Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

Steer sensor error

Hi all,

Had a bit of a hairy experience driving back from the Coromandel. The car started intermittently juddering and pulling to one side with the ASC light blinking. The car doesn't really have much of the ASC system left, it has been converted to manual spec, including ECU and throttle body.

After resetting the ECU didn't solve it, I ended up pulling the ASC relays and living with the variety of error lights (ABS, AYC, ASC). Putting it in diagnostic mode, the relevant error codes (not pertaining to the missing relays) are AYC 32 [Steer Sensor (ST-N) system (short)], and ASC 36 [Steering Sensor (ST-N)].

I suppose my question is: where is this sensor? Also, is it serviceable, or will I need a new one?

Name
    David
    Last Online
    10-02-2024
    Country
    New Zealand
    Car
    Corvette
    My Garage
    Visit

Steering sensor would be on the steering column I would think. Not serviceable unless it's a wiring fault
    To contact the CVR4 Staff please see HOW TO: Contact Committee or Moderators

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    21-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    ex-Galant VR4

Why would you remove asc, if that's manual and a/t feature, fitted to either pfl and FL models. Permanent feature bounded with abs system. Doing manual conversion you're removing rather tcl.
    Ex: Galant VR4
    Running 268 HP ATW and 443 Nm torque at 0.9 bar
    Now: Lancer Evolution 8 FQ-300
    Running 325 HP ATW and 510 Nm torque at 1.6 bar

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by mattnz View Post
    Hi all,

Had a bit of a hairy experience driving back from the Coromandel. The car started intermittently juddering and pulling to one side with the ASC light blinking. The car doesn't really have much of the ASC system left, it has been converted to manual spec, including ECU and throttle body.

After resetting the ECU didn't solve it, I ended up pulling the ASC relays and living with the variety of error lights (ABS, AYC, ASC). Putting it in diagnostic mode, the relevant error codes (not pertaining to the missing relays) are AYC 32 [Steer Sensor (ST-N) system (short)], and ASC 36 [Steering Sensor (ST-N)].

I suppose my question is: where is this sensor? Also, is it serviceable, or will I need a new one?
    the steering wheel sensor is a metal disk with holes in it and a light source and sensor that makes and brake as the wheel it turned. i cant remember if it is infront of the clock spring or behind the clock spring.not a lot can go worng with the sensor i think.wairing fault or snsor fail, just need replacing, not a difficult job to do, you just need to find a replacement sensor. if it has failed.

the steering sensor might be monitorable with evoscan but i can remember of the top of my head.
    ok so i ahve just checked evoscan and in the AYC ecu section there is a steering angle and steering direction sensor monitor so you should be able to monitor these with evoscan to see if they are working.

Bye for Now!

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by swinks View Post
    Why would you remove asc, if that's manual and a/t feature, fitted to either pfl and FL models. Permanent feature bounded with abs system. Doing manual conversion you're removing rather tcl.
    Ah, I see. I was always under the impression that ASC was linked to the TCL system. The only time I ever see the ASC light is when the car is about to stall.

Quote Originally Posted by Davezj View Post
    the steering wheel sensor is a metal disk with holes in it and a light source and sensor that makes and brake as the wheel it turned. i cant remember if it is infront of the clock spring or behind the clock spring.not a lot can go worng with the sensor i think.wairing fault or snsor fail, just need replacing, not a difficult job to do, you just need to find a replacement sensor. if it has failed.

the steering sensor might be monitorable with evoscan but i can remember of the top of my head.
    ok so i ahve just checked evoscan and in the AYC ecu section there is a steering angle and steering direction sensor monitor so you should be able to monitor these with evoscan to see if they are working.
    Hmm, I don't have access to Ecoscan unfortunately. I have recently changed the steering wheel (about 1500km ago), so maybe I'll see if anything wants reseating. Hopefully I can reset the ABS light without paying $150 nfor the pleasure!

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

if you have a laptop evoscan is only £25 and tha cable to monitor the ECU perameters only is about £5
    probably the cheapest full diagnostic software you can buy for any car, well woth the money.

Name
    Matt
    Last Online
    28-04-2017
    Country
    New Zealand

if you have a laptop evoscan is only £25 and tha cable to monitor the ECU perameters only is about £5
    probably the cheapest full diagnostic software you can buy for any car, well woth the money.
    Oh really, last I looked cables were a bit on the expensive side, although maybe I was just looking at ones capable of reflashing?

