Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Toyota MR2

It was because not all of the devices had installed. The openport cable itself had but when I went into Device manager and there was a listing for "usb <> Serial" with an exclamation mark on it. clicked to update driver and then selected to search the web. The system found and updated these and we were then able to get a connection.

This was on a windows 7 laptop btw. The cable drivers were different to the ones supplies with evoscan and John didn't have any media but thankfully windows was able to find it automatically.

Stuart

Name
    john
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

That's what I was going to say lol

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

So the order you have to do things is,

install evoscan,

then install the cable drivers and connect up the cable.

sound familiar, cough, cough, post 10, LOL.
    glad you got it sorted, software configuration can be a real pain in the backside.

So Remember people every time you update/install evoscan you need to reinstall the cable drivers.

i don't want to confuse things but this also applies,
    i dont think ECUflash messes up the cable drivers when you update it but it might do i have not updated my ECUflash for some time so i can't be 100% sure. if you reinstall/update evoscan it will stop ECUflash working correctly as well. ECUflash uses the same set of drivers for the cable if you are using the tactrix 1.3 or 2.0 so if thing stop working after you do a software update of ecuflash or evoscan, reload the cable drivers.

Bye for Now!

Name
    john
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

install evoscan,

You make it sound so easy Dave, I'ts ok if you have the disc to install the drivers to start with but when you down load them then can't find them to install it get's a bit of a pain.

I did update the evoscan so i did need to reinstall the drivers again,when i get my new cable with the disc hopefully it will be a lot easier to do if i need to do it again.

Anyway at the mo happy days

I did do it before ok but it would not work, still don't know how Stuart found the usb bit as whemn i looked it was not there

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

Getting back to the topic, I've got to go to Pickapart and get a space saver, so might look out for a steering angle sensor. I'm assuming that the part does not exist on non-VR4 Galants (and that's why I can't find it in the manual), is that right?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by mattnz View Post
    Getting back to the topic, I've got to go to Pickapart and get a space saver, so might look out for a steering angle sensor. I'm assuming that the part does not exist on non-VR4 Galants (and that's why I can't find it in the manual), is that right?
    the metal disk and light sensor and sender are in a black plastic case, but with the steering wheel removed and the top and bottom covers around the steering column removed you can see the angle sensor, you might have to remove the clock spring as well to see it i cant remember. it was a long time ago when i fitted my paddle shift mod.

I think the steering angle sensor is only used for the AYC and ASC systems so if a non vr4 does not have these sysem then it will not need the steering angle sensor.
    i can post up a picture of the steering angle sensor if you want, i think i have a spare somewhere. i certainly have a spare clock spring.

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    the metal disk and light sensor and sender are in a black plastic case, but with the steering wheel removed and the top and bottom covers around the steering column removed you can see the angle sensor, you might have to remove the clock spring as well to see it i cant remember. it was a long time ago when i fitted my paddle shift mod.

I think the steering angle sensor is only used for the AYC and ASC systems so if a non vr4 does not have these sysem then it will not need the steering angle sensor.
    i can post up a picture of the steering angle sensor if you want, i think i have a spare somewhere. i certainly have a spare clock spring.
    That would be good thanks Dave. Got my cable the other day, but the VR4's battery is flat from sitting for so long, will have a go tomorrow.

Searching around for info, I've come across some mention of grounding pin 1 of the connector to activate diagnostic mode. Is this necessary for Evoscan to log data from the port?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

I have stated to removed and to see the metal disk you remove the clock spring, not sure if you have to disconnect it.

With a vagcom cable I think you have to put the car into diagnostic mode before you can connect with evoscan.

It has been a long time since I used a vag com cable. The open port 2.0 cable does it automatically.

How you gnd pin 1 is up to you. You can connect pin 1 to pin 4 inside the cable (probably the safest way).
    Or my preferred way is to fit a switch to the car so you can put it in diag mode as and when you want to to check the flashy dash error codes.

Don't trust the error codes from evoscan they are not reliable. Always use the flashy dash method.

Name
    Paul
    Last Online
    09-07-2018
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR4 - S

Had this problem on my car. Kept suddenly pulling left with the asc light flashing. Was the offside front wheel speed sensor intermittent.
    Too much is just enough.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Steer sensor error

Trying to post some pictures up with tapatalk
    I think you can remove the black box sensor from the bottom of the steering column but I am not sure if you can unplug it and remove the wired connector from the plastic clips.

Last edited by Davezj; 20-02-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by galantnight View Post

install evoscan,

You make it sound so easy Dave, I'ts ok if you have the disc to install the drivers to start with but when you down load them then can't find them to install it get's a bit of a pain.

I did update the evoscan so i did need to reinstall the drivers again,when i get my new cable with the disc hopefully it will be a lot easier to do if i need to do it again.

Anyway at the mo happy days

I did do it before ok but it would not work, still don't know how Stuart found the usb bit as whemn i looked it was not there
    Having trouble getting this working, did you have to put the car in diagnostic mode by grounding pin 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    Trying to post some pictures up with tapatalk
    I think you can remove the black box sensor from the bottom of the steering column but I am not sure if you can unplug it and remove the wired connector from the plastic clips.

Thanks heaps Dave (been having a few motivation issues on this problem haha).

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by paulg23 View Post
    Had this problem on my car. Kept suddenly pulling left with the asc light flashing. Was the offside front wheel speed sensor intermittent.
    That was my first instinct as well, but the error code says different

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Steer sensor error

Quote Originally Posted by mattnz View Post
    Having trouble getting this working, did you have to put the car in diagnostic mode by grounding pin 1
    No when you plug the cable into the laptop and start logging data with evoscan it automatically puts the car into diagnostic mode. The dash should flash if you have that option selected under the file menu heading I think.
    The option is to disable the flashy da shy though. The engine light will not flash/ give codes from evoscan connection for some reason I don't know why, but the rest will flash codes. It might be to do with which ecu you are logging.

Do a search on 'basic ecuflash' look at the thread with all the videos linked to it 16 in total I think the first 2 videos deal with evoscan and how to read log files.

This is the thread

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67698

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12