Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

My new VR4 - Upgrade log

So I bought my third Legnum VR4 from another forum member about 3 weeks ago and have finally started getting the ball rolling for repair work / upgrades.

I'm going to make a note here of everything that I've done and what was used for reference, comments and advice!

Dom who I bought the car from had owned it since import and it came with a wealth of history full of gearbox flushes and a cambelt change which is great. That said the exhaust was blowing a lot from the downpipes, AYC light was on and TCL / CEL on.

Exhaust
    I bought a set of downpipes from Fassi on here and they are excellent - . Car no longer sounds like a machine gun and has a much lower, throaty sound.
    I have also ordered a decat pipe but won't be having that fitted just yet. Waiting for everything to be sorted and a fresh MOT: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2318130074...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Brakes
    The front brake discs have seen better days on the inside so I have ordered these to replace: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1118291902...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Should arrive in next couple of days and will let you guys know how they are!

AYC
    Dom had already gotten a switch for the can and I had the garage fit that with the article on here as a guide and now that's working properly again

ICE / Stereo
    The car actually already had the factory upgraded sound system from stock, but after 19 years all the speakers have frayed from their walls and pop and crackle like mad. I have ordered replacements for all 4 and have a sub from old car.
    I will make a thread for this at the time but I have a JL Cleansweep to take the high level output from the stock amplifier in the boot and relay it to my Alpine PDX-V9 multi channel + mono amplifier. This will drive all 4 speakers and the new sub.
    For the front speakers I ordered these: http://caraudiosecurity.com/ps165-16...t-kit-speakers
    And for the rear these: http://caraudiosecurity.com/165ac-16...-speakers-120w
    My plan is to use the existing wiring in the car as much as possible and since it has the amp in the boot it should be relatively easy!
    I have also ordered a load of sound deadening material for inside the doors: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1511556783...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Turbos
    The car makes a lot of free-air noise when the turbos are spinning and I don't think it's getting quite the boost it should be - this may be because I'm used to a stage 3 BMW 335i at circa 400bhp or it could be something else.
    Maybe there is a vacuum leak triggering the TCL OFF / engine light and letting pressure escape? More investigation to follow.
    Once the above is sorted I will be fitting a dump valve (#childish) I understand the car expects pressure and can have issues with a dump-to-air valve so am intending to go recirculating. Any recommendations?

Suspension
    To be honest for the age of the car the suspension is pretty good! A little creaky but nothing major.
    If everything checks out I intend to get fully adjustable Tein coil-overs: http://www.viamoto.co.uk/proddetail....egnum+VR4+EC5W If I take the plunge on these their's a remote chance I will consider the active EFDC system (which similarly to the AYC uses G-sensors to adjust handling. The difference being it adjusts the damping of the shocks as you corner / accelerate) - it's supposed to be very good.
    I was already intending to renew all the rubber but which arms should I look at replacing as a matter of general servicing?

Near future
    After the general repair work is done to get the car sorted I will be taking it to http://www.evotune.co.uk/ in Durham as they are only 25 mins or so from me to get checked out on the dyno and any remaining faults rectified. From here it's time to consider a newer ECU for remapping, turbos, etc!

If anyone has any advice or dos or donts that aren't too obvious from a long time forum skimmer that would be much appreciated! Oh and pics to follow when the weather is clear one night

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legumina

Recirculating dump valve from an Evo: 1545A001
    1545A001-2.jpg

Makes a subtle blow-off noise, that can be easily heard in the cabin. Not so much on the outside, but will not cause overfuelling issues like open-air blow off valves.
    The more you know, the faster you can go. And I still don't know enough.

Name
    Adam
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    EC5W

Instead investing on standard brakes I would spend a little bit more and get brembos, even with plain discs and standard £30 pads (for starters) they not only looks much better than standard calipers but 4 pistons must do better job than 2.
    His FL Legnum VR4 running 238.8 ATW HP and 500Nm @1.05 bar on LPG
    Hers PFL Legnum VR4 COTY see here for full story
    Looking for AMSoil? click here

living in north west?
    would you like to meet with other VR4 fanatics?
    click here

My recent and ex Mitsubishi's

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Quote Originally Posted by adaxo View Post
    Instead investing on standard brakes I would spend a little bit more and get brembos, even with plain discs and standard £30 pads (for starters) they not only looks much better than standard calipers but 4 pistons must do better job than 2.
    I did consider this but I only have the stock wheels at the moment which I don't believe the brembos will fit on, by the time I have replaced all the wheels and gotten new tyres AND the brakes I'd rather have had the car through an MOT and put right.

Brembos will come and I fully agree the braking definatley needs to be addressed and it is on my extended list

On a side note I dont mind the thread being moved, but is Pictures and Videos the best place for it?

