free to ask - we may point you in the direction of an article that's already been written (rather than replying from scratch), but someone will answer your questions!

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Yes, around 7 litres is a good guess. 2.5 litres sounds like you have only filled the radiator and not the engine, although you can't easily empty the engine.....

Name
    Aaron
    Last Online
    12-08-2017
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    8th Gen VR4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    Yes, around 7 litres is a good guess. 2.5 litres sounds like you have only filled the radiator and not the engine, although you can't easily empty the engine.....
    Yeah I'm really worried now.. can't get any more coolant in and I only put in 2.5l of coolant... I'll go start a thread on the questions section and see if I can get help.