Last Online
    07-10-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Holden Monaro

Thumbs up 8th Gen Legnum VR4

Hi All

i'm a bit new to forums and stuff like this, but I thought I would branch out into this new world especially as the previous owner donated their Club VR4 keyring to my cause when they sold my car!

I have a '99 Legnum that I bought as a winter hack, but have fallen for its charms and I am thinking about a few choice upgrades.
    Mine has been LPG converted in the past and is fitted with a STAG system that seems to work very well with no discernible power difference.
    It does not have a flash lube system though, does anyone know if these engines suffer from valve ingress?
    I know some compounds of valves and heads are more prone to this in some engines more than others. I dont want to spend money un-neccesarily but dont want to expedite the need for a new set of cylinder heads..

My car has a set of coilovers on it which have seized up and cant be adjusted so was thinking of ripping these off and investing in a new set of coilovers.
    Anyone have any advice on whats best for predominantly spirited road use, but maybe the odd trackday foray?
    Also I think I read on here once someone saying about upgraded anti roll bars??

All I can adjust on my suspension is the damper screw at the top and my suspension and after much playing the spectrum of adjustment goes like this:
    Wallowy, a bit less wallowy, a bit better, to absolutely zero compliance and crashy.

I appreciate everyones taste is unique, but I like suspension to be firm but compliant, ie not so low and rock hard that the springs cant work and you can only drive on a billiard table.
    i am consequently not into the 'slammed' look as I am now too old and un-fashion conscious.. (and appreciative of good suspension that works..)

I have never actually driven another legnum so dont know how good they can be, but i have driven an EVO 4 which was much better.
    Is there a system / set up that gives a firm but compliant ride and feels really agile through the twisties? Something that would give a good sort of 'Nurburgring' set up?

Lastly I get a clicking noise from either side at the front when turning at slow speed under power. Its like CV joint noise in a FWD car. So I guess it may be that.
    Would any 4WD Mitsubishi experienced guru out their think otherwise?

I would appreciate any advice.
    i am based in Shropshire and would be interested to meet up with any of the few other Legnum owners out there if there are any meet ups or anything.

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Tein make some unbelievably good coilovers and I would recommend them against anything else still available for the VR4. I've driven a Legnum on BC coilovers and they were very good also but I went for Tein myself.
    Mine are set on max hardness and mid height and they are almost perfect, they continue to surprise me by what they can handle. I had them set as low as they go but had to raise them to gain some ground clearance due to a new bodykit.
    I also have Whiteline ARB's and a rear strut brace and I still find it a compliant and controlled ride and never harsh or crashy.

Your noise at the front could be any number of joints or arms so good luck with that, there's smart people around here who are qualified to help but I just treat mine like service items and get Eurospec to fit new ones when I feel or hear them failing.

Enjoy your car Alec. I know I'd enjoy mine more if I had LPG fitted.

Name
    Alec
    Last Online
    07-10-2016
    Country
    England
    Car
    Holden Monaro

Hi Olie

thanks for that. I had heard (and read on here) that Tein seem well thought of but I'd never heard of Whiteline ARB's but have just looked at their website and they look ideal.
    so right, thats it then Tein coilovers and Whiteline ARB's are going on at next service.

if anyone reads this and has any or knows of any for sale please contact me.

Alec

Name
    Nick
    Last Online
    20-04-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum type-S
    My Garage
    Visit

I also have Tein. One of the only coilover packages that allows stock ride height.

We really ought to have some kind of meet soon, I haven't had a car day for ages!!!

Name
    Garry
    Last Online
    Yesterday
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mann View Post
    We really ought to have some kind of meet soon, I haven't had a car day for ages!!!
    Well, if *someone* had arranged a rolling road day, like they said they would...........