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

I would not get hung up on Brembos...

Choose right pads and braking will be much improved...

Name
    Tomasz
    Last Online
    25-04-2024
    Country
    Other
    Car
    Legumina

I second Chris's comment. Carbotech XP8 are widely recommended on this forum. Personally I am a big fan of Ferodo DS3000 pads. Both choices get you Brembo-like levels of braking on the stock brakes. If you go for the bigger Brembo brake size - running costs are higher - pads, discs all cost more.

Name
    Steve
    Last Online
    Membership ID
    Country
    Other
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Piers1989 View Post

Brakes
    The front brake discs have seen better days on the inside so I have ordered these to replace: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1118291902...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Should arrive in next couple of days and will let you guys know how they are!
    I'm running close on 600 bhp (not a mitsubishi) I've got standard calipers with EBC discs & pads & I can assure you it stops extremely quickly

Name
    Chris
    Last Online
    14-02-2024
    Membership ID
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Scooby thing..
    My Garage
    Visit

Quote Originally Posted by Grid View Post
    I second Chris's comment. Carbotech XP8 are widely recommended on this forum. Personally I am a big fan of Ferodo DS3000 pads. Both choices get you Brembo-like levels of braking on the stock brakes. If you go for the bigger Brembo brake size - running costs are higher - pads, discs all cost more.
    And the need for bigger and more expensive wheels and tyres...

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Thanks for your input guys, I do recall the comments about the Carbotech pads from reading in the past and them being highly recommended.

I do intend to upgrade the wheels and get some chunkier tyres at the same time, just haven't gotten around to it yet so regardless of the brake situation that will probably happen.

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

Hi Piers

I must congratulate you on making a good car choice for the third time. It sounds like you'll have a very sweet motor when all is said and done.

I just need to get all OCD with you and point out you've posted in the VR4 Pictures & Videos section without a single video or picture. Get your camera out Sir.........

Good luck with the restomods.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Quote Originally Posted by Dimes View Post
    Hi Piers

I must congratulate you on making a good car choice for the third time. It sounds like you'll have a very sweet motor when all is said and done.

I just need to get all OCD with you and point out you've posted in the VR4 Pictures & Videos section without a single video or picture. Get your camera out Sir.........

Good luck with the restomods.
    Hi Dimes!

I will be indeed but unfortunately no one part is finished yet! I also posted it in general I think and it was moved to this category!

The car is getting its alternator diagnosed / replaced at the moment - after that I'm hoping to do some more work on Saturday and maybe finish off the sound system.

Name
    Olie
    Last Online
    29-12-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Legnum VR-4

No one part is finished is my default setting when it comes to VR4 ownership, my car has been to Eurospec three times already this year.

Enjoy working on it at the weekend, the sound system should be the easy stuff right? Go to town on the sound deadening, it's well worth it. I did almost every inch of my interior and it sounds great. I don't think I get any vibrations from the body shell now, downside is that I can here every squeak from the interior now instead.

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Quote Originally Posted by Dimes View Post
    No one part is finished is my default setting when it comes to VR4 ownership, my car has been to Eurospec three times already this year.

Enjoy working on it at the weekend, the sound system should be the easy stuff right? Go to town on the sound deadening, it's well worth it. I did almost every inch of my interior and it sounds great. I don't think I get any vibrations from the body shell now, downside is that I can here every squeak from the interior now instead.
    Unfortunately the alternator arrived relatively late on the Friday and because its the larger cold spec one I'm told its being a bit of a bitch to get out and won't come out like in the guide on here as its too large. It should be getting fitted on Monday or Tuesday then when I have a chance I'll do the sound system and get a write up started for that!

Oh - and pics

Name
    Piers
    Last Online
    04-10-2022
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    VR-4 + BMW 335

Ok so this is VERY late.

I got the new front brakes (pads and discs) from the first post, I had the new alternator fitted I bought from here, and the Forge hybrid dump valve too from here! Also have an AFR gauge fitted too.

I have done most of my sound system, I have some pics of doing the front doors but I don't have my camera on my to upload them right now.
    I will follow this up with a write up fully on how I wired everything up using the cars stock cabling but I need to replace the head unit or get a "Summing" unit to add the bass frequencies to the Amp's output for proper sound.

That said what I do have is a timelapse video of me doing both rear doors that I put some basic instruction on for you all to enjoy!
    If it's too fast feel free to pause or slow it down. I rendered it in 4K and the images are form an SLR so there is plenty of detail.

Name
    Graham
    Last Online
    01-06-2023
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Car
    Ford Mondeo 2.2

But you don't do over 40mph Steve

Name
    Steve
    Last Online