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by mattnz View Post
    Oh really, last I looked cables were a bit on the expensive side, although maybe I was just looking at ones capable of reflashing?
    the monitor only cables are really cheap and it would rude not to have one with evoscan.
    i would go for a cable with drive disk just in case you have cant find the right driver afterwards.
    this one is £3.33 including delivery from china
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XIUK-USB-K...0AAOSw-vlVgo~C

Name
    john
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Hope this one works I got it just for the hell of it,

I have one but does not want to work so got it to check its not the cable
    but it did work before and have tryed to get it to work but so far no luck
    �� Maybe this will fix it.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

what opperating system are you using on you laptop, the later windows seem to update the drivers for stuff like this but it does not necessarily work. so the driver disk is a good thing to have. i seem to remember the cable uses some kind of FTDI driver which has been replced by a different windows driver.
    but i could be wrong. one of my mates was saying they were having trouble with serial drivers since upgrading there windows version.

However there was always a conflict between evoscan and the diag vagcom cable. i think if you load the cable driver before evoscan then evoscan will load a different FTDI driver that evoscan has in its install package. then the cable does not work you have to load the cable driver after you load evoscan. i believe this is the same for the tactrix open port 2.0 cable as well.

This is why i am still on Vista, it works i have all the software i need on it and it is configured to work.
    if it anit broke dont fix it.

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legumina

I could never get a generic VAG-style cable to work with Evoscan reliably... OpenPort 1.3U is the cheapest option that makes sense IMO. I still have one for sale anyway since getting the 2.0.
    The more you know, the faster you can go. And I still don't know enough.

Name
    john
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

what opperating system are you using on you laptop, the later windows seem to update the drivers for stuff like this but it does not necessarily work. so the driver disk is a good thing to have. i seem to remember the cable uses some kind of FTDI driver which has been replced by a different windows driver.
    but i could be wrong. one of my mates was saying they were having trouble with serial drivers since upgrading there windows version.

However there was always a conflict between evoscan and the diag vagcom cable. i think if you load the cable driver before evoscan then evoscan will load a different FTDI driver that evoscan has in its install package. then the cable does not work you have to load the cable driver after you load evoscan. i believe this is the same for the tactrix open port 2.0 cable as well.

This is why i am still on Vista, it works i have all the software i need on it and it is configured to work.
    if it anit broke dont fix it.
    I am still useing windows 7 home premium on this laptop as it now a old one, it did work once before when i asked about it and got it to work but never got round to logging any info.

I have tried uninstalling evoscan then reinstall then add drivers but get this message IMG_3503.JPG

could it be that i have the wrong cable selected ? but i did try others and still not working.

I down loaded the cable drivers from the evoscan site the ones it shows on the page sure this is what i did before and it worked.

will try again at weekend and see if ok if i get time.

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

are you selecting the 1.3x cable. and the MUTIII option.

i have the openport 2.0 cable so i have the Open port 2.0 and the MUTIII option

Name
    john
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

are you selecting the 1.3x cable. and the MUTIII option.

i have the openport 2.0 cable so i have the Open port 2.0 and the MUTIII option
    Yes to both and it still didn't work

Will try again

Name
    Stuart
    Last Online
    26-08-2021
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Toyota MR2

Quote Originally Posted by galantnight View Post
    Yes to both and it still didn't work

Will try again
    Where abouts in Surrey are you? I've just received my cable from evoscan and I'm hoping to get the s/ware installed and tested over this weekend. You're welcome to pop over (I'm only a couple of miles from Gatwick) and we can test yours too?

Stuart

Name
    john
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by spope78 View Post
    Where abouts in Surrey are you? I've just received my cable from evoscan and I'm hoping to get the s/ware installed and tested over this weekend. You're welcome to pop over (I'm only a couple of miles from Gatwick) and we can test yours too?

Stuart
    Thanks Stuart,

May take you up on that depends on the weather no point trying to do it if pouring down but there are other weekend to try.

I will try again just in case it's something silly that i missed, hopefully will get to do it tomorrow morning if i have time.

Many thanks for the offer will let you know.

Name
    john
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by galantnight View Post
    Thanks Stuart,

May take you up on that depends on the weather no point trying to do it if pouring down but there are other weekend to try.

I will try again just in case it's something silly that i missed, hopefully will get to do it tomorrow morning if i have time.

Many thanks for the offer will let you know.
    Hi,
    I have just tryed this again and still the same message li you can let me know if you get yours up and working may drive down to you and see if I can get mine going.
    Can you pm me your post code so I have a idea where you are and I pm you mine so you know where I am.
    Thanks.

Name
    john
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

A big thank you to Stuart today sorted my Evoscan out and now i can log whenever i want to.

Many thanks John

Name
    Dave
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

why dont you post up what you did to fix you issues then other may benefit from your experience. As i am sureit will be very usfull information for others.

Name
    john
    Last Online
    26-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    England
    Car
    galant VR4-S
    My Garage
    Visit

Dave I sure Stuart will put up how he done it, I think it's to do with find the correct drivers in there location on your computer and installing them so the USB works.
    Something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast